Sign in to follow this  
-Nishiki

Opinion on monitor wanted

I've used them both and prefered the A90f. To me, it seemed to have better colour and geometry.

Either would be an acceptable monitor for general use.

Thanks sechs, the only thing im not sure about the A90f is the 80hz at 1280*1024, is this as flicker free than 85hz, at 75hz i find it s annoying for the eye how it is at 80hz after an hour???

And i only do general use + some game. Should be ok for game?

I''m pretty sensitive to flicker (especially under florescent lighting) and didn't have any any problems with the A90 at 1280x1040 (my prefered resolution). I used a lower-end E90 at work for 8 to 16 hours a day, and didn't have any issues with that monitor's refresh at 80Hz.

I didn't compare the monitors side-by-side, but didn't notice any major differences on how games looked.

-Nishiki, if you are in Canada, there is a A90f deal at Staples.ca  :)

I know willy, that exactly the reason why i asked opinion on this forum. thank for the info :)

I looked at the monitor today and i found that is as lot of moire (did nt know that was moire before i was able to correct the problem with this setting) And i was not able to look at the monitor in 1280*1024 at 80hz, the monitor was only able to run at 60hz.....horrible. The guy at staple said it s the videocard that can not go higher than 60hz at this resolution.....hmmm hmmm (the pc have an GF4mx 64mo) my old gf2 mx 32mo was able to do that resolution at 170hz :roll: When the guy left i tryed to override the 60hz (to 75hz), that worked in windows, but the monitor was still at 60hz???? Do we need Viewsonic driver to make it work ok?

Another thing i worry about is the fact that i was able to see the dot (or pixel not sure how it s called) on the screen and im not able too see them on my slowly dying PanaSync SL70i (From aproximately 1 meter)? I also looked at a 17in hp monitor and samsung monitor and i was not able to see the dot/pixel, i don t understand since the viewsonic is .25mm (diag) and my panasonic is .27. I also looked at the A90+ in the same store and i noticed the same thing, is this like that on all 19inch monitor???

I agree, ditch samsung, go viewsonic. I had a customer trying to use the samsung monitors in dual view config. and it just wouldnt work. they'd change colours, geomatry would suddenly jump... but only if 2 monitors where plugged in, unplug 1, and everything would be hunky-dorry... So these monitors cant be too well shielded or something... The customer ended tradeing up to the Viewsonic monitors, and they worked perfectly...

i was not able to look at the monitor in 1280*1024 at 80hz, the monitor was only able to run at 60hz.....horrible.  The guy at staple said it s the videocard that can not go higher than 60hz at this resolution.....hmmm hmmm (the pc have an GF4mx 64mo) my old gf2 mx 32mo was able to do that resolution at 170hz :roll:  When the guy left i tryed to override the 60hz (to 75hz), that worked in windows, but the monitor was still at 60hz???? Do we need Viewsonic driver to make it work ok?

I had a similar problem with my Quadro DCC and Detonator 4x.xx drivers, when I reverted to 30.82 Detonators everything worked fine. You could try it out. Hope this helps.

i was not able to look at the monitor in 1280*1024 at 80hz, the monitor was only able to run at 60hz.....horrible.  The guy at staple said it s the videocard that can not go higher than 60hz at this resolution.....hmmm hmmm (the pc have an GF4mx 64mo) my old gf2 mx 32mo was able to do that resolution at 170hz :roll:  When the guy left i tryed to override the 60hz (to 75hz), that worked in windows, but the monitor was still at 60hz???? Do we need Viewsonic driver to make it work ok?

I had a similar problem with my Quadro DCC and Detonator 4x.xx drivers, when I reverted to 30.82 Detonators everything worked fine. You could try it out. Hope this helps.

Maybe that could solve the problem but i can not install new driver on the computer in the store.

Occupant2 wrote:

I agree, ditch samsung, go viewsonic. I had a customer trying to use the samsung monitors in dual view config. and it just wouldnt work. they'd change colours, geomatry would suddenly jump... but only if 2 monitors where plugged in, unplug 1, and everything would be hunky-dorry... So these monitors cant be too well shielded or something... The customer ended tradeing up to the Viewsonic monitors, and they worked perfectly...

Im not going to go dual view, only one is enough for me. Today, i looked in some store and i had the "bad luck" to see a samsung 955df near a Viewsonic 17inch p-serie with a sony trinitron tube and.... doh! The sony tube look lot better but the price is lot higher too and i hate those 2 line that we see in the monitor. In another store i looked at an LG E700B (17inch) and at the samsung 763mb could not find their bigger 19inch brother. The samsung is brighter but i found the color to be better on the LG. So i think i will choose between these two monitor that i think are better than my two first choice, and spend a little bit more money again :x

Any opinion between these two monitor. The Samsung 957mb 385$ and LG E900B 372$, but i can only speculate their quality from what i have seen on their little 17inch brother.

