Sign in to follow this  
LOST6200

WD Weirdness

For some reason that I do not fathom, only 128 GB of a WD1800BB is accessible when the drive is connected via a Firewire bridge (ADS w/Oxford 911). The odd part is that 160GB DM D540X and 250GB DM 16 drives function at the full capacity on the same controller. There is nothing wrong with the individual WD1800BB; two exhibit the same behavior. The drives function normally on an ATA-133 controller. The OS is Win2k if that makes any difference.

Maxtor drives (at least D740X) are listed as ATA/ATAPI-7 (if memory serves right) in DTemp, whereas my WD 1200JB is listed ATA/ATAPI-6 (or even -5, the drive is off-site so I can't check). Maybe this has something to do with the problem, maybe not.

Cheers,

Jan

For some reason that I do not fathom, only 128 GB of a WD1800BB is accessible when the drive is connected via a Firewire bridge (ADS w/Oxford 911).  The odd part is that 160GB DM D540X and 250GB DM 16 drives function at the full capacity on the same controller.  There is nothing wrong with the individual WD1800BB; two exhibit the same behavior.  The drives function normally on an ATA-133 controller.  The OS is Win2k if that makes any difference.

If I remember correctly, the earlier versions of the 911 firmware were limited to 28 bit LBA addressing, hence the 128 GB limitation. You should probably check with ADS and make sure they give you the latest firmware, which is updated to handle 48 bit LBA addresses (a few TB at least)

Yéti

Thanks for the idea, but the latest firmware is from January 2002 and the Firewire bridges are much newer than that. I should probably just get rid of both of the WD1800BB junk drives. I never cared much for Western Digital drives anyway. :(

Thanks for the idea, but the latest firmware is from January 2002 and the Firewire bridges are much newer than that.  I should probably just get rid of both of the WD1800BB junk drives.  I never cared much for Western Digital drives anyway. :(

If you want to get rid of those WD1800BB, I'll take them out from your hands :D I like them WDs. My many machines don't have no problems detecting any of those newer,larger drives :wink:

Seriously, it got to be something... software??? in your machine that cause that. Even my 2 or 3 years old machines with P-III's & ASUS CUSL2 Board don't have any problems! Though, I connected them Via Promise ATA-100 Tx2 and boot right off from either onborad IDE or PCI Adaptor! Machines detected correctly. Just my HO. 8)

Fortunately, I was able to sell the WD1800BB easily enough. :) I will dispose of the other WD1800BB the next time there is a good deal on a Maxtor drive >= 200 GB. No more WD drives for me.

Fortunately, I was able to sell the WD1800BB easily enough. :) I will dispose of the other WD1800BB the next time there is a good deal on a Maxtor drive >= 200 GB.  No more WD drives for me.

That's should work out perfect, :D No more Maxtor Drives for me and I'll not install anymore Maxtor my business's Machines any time soon. :( I'll sell you my last few Maxtor DM+9 200GB 8MB that I use the as storage only.(Store some back up DATA & files) May be that's why you got rid of them so easy even though they're used :!: I like WD much beter. 8)

Ggggggg, No edit option! What I was gonna say was, I'll not install any more Maxtor Drive in any of my business's machines any time soon. I bought a few DM+9 200GB 8MB Cache to try out and I ended up using them as back up or to store back up DATA/Files only. Sold most of them through Ebay. Will get rid of the last few when I can get those new WD 250GB WD2500JBs :?: I'll sale them cheap now :wink: (since they're used for a few days or weeks!)

LOST6200,

No, Nothing's wrong with these Maxtor DM+9s! It just that, my line of works I've got to moves, Copy, Transfer lots of large DATA & Files many time a days and these supposely High Performance Maxtor DM+9 200GB 8MB Cache don't do too good on a real world job. I guess these DM+ are perfectly good for home use, Gamers, MP3, test score claims for those novices, Not for serious jobs. Where are those Maxline II's that Maxtor talking about???

For example, If I were to copy or move50GB, 85GB or 100+ GB of DATA, DivX,Files It took Maxtor MD+9 Over 1 minute per Gig. So if I asks it to do a 100GB Job, I can take my lunch break because My DM+9s going to take as long as 2 Hours :cry:

Now, compare to other brands, Western Digital JBs for example! For the same amount of DATA, WD1800JBs/WD2000JBs only take about 20 to 25 second per Gig. :lol:

I dealth with this kind of works almost every day and it cost me times and money, lots of money that I paid for those DM+9 Because of it many beautiful super fast DATA from many posts and reports and a few web sites that tested. :evil: Those who claims that their Maxtors are suerior to others, Well That's just from someone who want to be an expert! IMHO, That's BS! :!:

Hmmm. In my system the copy time from one DM +9 to another is 24 sec./GB (clean boot, both drives about half full). :) It is a bit faster from one DM +9 to a 15K.3 – 22 sec./GB.