Sign in to follow this  
timwhit

Adaptec 19160 & Windows 2000 Server

I think I really screwed up this time. I am trying to install Windows 2000 Server on a computer with an Adaptec 19160 controller.

I thought this combination would work, but Windows setup won't find the drives and when I supply a driver disk Windows setup still can't find the drives.

Is there any way to get an Adaptec 19160 to work with Win2k Server?

I have a different problem, when installing any version of Windows 2000...

I do press the F6 key and then it reads the files from my Zip (as A:) but when I select the 19160 driver for Win2k appears an error message on the driver.sys file and it wont load...

Damn windows that doesnt come with native drivers... :(

BTW, I`m installing a Win2k with embedded SP3.

Maybe the driver on the disk is corrupted... Are You upgrading an existing system or is it a new setup? Adaptec BIOS finds the drives during boot, right? Check if the Adaptec BIOS has setting for booting from that card, if You have multiple cards (SCSI or IDE controllers). Please note that I don't have any SCSI HW, so I might be way off with these tips...

19160 is M$ only card, so it should work flawlessly with Win2k Server.

Cheers,

Jan

Have the same adapter. When tried to compare disk to self throughput between XP & W2K Ser have the same one problem. I use latest Adaptec driver for WinXP and it was suitable for W2K. Hope this will help.

I think the problem is that the 19160 isn't supported in a Win2k Server envirornment. If you check the Adaptec support pages they don't list the 19160 as being compatible with Win2k Server.

I went ahead and ordered a Adaptec 29160 which is supported by Win2k Server. Hopefully I will have better results with that card. Plus, It was only $9 more.

Adaptec is screwing You up... That 19160 is supported only in M$ OSs, but it seems that Win2k Server is not one of them... That sucks. Seems that You'll have to buy a new card in order to make it work.

Jan

Bull. I have at least 5 Win2000 Servers running off 19160 cards.

It's not difficult - make up the floppy disk with the drivers, hit F6, install as required. Not rocket science in any shape or form.

i had a similar problem using an adaptec 39160 in win2k adv serv, my issue was the card had the diplay to enter the bios at bootup turned off as well as it was set as a not boot device in the adaptec card bios, hence my MB bios didnt offer it as a boot option..once i got into the bios of the adaptec card i set eveything to default & loaded win2k, using the above f6 & a floppy