qasdfdsaq

Seek times / Burst rates with different IDE controllers

15 posts in this topic

Does anyone know which is the best IDE/IDE-RAID controller availible? I've run several different tests with several different controllers and consistently my RAID controller (even without running a RAID array) is scoring better access times and burst rates with the same drives than standard onboard controllers...

From the reviews I've read, it seems 3ware is the best in terms of driver performance (better/smoother performance in concurrent disk access) and Highpoint is the best in raw RAID-0 performance (best read/write throughput). 3ware is also better than Promise in RAID-5 performance.

Tech-report has a pretty good review on IDE RAID controller last month you might want to check out.

Promise RAID controllers (as well as just the IDE controllers) are ATA133, so they'll have higher burst rates than the ATA100 controllers on-board. Haven't heard anything about the better seek times when using RAID controller though.

Cheers,

Jan

Promise RAID controllers (as well as just the IDE controllers) are ATA133, so they'll have higher burst rates than the ATA100 controllers on-board.

This really only makes a difference if you're putting two drives on a channel, which is a great way to suboptimize the array's performance.

Promise RAID controllers (as well as just the IDE controllers) are ATA133, so they'll have higher burst rates than the ATA100 controllers on-board.

This really only makes a difference if you're putting two drives on a channel, which is a great way to suboptimize the array's performance.

I think even with a single drive, when you have a cache hit, the transfer rate should be close to interface speed.

Sechs: I was talking about burst speed (aka cached transfer), just as docinthebox (and also the topic :wink:) mentioned. SATA should have 150MB/s burst, if the drive is native SATA.

Jan

Not even close. I haven't yet seen an single ATA drive that could fill the entire bandwidth of a ATA/66 connection with a burst, let alone sustained.

By the way, if you're using a VIA motherboard with a VIA southbridge and you're looking for good burst speeds, be sure to apply the RAID performance patch:

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=66

Read this article for more details:

http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/817/index.html

Apparently, there's a bug in VIA's PCI implementation such that the max throughput of the PCI bus is far less than the theoretical bandwidth of 132MB/s.

Not even close.  I haven't yet seen an single ATA drive that could fill the entire bandwidth of a ATA/66 connection with a burst, let alone sustained.

What about this thread then? (sorry bit old :wink:) Chefanoz is reporting 73.2MB/s on read burst speed.

Jan

Not even close.  I haven't yet seen an single ATA drive that could fill the entire bandwidth of a ATA/66 connection with a burst, let alone sustained.

What about this thread then? (sorry bit old :wink:) Chefanoz is reporting 73.2MB/s on read burst speed.

Jan

or this one:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/storage/ibm-120gxp/

Scroll down to the graph labelled "Read Burst Speed, KB/sec".

At UDMA/33, the IBM Deskstar 120GXP, Maxtor D740X-6L, WD1000BB, WD800BB and Seagate Barracuda ATA IV have read burst speeds of 86613, 86103, 85706, 85450 and 68817 KB/sec respectively.

At UDMA/33, the IBM Deskstar 120GXP, Maxtor D740X-6L, WD1000BB, WD800BB and Seagate Barracuda ATA IV have read burst speeds of 86613, 86103, 85706, 85450 and 68817 KB/sec respectively.

Sorry I meant UDMA/100.

You can really see ATA33 cap there... ATA100 specs say that one must sustain the 100 MB/s for 3 ms... so the amount of data transferred during the burst is not much (0,3 MB) so it will fit in the cache. Thanks for the link, docinthebox.

Jan

Hmm, actually the time is much less than 3ms. More likely 30 µs... I can't find the correct data to verify. Anyone else?

Jan

Not even close. I haven't yet seen an single ATA drive that could fill the entire bandwidth of a ATA/66 connection with a burst, let alone sustained.

hmm....

image004.gif

my two 180gxp's can sustain 58MB/sec pretty well... i'd say that IS close