P.S. Im still deceived with the Viewsonic A90F (being able to see the pixel from one meter) is it possible it was only a question of bad ligntning or something like that? I mostly ear good thing about Viewsonic monitor. And they are in the same price range (before rebate) as the LG E900B and Samsung 957MB. Any opinion/comment will be appreiciated.

Oh and *willy* thanks for the link to Dell monitor but 6 month warranty is too short for me.

Maybe your panasonic is trinitron or alike?

At home I have (more or less side by side) Viewsonic PF775, PF790 (very similar trinitron units), Sony 100ES and Samsung 753DF... Dots/pixels are very visible on samsung, cant see them at all on all trinitrons.

753DF is a nice unit for the price (and 955DF is pretty similar, just larger - at least from the specs and demo units i've seen), but I really enjoy sitting in front of viewsonics more. So if you plan to make it a main unit and use 1280 resolution if you can afford try higher-end models, like Samsung IFT, Viewsonic P-series or whatever.

BTW, I'm also very sensitive to flicker and at 80Hz I can definitely see some flicker.

BTW2, my impression is if you need 1280@85Hz better get a monitor that supports 1280@100+, then less likely to have some image problems, ranging from blurriness, convergence problems, etc. This is very subjective and based on monitors I've seen, but oh well

My two cents?

Viewsonic is the pits. I renegged on my first oath never to buy Viewsonic again and I paid for it in time and frustration. I loathe Viewsonic's monitors. That's not to say that I'm not willing to put my convictions on the table every couple of years or so; I'm a reasonable bloke.

Piyono

Piyono, ive just seen that you buyed the Viewsonic P95F+ 5 month ago on another post on the forum.

I just unpacked and set up my new Viewsonic P95F+ only to find a geometric problem I can't correct using the built-in adjustments.  

The upper-right hand edge of the screen "droops" slightly downwards. Sort of like a trapezoidal problem, but on the wrong axis.  

I've been fidgeting for about an hour and I can't iron it out.  

Hey -- my first grey hair!  

What is you experience with this monitor (apart from the gemetric problem), like it, hate it? I have some problem understanding the following post (I speak French).

My two cents?  

Viewsonic is the pits. I renegged on my first oath never to buy Viewsonic again and I paid for it in time and frustration. I loathe Viewsonic's monitors. That's not to say that I'm not willing to put my convictions on the table every couple of years or so; I'm a reasonable bloke.  

Piyono

One more precise question now, Are you able to see the dot/pixel on the Viewsonic, From say 1 meter or the lenght of your arm (mine 70cm), i can t see them on my Panasonic at half this lenght, i start to like my monitor even more now (but he is dying :cry: )

I know i said i don t like monitor with AG because of the 2 lines but if i find no other good monitor without them...

Thanks

-Nishiki:

I hate it.

The dots were the size of golf balls and the geometry was atrocious. Color saturation was nice, but that's about the only thing it's got going for it.

Piyono

-Nishiki:  

I hate it.  

The dots were the size of golf balls and the geometry was atrocious. Color saturation was nice, but that's about the only thing it's got going for it.  

Piyono

I understand by that, that you returned the monitor and tryed to get another one that as no golf ball in it :mrgreen: If it s what you did, wich one do you have now?

Harder than i thinked to buy a new monitor, they are not all as good or better than mine, like i thinked. Especially the 19inch one, where i found annoying problem on most of them (on low and medium priced monitor) In 17inch monitor, i see lot of monitor that look ok for me (LG E700B, Mitsubishi 74sb, Sony, etc....

If i could only find a store that show the LG E900B and the Samsung 957MB. I liked the LG E700B he is not as bright as the Mitsubishi or Sony Tube but not bad for the price. And for the Samsung 763mb i need to see them again to be sure (was brighter that LG but the color???)

Thanks JA it s one of my two choice left, the other is the LG E900B. I can not find a store where i can see them, could not even find a review of the LG. So if i have to buy without seeing i think i will go with the samsung since that make 3 time i ear good thing about this monitor. And also the Samsung is shorter than the LG.

But i wonder why none of the 17inch MB monitor are in the top 10 of the 17inch rating?

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,a...d,104387,00.asp

I cant see dots from about 60cm (I have good vision and can easily see individual "logical" dots at 1024x768, for example)

I should admit my PF775 had (and has) a trouble with geometry in upper left corner, it is a bit downwards and yes I cant correct it :(. At first I was frustrated a lot (after perfect geometry of my older Sony - which got blurry though) - but with time (1.5yrs) I forgot about it - if not looking specially for it hard to noticed and loved the monitor overall - and bought PF790 for anopther system (have virtually no geometry problems).

