Sign in to follow this  
Piyono

Spanning Backup Across Mulitple CDs

I have several large backup jobs that won't fit on once CD. I don't like having to manually choose which files and folders to put on which CD. Rather, I'd like a piece of software that can do split the data up for me.

Nero won't do this, and neither, will ECDC 5.

What will?

Ghost 7.5 enterprise does a direct to CD backup and I've used that succesfully. I believe that the personal edition, Ghost 2003 will do the same. Once the current CD is full, Ghost asks for another one.

Hope this helps,

Free

It's ok... I found software called NTI Backup NOW!. I DL'd the trial and it's pretty much exactly what I had in mind.

Thanks,

Piyono

You could also use WinRAR or similiar, and when packing the data give the unit size of 700 MB. WinRAR will then make files that are 700 MB in size. Ghost is more handier, as it burns directly. AFAIK You cannot use it with dynamic disks though.

Cheers,

Jan

:idea:

Backup Plus from www.avantrix.com does this too. They have other neat wares - so worth your while to pay the site a visit!

.bh.

I've tried LIUtilities WinBackup and STOMP's BackupMyPC.

I like BackupMyPC better. It does on the fly compression, while WinBackup needed to compress to a temp file 1st before burning. WinBackup was also incredibly slow burning to HS CD-RW's on my Lite-On 24102b burner. It was <4x. On BackupMyPC it was much closer to 10x.

BackupMyPC is 2x the price, but well worth it.

I have several large backup jobs that won't fit on once CD. I don't like having to manually choose which files and folders to put on which CD. Rather,  I'd like a piece of software that can do split the data up for me.

Nero won't do this, and neither, will ECDC 5.

What will?

believe it or not, MusicMatch Jukebox has a feature called "Burner Plus", that afaik will create data ISO CDs, and automagically span files to maximize the use of each CD. It's not so much a "backup" program (no compression), as an archiver for making directly-readable CDs. (Yes, it does audio CDs and MP3 CDs too of course.) That feature costs money to use permanently, but you can use it free for like 7 days after installing the trial version.