Sign in to follow this  
ZORAX

DiamondMax Plus 9 x Deskstar 120GXP

Hi guys!

I'm planning to buy a new 80 GB HD for personal desktop usage, and I can get both these drives for the same price:

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 - 2 MB

IBM Deskstar 120 GXP

I don't know which one to choose. For what I could see the benchmarks here all point me to the Maxtor HD, but the model tested was the one with 8 MB buffer.

At the same time I've seen the X-bit labs review of 180GXP, they have compared all drives togheter and the 120GXP seemed to me clearly faster than the new Maxtor with 2 MB.

In your opinion, which one of the two listed above should I buy and why?

If I could get my hands in the same Maxtor 9 but with 8 MB of buffer, should I stay with it instead of 120GXP?

Hi guys!

I'm planning to buy a new 80 GB HD for personal desktop usage, and I can get both these drives for the same price:

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 - 2 MB

IBM Deskstar 120 GXP

I don't know which one to choose. For what I could see the benchmarks here all point me to the Maxtor HD, but the model tested was the one with 8 MB buffer.

At the same time I've seen the X-bit labs review of 180GXP, they have compared all drives togheter and the 120GXP seemed to me clearly faster than the new Maxtor with 2 MB.

In your opinion, which one of the two listed above should I buy and why?

If I could get my hands in the same Maxtor 9 but with 8 MB of buffer, should I stay with it instead of 120GXP?

I'd look at the WD800JB. 8MB Cache,3 years warranty and lots faster overall. If you're gonna transfer or to move a large file,WD is the best and Maxtor is the worse! I've got a few Maxtors including the DM + 9s,they're dog slow compare to WDs when I move or copy files larger than say, a GB or 2 ! WD800JB Only take less than 20 Sec. to move a gig of MP3 or DivX file.

Forgot to answer your quation about IBM 120GXP, I suppose it's also a good drive and seems fast but I'd wait and see what's going to happen with the new owner and new name? I guess you can take your chance and try one!

I still have got 4 more DEAD 60GXP on my desk await RMA and these were RMAed replacement from just 2 months ago :evil: ( I sended 6 DEAD 60GB 60GXP in for a replacement and recieved 5 "Serviceable Used Parts" and 1 new, 4 of them already dead!)

I've got 3 80GB, 2 120GB 120GXP and 2 180GB 180GXP (Actually, 185GB or 172GB After formated!) No problems with neither yet but 1 of the 120GB 120GXP Begin to make some noise,lound clicking noise :roll:

All these drive are only a few months old. On the other hand,I've got No problem with any of the WDs

I'd say go with the 120GXP. It's a very good performer and reasonably priced (don't know how cost compares).

As for reliability, the database here shows the 120GXP in the 66th percentile which, considering that most people prefer to dump on IBM, a very good number. I have a stack of these for my RAID array, and not a single problem.