Sign in to follow this  
ZStation

Hitachi Deskstar

I received a Hitachi labeled DTLA-307030 last week, as a replacement for the IBM [same model] drive I had sent in for service.

Needless to say, after the first full O.S. install, it started to make the [not-so] funny noises. DFT shows failure code 0x73, as did the previous two Deskstar's I had.

Don't worry, the brand has changed, but the quality is the same. :x

Anyone actually received a Hitachi labelled drive yet, or are the IBM labelled drives still the norm in the channel?

I Finally received the last 4 60GXP RMAed Replacement From IBM/Hitachi today after a very long waiting. I thought, I'll never gonna get these drives from Hitachi since I sended in when it was IBM in December 2002 :roll: Yes, since the last part of December 2002 :!:

To my very surprised and wonder, Hitachi sended me 4 Brand New Drives with Hitachi name on it say, "Hitachi Deskstar" :)

3 are 120GXP and 1 is 180GXP Brand new! This's the first ever from IBM/Hitachi 8) May be, just may be... Hitachi will try to be a player on the market after all??? Time will tell :!:

Yes, it's Now Hitachi Deskstar Brand.

I have seen a lot of problems reported on the deskstar 75GXP series. I have one that has been working for over 2 years now. So I thought I was lucky...NOT.

I was reinstalling Windows 2000 this weekend and noticed some louder than normal clicks. I used the IBM/Hitachi DFT to perform a check, it reported a problem and it could not fixed it even if I select the 'erase disk' option.

I went ahead and install Windows 2000 and everything seems to work fine. I have not spent any time installing the drivers yet, just the base window. I guess I need to call IBM/Hitachi and find out whether my drive is still under warranty, if so, I might RMA it.

I bought this drive (and a bunch of other things) from an online retailer (mwave.com) and I am not sure whether I should go to IBM or them. I guess I will find out Monday when I talk to IBM/Hitachi support.

If the drive sold as 'bare drive', do they carry their warranty through the manufacturer, or the retailer?

like I've been saying for a while now, show me a working 75GXP and I'll show you a machine that has not been used much :-)

If you use your deathstar, it will die a horrible, premature death, it is it's "destiny".

You should be OK with warranty. Try the online RMA form.

Spinme

I had a pair of 75GB 75GXPs that lived over two years that lived in a RAID0 together. They were scratch disks for the massive amounts of video pirac^H^H^H^Hediting I do.

One of them had a head crash a few months ago, but I don't believe either of them was affected by whatever killed so many other 75GXPs. The other continues to operate flawlessly.

I got a Hitachi-branded 120GXP back for my RMA.

I had a pair of 75GB 75GXPs that lived over two years that lived in a RAID0 together. They were scratch disks for the massive amounts of video pirac^H^H^H^Hediting I do. 

One of them had a head crash a few months ago, but I don't believe either of them was affected by whatever killed so many other 75GXPs. The other continues to operate flawlessly.

kinda scary when "2 years life" is a boast :-)

Whatever happened to the days when drives would just sorta fizzle out slowly (bad sector creep) ---- and usually only AFTER the drive was too small and out of date to even worry about. I have a box of drives that went this way--some probably even still work! They ALL worked for 3,4,5,6 years without problems.

Now we celebrate if we get 2 years out of a drive? ! Sheesh!

Cheers,

Spinme

Indeed, I used it a lot, but never quite tax the hard drive (mostly email, web and MS Office, stuff). The only reason I discover the problem is I wanted to reinstall Windows and heard some loud clicks in the middle of formating. I then ran the DFT. The strange thing is window can install and "seemed" to be working. It was quite by accident I discover the problem before the 3 year Warranty runs out later this year.

like I've been saying for a while now, show me a working 75GXP and I'll show you a machine that has not been used much :-)

If you use your deathstar, it will die a horrible, premature death, it is it's "destiny".

You should be OK with warranty. Try the online RMA form.

Spinme

I got the RMA info from the website, and should be sending it in as soon as I can find those 'approved' package material. (I bought the drive installed and do not have the original package material).

I hope they don't send me another 75GXP.