cas

Get your dangerous XP Cache Filter here

I have no idea, Claymore. Probably, since it works on your ATA drive. ATA is still ATA, serial or not.

193731[/snapback]

*grin* I should rephrase - it doesn't work, with the IDE or SCSI switch. For it to work on IDE, I had to unistall the old VIA busmaster driver, and install the normal VIA IDE driver. Ah, well...

Aha, got it, and it works on my ATA drive. Can it be made to work on a SATA drive? I have a Gigabyte GA-7VT600 motherboard.

Huh??? Do you mean ATA RAID? The dskcache application is designed for SCSI devices, not ATA or SATA. It should not be working for your ATA drive, unless you are using ATA RAID (since windows recognizes an ATA RAID card/chip as a SCSI device in the device manager).

Stevo and Krusher, I'm glad it worked for you. Linuxrulz, it must be something to do with your RAID settings, b/c the dskcache application worked on EVERY single computer with SCSI or SCSI RAID that I've tried it with.

I'm very surprised that people aren't doing backflips over the release of dskcache.exe from M$......which is a fix to a problem that was giving so many people headaches, and was such a hot topic at one time. If I remember correctly, there were three different threads that exceded 5-6 pages (including this thread, which is 7 pages). I'm 'guessing' that people in this forum must have given up on SCSI b/c of these write issues, and switched to Raptor's. Of course, I can't blame them......since Raptor's were cheaper, and ran neck and neck with 15k SCSI drives (of the last generation) in some benchmarks. Since the new generation of SCSI drives (namely the Maxtor Atlas 15K II and Fujitsu MAU) completely obliterated the Raptor in SR's tests, I would be hard pressed to believe that hardcore enthusiasts (who are willing to spend the money) would choose the Raptor over these new 15K SCSI drives......especially since there is now a fix for the write issues. Hmmmm.......I wonder if Western Digital is working on a new version of the Raptor? :huh:

Hey Eugene and/or Chew, you need to update the FAQ topic related to "What performance problems exist using SCSI drives with Windows? "......since this issue appears to have been addressed by Microsoft.

CC

Aha, got it, and it works on my ATA drive. Can it be made to work on a SATA drive? I have a Gigabyte GA-7VT600 motherboard.

Huh??? Do you mean ATA RAID? The dskcache application is designed for SCSI devices, not ATA or SATA. It should not be working for your ATA drive, unless you are using ATA RAID (since windows recognizes an ATA RAID card/chip as a SCSI device in the device manager).

Not true. In fact there's a switch supported by the tool to specify IDE drives only. View the Microsoft DSKCACHE article for more details.

If you read the article regarding slow performance you'll see there are two commands that are filtered by these tools - flushbuffers and writethrough - of which only the first is implemented in IDE.

Stevo and Krusher, I'm glad it worked for you.  Linuxrulz, it must be something to do with your RAID settings, b/c the dskcache application worked on EVERY single computer with SCSI or SCSI RAID that I've tried it with. 

Hey Eugene and/or Chew, you need to update the FAQ topic related to "What performance problems exist using SCSI drives with Windows? "......since this issue appears to have been addressed by Microsoft. 

Thanks for the prompt. I've been thinking it could use an update. It's now updated appropriately. And I've attempted to address the question of whether this is relevant to IDE RAID controllers, etc.

Chew,

Thanks for the heads-up regarding IDE drives and the dskcache tool. I was previously only aware of how it affects SCSI drives. After fully re-reading the M$ article, I see now what you are talking about.

Please post your findings regarding how the dskcache tool effects IDE RAID......it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

CC

PS - Also, thanks for updating the FAQ section, since the dskcache tool is a very welcomed fix for SCSI users.

Please post your findings regarding how the dskcache tool effects IDE RAID......it would be greatly appreciated.

194137[/snapback]

I thought I did in the FAQ?

Hahhh......silly me......the last sentence of one of your previous posts reads: "And I've attempted to address the question of whether this is relevant to IDE RAID controllers, etc." When I read it, I must have quickly scanned through that sentence, b/c in my head it read something like "And I'm attempting to address the question of whether this is relevant to IDE RAID controllers, etc" (ie....meaning that your going to further investigate how the dskcache tool effects different RAID controllers/chips). A little miscommunication on my part.

CC

Well, its been awhile, but I have some new information/success. Recently I came upon 4 Atlas V U2W drives which I got for $20 total. Since they are faster than the drives currently attached to my adaptec ARO-1130U2 raid card (raid 0 with XP SP2), I decided to revisit this whole issue. I read about the MS dskcache.exe, which was new to me:

http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.ph...=XpScsiProblems

Upon running dskcachexe it reports this for the raid drive:

Error getting Write Cache value.

(1117) The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Thus the power enable tweak would not fix the write issue. This is probably due to the driver for the raid card being old, and made for W2K. Currently my write speeds were below 100k/sec for files under 128K in size, and low for larger files.

The solution that gave the "best" performance in Atto was:

1) stripe size of 64K and cluster size of 64K

2) install the drives only on channel A of the card (there were some reports if IRQ issues with arrays spanning channels)

3) install the XP Cache Filter :D

And the important ones:

4) install the raid card's managment software (adaptec's CIO) and leave resident

5) Enable the card's on board cache (64 meg in this case)

6) set the cards cache's to:

-use max cache blocks (16319 in my case)

-set "Demand Cache" to use ZERO cache blocks

-set "Look Ahead Cache to use ZERO cache blocks

-set "Write Back Cache" to use ZERO cache blocks

-set "Write Through Cache" to use ZERO cache blocks

Now I dont know why this works, and whether the card's onboard cache is even used anymore or if only the drive's cache (4mb) is used only. Atto and "Nbench" both report a massive increase in write speeds with these settings.

Currently max Atto write and read speeds are around 70Mb/s, nearly saturating the U2W bus (80Mb/s max)

I hope this helps someone out there...I'll post Atto screen shots later.

-Chris

Edited by one_kelvin

" 6) set the cards cache's to:

-use max cache blocks (16319 in my case)

-set "Demand Cache" to use ZERO cache blocks

-set "Look Ahead Cache to use ZERO cache blocks

-set "Write Back Cache" to use ZERO cache blocks

-set "Write Through Cache" to use ZERO cache blocks"

I have found the equivalent settings to be best in my lsi1500.

well here are some Atto before and after benchmarks...

typical poor write performance:

writecache64_64.jpg

much imroved performance with the changes mentioned above:

writecache64_64_cio.jpg

I have found the equivalent settings to be best in my lsi1500.

interesting...

so do you think your card's cache is being used even though you are effectively turning it off?

LOL...I totally forgot about this. Thought SP2 would fix it. I checked with ATTO, and it didn't in my case. Thanks to all that contributed to this thread. Ran dskcache +p on my XP SP2 rig with a 39160 HBA/15K.3 Cheetah. Presto. Writes in ATTO went from abysmal to equal to read speeds.

John