Sign in to follow this  
Erni

Is it possible to use a 120G harddisk on a ATA-100controller

Hi,

I use ASUS A7V133 with a onboard Promise (PDC20265). Thats is configured as ATA-100, not RAID.

There is no problem to use my 40GB and 80 GB harddisk with this controller.

Will it work fine with a 120GB harddisk too?

Or is there a limit of size for the controller?

THX

sl

Actually, strictly speaking, the limit is actually 128 GB. That's *real* GB... not 1,000,000,000 bytes like some manufacturers like to call a GB. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it so. :)

1 binary Gigabyte=2^30 bytes = 1,073,741,824 bytes

1 decimal Gigabyte=10^9 bytes = 1,000,000,000 bytes

The 120GB drives you are referring to will work fine on an ATA100 controller. Actually, they'll work on an ATA33 and ATA66 controller, too, since those types of controllers also use 28-bit LBA addressing.

2^28 sectors= 137,438,953,472 bytes = limit of 28-bit LBA addressing

Yes, a 120GB drive will work fine. The limit of ATA100 is 137GB.

I thought so too, but I just found a BIOS and driver update at www.promise.com for the Ultra100 TX2. It actualy says "Supports 48-bit LBA for drives larger than 137 GB. Self-extracting .EXE"

Yes, a 120GB drive will work fine. The limit of ATA100 is 137GB.

I thought so too, but I just found a BIOS and driver update at www.promise.com for the Ultra100 TX2. It actualy says "Supports 48-bit LBA for drives larger than 137 GB. Self-extracting .EXE"

Ahh, very interesting information. Looks like many of the newer mobos are now coming out with ATA133 (and therefore 48bit addressing) as well.

Just for the record, ATA133 and 48-bit LBA are not interdependent. 48-bit LBA can be implemented on ATA100 just fine.

However, if someone is going to be putting new silicon out, there is no reason not to support ATA133 as well. It makes sense to support it, since most people look for bullets on a marketing piece to make a buying decision.

Guest russofris
Just for the record, ATA133 and 48-bit LBA are not interdependent. 48-bit LBA can be implemented on ATA100 just fine.

However, if someone is going to be putting new silicon out, there is no reason not to support ATA133 as well. It makes sense to support it, since most people look for bullets on a marketing piece to make a buying decision.

Since a BIOS update allows my old Dell to see drives larger than 32GB, why would it take more than a BIOS update to see >128GB?

Just curious,

Frank Russo

Since a BIOS update allows my old Dell to see drives larger than 32GB, why would it take more than a BIOS update to see >128GB?

Just curious,

Frank Russo

I'm wondering about that myself. Does anyone know the answer?