Sign in to follow this  
JA

You've got $2000 to spend (well sort of)

If you had to build a P4 system within the next 10 days and were given $2K to spend on the box and its parts, which P4, motherboard, RAM and HDD would you select and why? :P

Pentium 4 2.53 @2.91-->$240.00

Asus p4t533--->$170.00

Samsung 2x256mb 1066 @1200--->$190.00

Lian Aluminum case with Antec TruePower 550kw--->$250.00

Western Digital 2xWD2000JB(two of 200gig drives) Raid 0 with promise Fasttrak133(on board) (after the instant and mail-in rebates)--->$400.00

Western Digital 1xWD80BB (one 80 gig drive) in IDE for backup--->$80.00

Geforce4 Ti4200 (I didn't buy this this time. I had it. I will buy ati radeon 9700pro if geforcefx doesn't come in retail market after two months or performance of it sores)--->$150.00

Sound Blaster Audigy Game--->$99.00

Etc...$200

I will buy All-in-Wonder ATI Radeon 9700Pro and sell current ti4200...that'll make $300.00.

LOL !!.... about $2,100.00 with my future graphics card.

Oh, I forgot the monitor! Jeez...I have a 17 inch monitor and that's why I forgot the monitor.

JA,

Please forgive me,but I just can't resist.I'm gonna take $1000.00 and build a fine AMD Box and send the other thousand back to you.Sorry. :D

P4 3.06GHz w/HT - $650

Gigabyte GA-8INXP - $255

Corsair TWINX1024-3200LL - $418

Maxtor 6Y250P0 250GB w/8MB cache - $378

Why...? Because it's the best you can possibly get at the moment.

I will take rambus over dual channel ddr, cause it is limited to PC2100 DDRRAM at the moment. PC4200 Rambus will be faster. You could get a Radeon9500Pro at the moment that will go faster than the Ti4200 and is more value for money loh. How about 4x DM+9 Maxtor 80GBs with a Promise Tx 4 controller? You might want to consider PC Cooling & components PSUs as they surpass the Antec ones in quality and pricing :lol:. You dun need a top of the line P4, get a 2.53GHz or 2.4GHz one with C1 steppings and have a go at overclocking. Or you might wish to take a look at the XP2800+ that is a better bang for money.

I personally dig:

Shuttle SB51G $320 from essential computer

P4 HT 3Ghz $640 from newegg

1GB PC2700 Samsung $360 from dallasmemory (room for upgrade to 2GB)

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Retail $300 from ?

Maxtor Maxline 200GB 8MB cache from PC Nation for $328

Total: $1948

You don't say if it needs to include software, drives or monitor etc... And what will it be used for?

Personally I'd be inclined to check out some lower spec dual Xeon's. Or go single P4 and a good SCSI setup...

550kW will need some serious cooling and its own powerplant... :)

I will take rambus over dual channel ddr, cause it is limited to PC2100 DDRRAM at the moment. PC4200 Rambus will be faster.

The reason it's limited to DDR2100 is that dual-channel DDR equals dual-channel Rambus in bandwidth (and bests it in access latency).

SiS 655 chipset will have 4/5 DDR ratio anyhow, though :)

PC1066 @ PC1200: Unless I've been out of the loop with the latest RAMBUS motherboard BIOSi (BIOSes or BIOSi?), you'd have to overclock your FSB to 150mhz to get PC1200 Rambus (since it's limited to either x3 or x4 the FSB speed). At that rate, you may as well overclock the FSB on a Granite Bay board MUCH further (180-200mhz) and, with cheaper PC2700 or PC3200 memory, performance is FAR superior to RAMBUS, which has more limited overclocking potential.

