Sign in to follow this  
Piyono

Wiping Out 2nd OS Partition - Precautions?

I have a computer with an XP partition that nobody uses, and I want to wipe it out and reclaim the space.

Right now, Win98 is on partition 1 and XP is on partition 2, both are primary partitions. I'm using a standard boot.ini file for OS selection.

If I simply wipe out the XP partition or merge it with the Win98 partition will I encounter any trouble booting?

Here's the content of my boot.ini file, in case it helps:

[boot loader]

timeout=10

default=C:

[operating systems]

C:="Microsoft Windows"

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Piyono

delete the XP partition

set the Windows 98 partition if it already isn't

delete all files on the windows 98 partition which are involved in the NT boot process (boot.ini, ntdetect.com, ntldr - don't know if I missed one)

Oh yes, start with a backup :)

you can delete the XP partition and increase the size of the 98 FAT32 partition with no adverse effects.

If you delete the NT specific files as the above post suggested, you will need to replace the MBR (fdisk /MBR) and put DOS boot files on the 98 partition from a bootable disk (sys a: c:)

If you don't feel like doing that, I would just leave the files as they are - they aren't really going to hurt anything. You may want to edit your boot.ini file and set the timeout to 0.