BTW same story with trinitron lines - first trinitron I had really annoyed me at first - but now I just dont see the lines, literally! guess my brain just filters them out

Not trying to say Viewsonics are perfect - but when picking a monitor dont concentrate on specs only or say geometry or dots - look overall, maybe those big dots are compensated by some fantastic anti-glare or whatever screen treatement, etc.

I cant see dots from about 60cm (I have good vision and can easily see individual "logical" dots at 1024x768, for example).

What you mean by "logical" dots

I should admit my PF775 had (and has) a trouble with geometry in upper left corner, it is a bit downwards and yes I cant correct it :(. At first I was frustrated a lot (after perfect geometry of my older Sony - which got blurry though) - but with time (1.5yrs) I forgot about it - if not looking specially for it hard to noticed and loved the monitor overall - and bought PF790 for anopther system (have virtually no geometry problems).

You are talking about P serie (professional) of Viewsonic. When i looked to an A serie monitor, other than the dot and 80hz refresh rate that i was worrying about, it looked to be ok (color, geometry, brightness). But the dot size is a major problem for me, slight geo problem, i can probly live with it, but the dot....no. I have seen an P serie 17inch Viewsonic, and it looked very good, lot better than the 955df that where at is right. You say your PF790 look great and that you cannot see the dot, i trust you but Piyono say he can see them on is P95F+ and i did nt find one of those monitor on any store to see by myself. And i can t even find the PF790 on any store price list around here.

BTW same story with trinitron lines - first trinitron I had really annoyed me at first - but now I just dont see the lines, literally! guess my brain just filters them out

As for the two line of AG tube, like you say, i will probly get used to those line and stop noticing them after some time. That why i asked opinion to Piyono about is P95F+ since i can get one for 408$ can. Other aperture grill monitor cost too much for what i want to pay.

Not trying to say Viewsonics are perfect - but when picking a monitor dont concentrate on specs only or say geometry or dots - look overall, maybe those big dots are compensated by some fantastic anti-glare or whatever screen treatement, etc.

Im not concentrating on specs only, ex: i looked at the LG E700B and found it to look better than is Flatron brother even if the spec of the Flatron is better, and i have seen both of them in 3 store. 3 times the same opinion ( and i played with setting a lot).

thank for your comment aslon :)

by logical dot I mean a dot drawn by an application, a pixel, whatever - but not a hardware dot of a monitor shadow mask or whatever technology has those dots.

as for P95F+ according to specs it should be a replacement for a bit older (but think still in production) 790... though sometimes formal specs are better and real thing is worse, due to cheaper parts or who knows what :(

Disappointing to learn one more monitor series maybe becoming worse.

Hope not though. Maybe P95F with no plus takes 790's placed in line, wonder how much it costs (specs seem a bit better then 95f+'s, maybe its only a bit more expensive?)

A few more notes from my experience: check other Samsungs, like NF or IFT series. I really disliked all NEC FP I've seen. In older Viewsonic G series I've seen dots were visible - but things may have changed.

good luck searching.

Nishiki:  

I bought a Samsung 957MB to replace the Viewsonic. So far I like it far better.  

Piyono

Thank Piyono, another good point for this monitor, good thing from 4-5 people/review about this monitor now. If i could only find a place too look at it.

by logical dot I mean a dot drawn by an application, a pixel, whatever - but not a hardware dot of a monitor shadow mask or whatever technology has those dots.  

as for P95F+ according to specs it should be a replacement for a bit older (but think still in production) 790... though sometimes formal specs are better and real thing is worse, due to cheaper parts or who knows what :(  

Disappointing to learn one more monitor series maybe becoming worse.  

Hope not though. Maybe P95F with no plus takes 790's placed in line, wonder how much it costs (specs seem a bit better then 95f+'s, maybe its only a bit more expensive?)  

A few more notes from my experience: check other Samsungs, like NF or IFT series. I really disliked all NEC FP I've seen. In older Viewsonic G series I've seen dots were visible - but things may have changed.  

good luck searching.  

Aslon, ive seen good review/comment about the Samsung NF but they cost too much for me. As for Nec, i don t like those i have seen. For now the best monitor in my price range look to be the Samsung 957MB and the 2nd is LG E900B but i have only see the 17inch brother of those monitor. I will probly try my luck with the 957MB. Thank you for your comment/help all, i will probly go buy one this weekend.

As for viewsonic P95F i could not find one, i only found the P90F and it cost more than the P95F+ (111$ more in the store i looked).

Update: Finally found a store that have the Viewsonic P95F+, and found it pretty good (very nice color) especially in the ultrabright mode, and i was not able to see the dot/pixel as it was the case with the A90F. So now if i can find a Samsung 957mb somewhere that will help me make a choice.

And Piyono, maybe you was unlucky and got a defective P95F+ monitor???

I also just found a very very good review of the P95F+, if anybody is interested click below.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1316