PC1066 @ PC1200: Unless I've been out of the loop with the latest RAMBUS motherboard BIOSi (BIOSes or BIOSi?), you'd have to overclock your FSB to 150mhz to get PC1200 Rambus (since it's limited to either x3 or x4 the FSB speed). At that rate, you may as well overclock the FSB on a Granite Bay board MUCH further (180-200mhz) and, with cheaper PC2700 or PC3200 memory, performance is FAR superior to RAMBUS, which has more limited overclocking potential..
What do you want me to do? Do you want me to sell my mainboard and memory to overclock a little more? :x :oops: :cry: :cry: lol Yes, it is 150 fsb.

Anyway, my asus board with rambus is top performance (with 3.6 gig bandwidth) and rock stable. I love it.

:roll: oops :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: 500w sorry lol

PC1066 @ PC1200: Unless I've been out of the loop with the latest RAMBUS motherboard BIOSi (BIOSes or BIOSi?), you'd have to overclock your FSB to 150mhz to get PC1200 Rambus (since it's limited to either x3 or x4 the FSB speed). At that rate, you may as well overclock the FSB on a Granite Bay board MUCH further (180-200mhz) and, with cheaper PC2700 or PC3200 memory, performance is FAR superior to RAMBUS, which has more limited overclocking potential..
What do you want me to do? Do you want me to sell my mainboard and memory to overclock a little more? :x :oops: :cry: :cry: lol Yes, it is 150 fsb.

Anyway, my asus board with rambus is top performance (with 3.6 gig bandwidth) and rock stable. I love it.

I think I misread the post... I was just saying that, for a recommendation for a new system, _if_ overclocking is planned for, then the GB chipset would be faster.

Since you got your system some time before, you got the fastest platform available at the time (and it's still much faster than the popular platforms now) :)

You don't say if it needs to include software, drives or monitor etc... And what will it be used for?...
Good point. I had just returned home from a full day and was very tired when I initiated the thread... sorry about that... Comp will be used mostly for photo/video editing and some gaming (just to lighten-up). :lol:

As I stated (not to well, I admit), I'm prepared to spend up to $2K on the box, including all parts (Case, PSU, O/S, CPU, RAM, HDD(s), Video Card, DVD and CD-RW). Already have the monitor, speakers and all apps, so those items need not be considered within the $2k.

To those that have already given it their best shot, considering the lack of vital information - it's been real interesting... :wink:

True, but you've seen the power usage specs of some of the new Pentium 4's, right? Up to 100w per chip. 8O

And to think people were complaining about the 72w max consumption of the most power-hungry Athlons.

Comp will be used mostly for photo/video editing and some gaming (just to lighten-up).

I assume for video you're doing DV editing as analog capture of decent/professional quality (i.e DPS/Leitch) would take the lions share of your 2 grand alone and require SCSI or IDE RAID subsystem.

With that in mind, here's what I'd spend my 2k on for a nice DV editing rig.

1 x INTEL P4 2.53G 512K BOX 533 70.00

2 x CORSAIR 512MB XMS PC2700 378.00

1 x WD 120GB JB Series (media) 188.00

1 x WD 40GB JB Series (system) 99.00

1 x PIONEER DVRA05 321.00

1 x INTEL D845PEBT2 147.00

1 x GForce Ti4200 115.00

1 x Canopus ADVC-1394 230.00

1 x Case (w/decent PS~300-350W 75.00

1 x Assume you have a floppy 0.00

TOTAL: $1623.00

So, this gives you:

- A gig of RAM (chose the corsair not for OC but b/c it's high quality)

- Great DVD Burner

- Good 3D

- Plenty of space for DV editing (120 GB)

- Firewire (Canopus ADVC)

- Most importantly, analog out for video previews in Premiere/your NLE package of choice (Canopus ADVC). FYI - This is different than the analog outs on consumer video cards as your 15 pin dsub and the RCA analog ports need to be seperately (and simultaneously) addressable by the application/os/etc.

This is an excellent rig for DV Video editing (just built a couple for some clients). Very stable and high performance. For a dedicated NLE (aka no gaming), I'd go w/the Matrox G-550 w/dual video outs for $95.00 instead of the Ti4200 and spend the extra money on another monitor. You can also take the extra $375 bucks and buy a small Sony/Panasonic television for your video previews and/or get a better 3D video card and/or a bigger HD.

