Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WDLL

Presario 2816ea/HD options

4 posts in this topic

Hi I am glad that I found this site, plenty of info here. :)

To my question.

I bought the Compaq Presario 2816ea last August. A good laptop. Now, I am not very much satisfied with the HD speed of it. From what I know the drive is the Hitachi DK23DA-30something like that. Its capacity is 30GBs. It is supposed to run at UDMA 5. Still, it feels slow. I was thinking of upgrading it to something faster. I was unable to find info as to what my laptop supports (noone had an answer at compaq) so my thought of upgrading to a very fast laptop drive are put into hold. I do hope I could get one 7200? 9.5mm drive if there are any and supported by the laptop. Since I do't know anything about laptop drives though....

So, I also thought about getting an external drive. The computer has USB 2.0 so thats not bad. But, I have no idea if getting one (I have seen several models 7200 USB2 drives) would actualy equal having a faster drive. Speed is very important to me, the main reason is games. Lots of them :)

So, if youhave managed to read my whole post and understood my problems, can you please suggest something/help me?

If there is any more info needed I would happily provide it.

The slowness that you experience is due to the fact that almost all mainstream 2.5" laptop HDDs spins at 4200rpm.

Your Compaq laptop supports any 9.5mm thick 2.5" Laptop HDD, and bascially if you want to improve the speed and responsiveness of the system, go for the "performance" 5400rpm drives. Bascially you have the following options:

* IBM Travelstar 40GNX Series - comes in 20GB and 40GB sizes, a 8MB Cache and spins at 5400rpm

* Toshiba MK****GAX Series - comes in 20GB, 40GB and 60GB sizes, a huge 16MB Cache and spins at 5400rpm (you can read my review of the 40GB version here)

* Hitachi DK23EB Series - comes in 20GB and 40GB sizes, a modest 2MB Cache, spins at 5400rpm but worth every penny in my opinion, look out for my review of this drive soon.

There are other 5400rpm 2.5" drives mostly by IBM but I doubt they will fit in your Compaq as they are 12.5mm thick, like the Travelstar 48GH and 60GH

Your wish for a 7200rpm 9.5mm 2.5" drive might come true real soon, as HGST (i.e. IBM/Hitachi) is working on such a design and could come soon (well, maybe mid/end of the year is not "soon" but soon enough).

As for attaching an external drive to the system, its not going to solve your need for a fast hard drive as your operating system still needs to be loaded onto the internal HDD. You can just run your games and applications off the external drive but it will be real inconvenient to plug and un-plug the drive everytime you lug your laptop around. Plus who wants an extra brick (not to mention a power supply as well) on the go?

Welll, Kakarot, thank you very much for your reply. Its good news to hear about the new disk coming out this year, so I might wait for that. I will wait for your review on that disk though. Are you into reviewing in general? (just curious).

The extra size and weight for an external drive doesn't bother me at all since I rarely move the laptop outside my flat. And when I do its not for games.

Speed (and of course reliability) is the most important thing now for me. With my current HD I noticed problems in some games, like Battlefield1942 and Renegade (no, not the old beat em up game :) ) where I could feel the HD trying to read faster but wan't able to, thus the usual stattering. Plus it takes about a minute to load windows where my old desktop with two ibms ata 100 drives (7200) takes about 15 seconds at worse.

So, my main curiosity about the external drives is if I would put a game there, would I get better performance for that game? Still, of course I would prefer a fast internal drive.

The one other thing that I read yesterday that I wasn't aware of was that according the the HD manual that I downloaded (for my current disk) you are not supposed to use the disk for more than 160 hours a month. WTF? SInce when are such limitations? I was very surprised, especialy since I use the Hd more like 90 hours a week :) at least. I don't remember anything like that in the desktop drives, not even in the old days of ST and Amiga when the machine would stay on for days.

Rise from your grave!

I'm back! 

An update on this.  I did get the very first 7200rpm drive released back in 2003 or something lol.  It was definitely a huge improvement.  Before I did that I used a USB hdd to install and run games from, which proved a huge success at the time.  Speed wise.

I continued to use this laptop till about the end of 2005 when at least for modern games it started showing its age.

I recently found my old laptop (this one), it's in terrible condition (who knew the soft plastic all around the keyboard would dissolve over the years?).  I am in the process of trying to bring it back to life, like this thread.   If I do manage to make it run, I am thinking of replacing the hdd (thus this thread) with hopefully an SSD.  It's going to be an issue as not many 9.5mm pata SSDs exist AFAIK.

This will be fun.