Sign in to follow this  
Piyono

Password Recovery Freeware?

I seem to have fallen into the habbit of locking myself out of my password-protected files; mainly Word documents and ZIP/RAR archives. My efforts to find free password recover software on the 'net have yeilded nothing. Has anyone got the skinny on some such freeware?

Piyono

I don't know of any of it that is supposed to be free (unless your passwords are short). And, they all use brut-force algorithms, so I hope that you have plenty of processing power and time.

Piyono,

Here are some links you may find useful:

- Security and Encryption Links page

- The @Stake corporate pages have a wealth of freeware tools, as well as their own proprietary toolbox for purchase.

- A cracker for Excel

- A cracker for Zips

I used to have a better links page with lots of freeware, but I seem to have misplaced it - if I find it I will post it later.

Future Shock

Guest russofris
i believe the word you're looking for is 'hack' or 'crack', not recovery.  hit google/google groups for that.

Hack and Crack implies that you do not have ownership of a system or permissions granted to you by the owner of a system. Typing these terms into google generally gives you a number of popup ads and trojan infected downloads (no honor among thieves).

When I worked at GE (back in 96), there were a number of situations that warrented password recovery tools. The majority of the time, it was a lost .pst password. The site was GE's premiere R&D center, so network/computer security was fairly tight. I worked with the higher-ups to establish some guidelines for the PC-Techs to be able to use "hacker" tools to effectively do their jobs. Here's a few from memory.

1: The cracking executables were to exist on a single CD, and nowhere else. Not on your private laptop, not on the network, nowhere else. Each CD was clearly labeled, and kept under lock and key with a signout sheet.

2: You could not DL cracking tools from your PC at work, they must come from your home computer. Hitting hacker sites (even 2600 magazine) could lead to your termination.

3: There was a single computer assignes to cracking pwds. It was a HP Vectra XU (Dual PPro 200), which was about the fastest thing out there in those days. This PC was not connected to the network.

4: The process was to burn the customers file onto CD, Load it onto the Vectra's HDD. Then you would sign out the the appropriate crack CD, place it in the machine, and run the pwd cracker against the customers file.

Pretty tight, especially for the time period.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a little, I simply felt that a distinction was necessary.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

Hack and Crack implies that you do not have ownership of a system or permissions granted to you by the owner of a system.  Typing these terms into google generally gives you a number of popup ads and trojan infected downloads (no honor among thieves).

if you want to split hairs, hacking is learning/exploring/working and cracking is penetrating without permission.

i noted the terms for him to search for, because they are the ones that will get him the best results. i didn't feel a lesson in etymology was necessary.

as far as the trojaned downloads, there is not much he can do but hope for the best (or use some nutjob anti-trojan app, which i've never found to be worth a damn).

Frank's right, Honold, There are legit password recovery utils or services out there, but they're all payware.

I have no programming experience but I can't imagine that it's very hard to write a small, fast, brute-force or word list attack program for common file encryption algorithms.

I just want to know if anyone wrote one for complimentary use.

Thanks for the links, Future Shock, I'll check those out.

Piyono

Frank's right, Honold, There are legit password recovery utils or services out there, but they're all payware.

i believe he was referring to using 'hacker' tools from places like 2600, not payware

i believe he was referring to using 'hacker' tools from places like 2600, not payware

Really?

Well, heck! Sign me up!

:P

I see references to 2600 here and there... What is it? A popular hacking crew or something?

Piyono

I see references to 2600 here and there... What is it? A popular hacking crew or something?

a popular periodical for phreaks/hackers/crackers

it got its name from the 2600hz tone that could be used to get free phone calls from pay phones a long time ago. discovered by cap'n crunch, who got his moniker by stumbling onto a whistle that came in the box of cereal which was a perfect 2600hz.

a popular periodical for phreaks/hackers/crackers

it got its name from the 2600hz tone that could be used to get free phone calls from pay phones a long time ago.  discovered by cap'n crunch, who got his moniker by stumbling onto a whistle that came in the box of cereal which was a perfect 2600hz.

Neat!

Piyono

2:  You could not DL cracking tools from your PC at work, they must come from your home computer.  Hitting hacker sites (even 2600 magazine) could lead to your termination.

Wow, harsh. Considering that 2600 is a web site relatated to a "dead tree" publication dealing with computer security, and not a "hacker site" per-se, then I would assume that browsing to BugTraq would likewise get one terminated? After all, it contains documentation on plenty of "hacker" exploits and whatnot too.

(Me, just being annoyed at the severe prejudices shown by corporations against other non-corporate entitities. If corps. can be considered akin to real persons under law, then shouldn't they also be liable for discrimination suits?)