Hope that helps.

- FC

1 x INTEL P4 2.53G 512K BOX 533  70.00

<CLIP>

OOPS! That should be $270.00. 8O

That brings the total to $1823.00. Still within budget :D

...I was like, damn, where did the extra money go for building those boxes....

Comp will be used mostly for photo/video editing and some gaming (just to lighten-up).

I assume for video you're doing DV editing as analog capture of decent/professional quality (i.e DPS/Leitch) would take the lions share of your 2 grand alone and require SCSI or IDE RAID subsystem.

With that in mind, here's what I'd spend my 2k on for a nice DV editing rig.

1 x INTEL P4 2.53G 512K BOX 533 270.00

2 x CORSAIR 512MB XMS PC2700 378.00

1 x WD 120GB JB Series (media) 188.00

1 x WD 40GB JB Series (system) 99.00

1 x PIONEER DVRA05 321.00

1 x INTEL D845PEBT2 147.00

1 x GForce Ti4200 115.00

1 x Canopus ADVC-1394 230.00

1 x Case (w/decent PS~300-350W 75.00

1 x Assume you have a floppy 0.00

So, this gives you:

- A gig of RAM (chose the corsair not for OC but b/c it's high quality)

- Great DVD Burner

- Good 3D

- Plenty of space for DV editing (120 GB)

- Firewire (Canopus ADVC)

- Most importantly, analog out for video previews in Premiere/your NLE package of choice (Canopus ADVC). FYI - This is different than the analog outs on consumer video cards as your 15 pin dsub and the RCA analog ports need to be seperately (and simultaneously) addressable by the application/os/etc.

This is an excellent rig for DV Video editing (just built a couple for some clients). Very stable and high performance. For a dedicated NLE (aka no gaming), I'd go w/the Matrox G-550 w/dual video outs for $95.00 instead of the Ti4200 and spend the extra money on another monitor. You can also take the extra $375 bucks and buy a small Sony/Panasonic television for your video previews and/or get a better 3D video card and/or a bigger HD.

Hope that helps.

- FC

IHHO, nice components and good advice - but you're missing an important piece... The O/S !!! So let's add in WinXP Home for $80. I would also highly recommend substituting the ASUS P4PE for $150 for your Intel board. Finally, your definitely a little too 'light' on the case-psu (a decent combo such as an Antec 1080+ with 430W will run closer to $125). So with correcting the obvious typo on the CPU results in a total of $1956. :wink:

IHHO' date=' nice components and good advice - but you're missing an important piece... The O/S !!! So let's add in WinXP Home for $80. I would also highly recommend substituting the ASUS P4PE for $150 for your Intel board. Finally, your definitely a little too 'light' on the case-psu (a decent combo such as an Antec 1080+ with 430W will run closer to $125). So with correcting the obvious typo on the CPU results in a total of $1956. :wink:[/quote']

But, Why WinXP Home??? Anyone in this kind of semi-pro still using XP Home??? Is that what most OEM gives out for free? I wouldn't use it when you can get a full Pro version for $35.00 at Microsoft Store.

IHHO' date=' nice components and good advice - but you're missing an important piece... The O/S !!! So let's add in WinXP Home for $80. I would also highly recommend substituting the ASUS P4PE for $150 for your Intel board. Finally, your definitely a little too 'light' on the case-psu (a decent combo such as an Antec 1080+ with 430W will run closer to $125). So with correcting the obvious typo on the CPU results in a total of $1956. :wink:[/quote']

But, Why WinXP Home??? Anyone in this kind of semi-pro still using XP Home??? Is that what most OEM gives out for free? I wouldn't use it when you can get a full Pro version for $35.00 at Microsoft Store.

