Sign in to follow this  
dutd33

Norton System Works 2003

In the product description of Norton System Works 2003, one of its key features is that it helps dial-up users keep that internet connection. Right now, my SO is using dial-up because she only uses it to check e-mail and to do research. I was wondering, does this feature of NSW2003 actually work and should I install it on her computer?

Thanks.

P.S. How does a software program actually help keep a dial-up connection alive?

In the product description of Norton System Works 2003, one of its key features is that it helps dial-up users keep that internet connection.  Right now, my SO is using dial-up because she only uses it to check e-mail and to do research.  I was wondering, does this feature of NSW2003 actually work and should I install it on her computer?

Thanks.

P.S. How does a software program actually help keep a dial-up connection alive?

A good many of the computer "repairs" I have been party to over the years involve no more than removing junk like System Works. I would not recommend it for any reason. Personally I feel that it is akin to a virus, albeit one you pay for.

You should be able to disable the auto-disconnect feature in the dial up networking properties to keep the connection active. I assume System Works pings a server or imposes some other minor traffic on the connection periodically to keep it active.

No, dont reinstall system works, however do install Norton Anti-virus off the disk... (you can do this by exploring the disk, and going into the NAV folder, and running the setup program)

A good many of the computer "repairs" I have been party to over the years involve no more than removing junk like System Works.  I would not recommend it for any reason.  Personally I feel that it is akin to a virus, albeit one you pay for.

Couldn't have put it better myself. On the whole, I think I'd rather see a system come in with a virus than with System Works: we can clean the virus off and at least be reasonably confident that the user won't put the damn thing back on again a week later.