Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Poulin

Did Hypermicro's free U160 with purchase of 36z15 drive end?

Did Hypermicro's deal on a free U160 controller with the purchase of an IBM 36z15 SCSI drive end?

I told someone about it and they can't see the offer. Looking on the front page of storagereview, I don't see the link anymore either. Did this deal end? If so, when? Will it ever come back?

I'm sure you are already aware of this, but the 36z15 is a noisy, hot running, and slow drive by today's 15k standards. Only if noise and heat are not important to you should you bother with this drive.

also from what i heard on another post here, they're not actually ibm-supported drives and thus have no warranty

This depends on what you buy. There is a version which is not supported by IBM (the drive will bear no markings or mention of IBM). There is a 1-year warranty OEM version. Finally, there is the standard 5-year warranted version. Price should increase from no to 5-year warranty.

Thanks, but it's not for my desktop. It's a development system that needs a fast drive. Price is an important factor (customer is being cheap because they see how inexpensive IDE is). Heat and noise are irrelevant since it'll live in a climate controlled server room.

They need to do that deal with the 15.3. I'd be there.
HM is probably trying to get rid of their Z15's. They aren't exactly choice picks. :)

for the $$ is the ibm drive so bad? i mean its about $100 less than an x15 give or take. i paid $209 for my x15 and the IBM is $129 now so..i also have an ibm 10k and yes its hot( i have one fo those 5.25 drive bay cooler setups) but i really dont notice the noise. its been going for over a year now and all is well. i just cant see where the ibm 15k is gonna be that bad. if its noticabley slower then i guess it wouldnt be cool but if your not just transfering huge amounts of data non stop im sure it wouldnt be bad. or is all this just wishful thinking on my part? sorry i just dont see where a 15k drive with what sub 5ms seek times is gonna be slow. now i havent sat down with the review of the thing and picked it apart so if im wrong i stand corrected :).

My feeling too. This drive isn't that slow at all. I'd put it a bit above the Atlas 10K III (a fine drive), though less than the 2nd gen X15-36LP. Still faster than anything in IDE for the same money, though. For $129 with U160 controller, how can you go wrong? Without the free controller, the choice is more difficult. Plenty of 18GB 10K drives to choose from in that price range that may perform about as well without the heat and noise and, perhaps, better reliability.

I picked up the drive and controller from Hypermicro. The drive is not near as noisy as people make it out to be. Speed is on par with a 1st gen X15. For the money, its a great deal as the LSI controller is a fine card.

I bought 3 of the 36z15 drives on UBid. They seemed to be a bit slow. I used SCSITool to benchmark them. They all showed an avg. seek time of 7.9 + ms. I called HyperMicro Tech support. The tech admitted that the drives were incredibly sensitive and have had some problems. I tested them every which way, on both a 39160 and a 390U3D, with the same results. Also, the SCSITool benchmark would give me consistent ASPI errors on 2 of the drives. He did say that a true IBM flash of the drives might fix them, but of course, they have no access to that. I got RMA's and they're going to test the replacements before shipping. He said SCSITool was one of the tools that they use in house. The drives have worked flawlessly, which makes this very confusing.

Has anybody checked their drive with SCSITool?

It can be found at http://www.nu2.nu/scsitool/ .

I get exactly as expected when run on X15-36LP and a Fujitsu MAN3184MP. They show avg. seek times of 3.9 and 5.3 with no errors.