If this is so, my Linux TCO numbers may need some readjsutment? May I ask where can you buy a legal copy of Windows XP Pro so cheaply?

I just checked and amazon lists it for $272.99 and Newegg for $143.00.

The OS I would recomend for this machine, assuming Premiere 6.0 for the NLE, is Win2k Pro SP3. In my experience, Premiere 6.0 is EXTREMELY stable under Win2k SP3.

As to the mobo, the P4PE is a very nice board, probably a wash with the Intel. I went w/the Intel simply to emphasize stability though I have always used Asus in the past without problems (my own box is an old P2B-DS). I can say from my personal experience in the last month with this Intel mobo that it does perform flawlessly. However, be sure to update Win2k to AT LEAST SP2 before installing the Intel drivers...that one cost me about two reformats before I figured it out.

As to the case, I guess I buck the trend here a bit. I'm not totally sold on the need, in most instances, for a premium power supply. I've built about 8 or 10 boxes using the variants of the TU-124 Apex Case (w/350W PS) and have never had a problem. You can pick one up at PC Club for $59.99.

Of course, that being said, I got a premium PS for my personal "box in progress", a Verax.

- FC

If this is so, my Linux TCO numbers may need some readjsutment? May I ask where can you buy a legal copy of Windows XP Pro so cheaply?

Yuyo,

Yes, this is a real LEGAL WinXP Pro. A full version not a crapy Home neither! YES, These are at local "MicroSoft Store" Sold By Microsoft in Bellevue-Redmond Campus, Just off from 148th Ave NE. Windows XP Pro. for $35.00! Most other software, Games are all $10.00. 8)

If you don't live here in the area or near by, Well every body know some body and I'm sure, Yuyo... You've got friends live or works for Microsoft :wink: Ask them to stop by the store and pick up one for you!

Why WinXP Home??? Anyone in this kind of semi-pro still using XP Home??? Is that what most OEM gives out for free? I wouldn't use it when you can get a full Pro version for $35.00 at Microsoft Store.

Why did I suggest WinXP Home? I chose the current version of Windows that fits within JA's budget. I don't see why you find it necessary to put-down the Home version of WinXP. The typical home user does not need the additional features of the Pro version so it makes no sense for those users to add bloat they will never use. Furthermore, OEMs most certainly do not give it away free! If JA believes he needs the additional features of WinXP Pro, that's his decision, but I do NOT believe for one second that anyone (outside of perhaps MS employees) can buy a LEGAL copy of WinXP Professional for $35. :roll:

Yuyo,

Yes, this is a real LEGAL WinXP Pro. A full version not a crapy Home neither! YES, These are at local "MicroSoft Store" Sold By Microsoft in Bellevue-Redmond Campus, Just off from 148th Ave NE. Windows XP Pro. for $35.00! Most other software, Games are all $10.00. 8)

If you don't live here in the area or near by, Well every body know some body and I'm sure, Yuyo... You've got friends live or works for Microsoft :wink: Ask them to stop by the store and pick up one for you!

Cau YOU make my friend? Please, I need a good friend and you can be a perfect friend of mine on line, can you not? So I pay you 50 bucks. Can you send me a WinXP Pro and Soldier Of Fortune 2? :oops: :lol:

Why WinXP Home??? Anyone in this kind of semi-pro still using XP Home??? Is that what most OEM gives out for free? I wouldn't use it when you can get a full Pro version for $35.00 at Microsoft Store.

Why did I suggest WinXP Home? I chose the current version of Windows that fits within JA's budget. I don't see why you find it necessary to put-down the Home version of WinXP. The typical home user does not need the additional features of the Pro version so it makes no sense for those users to add bloat they will never use. Furthermore, OEMs most certainly do not give it away free! If JA believes he needs the additional features of WinXP Pro, that's his decision, but I do NOT believe for one second that anyone (outside of perhaps MS employees) can buy a LEGAL copy of WinXP Professional for $35. :roll:

This seems a lot more plausible.