Joe_Adams

DVD RW Format Wars - Which one's winning?

Short supply? If here in Finland I saw 50 on the shelf and all major stores have it, I don't see how it can be in short supply in the U.S. My friend in Boston said they have plenty of them there as well.

As for the price premium, it is about 30$= nothing.

this is covered in the top of the thread

Yea, and the average consumer is not the most informed shopper nor do they understand what the quoted statistics mean, which includes you.  The VCDHelp numbers do not show 87% compatability using random media on 870 players as you say.  What the numbers show is that 87% of players will work with at least one brand of media.  You may need to use 12 different brands of media to achieve that 87%, having to figure out which combination of player and media are the compatible one.  If VCDHelp included each brand that didn't work with a player as a failure even if another brand worked (the method the 2 surveys above did), the percentage would be no where near 87%.

As a consumer I want to know what the ideal combination is, and if I know I can get 90% compatability using either of 2 brands, that's the format I am going with, and those are the 2 brands of media I will buy.

it's been my experience that all media tried works. if it didn't, i would simply look at the forums.

Do you enjoy lying or what's your deal?  You're right that searching for DVD-A05 turns up 5 pages of results.  However, you "conveniently" failed to mention that the first 2 and 1/2 pages don't contain a single listing of the drive, just media and other various items.  Then when the drives begin to show up, still interspersed with other products, practically every company has multiple listings, one for retail, one for OEM.  I ran a search for the 2 drives on shopper.com and yahoo shopping, and turned up about 20 legitimate results for the Sony drive on yahoo, and 14 for shopper.com, while yahoo only turned up 5 results for the Pioneer, and shopper.com turned up none (there are 15 listings for DVR-A05).  It should be noted as well that all the local retail outlets here have the Sony drive while Pioneer with its near zero retail presence for computer parts can't be found.

THERE IS A SHORTAGE

Which likely means a whole lot of people are buying them. High demand item hard to find during the Xmas season? Wow, there's a rarity. And as I have said it is widely available locally here and from posters above in other areas as well, and it's only about $10 more than online, so don't feed me the prepackaged buying retail line.

A search on pricewatch for the DRU-500A gives 7 results, total. Only seven stores list it on pricewatch. A search on pricewatch for DVD-A05 gives 5 pages of results with 15 listings per pages.

Do you enjoy lying or what's your deal? You're right that searching for DVD-A05 turns up 5 pages of results. However, you "conveniently" failed to mention that the first 2 and 1/2 pages don't contain a single listing of the drive, just media and other various items. Then when the drives begin to show up, still interspersed with other products, practically every company has multiple listings, one for retail, one for OEM. I ran a search for the 2 drives on shopper.com and yahoo shopping, and turned up about 20 legitimate results for the Sony drive on yahoo, and 14 for shopper.com, while yahoo only turned up 5 results for the Pioneer, and shopper.com turned up none (there are 15 listings for DVR-A05). It should be noted as well that all the local retail outlets here have the Sony drive while Pioneer with its near zero retail presence for computer parts can't be found.

Leaving out details is not lying. Yes I noticed the drives began on the second page, that still left 3 full pages after that, still far more than for the Sony. That so many entires for media also whoedup there, while not one for dvd+ media showed up with the Sony's, further suports the wider availablity of DVD-r drives and media. I stopped short of rubbing that in, but you insisted. Did you not notice when you did your searches how much more the Sony cost than the Pioneer?

A search on pricewatch for the DRU-500A gives 7 results, total. Only seven stores list it on pricewatch. A search on pricewatch for DVD-A05 gives 5 pages of results with 15 listings per pages.

Do you enjoy lying or what's your deal? You're right that searching for DVD-A05 turns up 5 pages of results. However, you "conveniently" failed to mention that the first 2 and 1/2 pages don't contain a single listing of the drive, just media and other various items. Then when the drives begin to show up, still interspersed with other products, practically every company has multiple listings, one for retail, one for OEM. I ran a search for the 2 drives on shopper.com and yahoo shopping, and turned up about 20 legitimate results for the Sony drive on yahoo, and 14 for shopper.com, while yahoo only turned up 5 results for the Pioneer, and shopper.com turned up none (there are 15 listings for DVR-A05). It should be noted as well that all the local retail outlets here have the Sony drive while Pioneer with its near zero retail presence for computer parts can't be found.

Funny you did not notice that 4 of those 21 results(I get 21) on yahoo for the sony were for dvd-r media - Not DVD+R! Even funnier is that almost every listing describes the sony as a dvd-r drive, saying nothing about dvd+!

Shopping.com yields 12 for the pioneer, 10 for the sony. You must have mispelled dvd-a05, using the letter "O" rather than the number "0." I substituted Pioneer DVD-r for dvr-a05 and got a sh*tload of results.

Supstituting "Pioneer DVR-A05," with the quotes, and on yahoo shopping yields 49 results.

That is, substituting "Pioneer DVR-A05," with the quotes, for dvr-a05, on yahoo shopping yields 49 results.

I think it time kinggremlin threw in the towel.

this is just getting silly

dvd-r media is cheaper and more compatible than dvd+r

the dru-500a is experiencing a shortage due to demand. the drive is being overpriced $50-$70 because of demand. if this isn't evidence that the standards war sucks, nothing is

bean counting availability of drives is not adding any value to this conversation (and that's not to say there was any to begin with!)

this is just getting silly

dvd-r media is cheaper and more compatible than dvd+r

the dru-500a is experiencing a shortage due to demand.  the drive is being overpriced $50-$70 because of demand.  if this isn't evidence that the standards war sucks, nothing is

bean counting availability of drives is not adding any value to this conversation (and that's not to say there was any to begin with!)

Oh shut up! lol

Somebody did say something about availability. The point had to be addressed.

But you are right, there really is nothing more to discuss. The truth has already been revealed.

I have no opinion about this debate, but I thought you should see what the largest PC retailer in the UK sells in the way of DVD Recorders.

Here

That's the largest retailer in the UK? What a pitiful selection, three drives altogether. But they do offer both.

Forgot 1 thing. The de facto standard for DVD masters is DVD-R Authoring w/ CMF. That's what the general DVD-R is based on as well, just no way to write CMF and the wavelengh of the laser is 650nm vs 635nm. Pioneer DVR-S201 is _the_ drive of choice if you want to take any of your work to the publisher. Last time I checked there werent any authoring drives based on the DVD+R standard.

I thought the flame war between + and - is a past thing at least for the majority of hardware enthusiasts.

There's Verbatim 4x DVD+R media here though it's only a pre-order item for now. $65 for 10 4x DVD+R. It's about the same for Pioneer 4x DVD-R but 2x and 2.4x write-once DVD media were even more expensive when they first appeared.

http://www.bless.co.jp/cgi-bin/shop/prtShn...DIRECT&ctg=3700

IEEE 1394/USB 2.0 + Sony DRU-500A OEM = 37,800 Yen (Mine.)

Not yet known to be capable of 4x DVD+R writing.

IEEE 1394/USB 2.0 + NEC ND-1100A OEM = 33,500 Yen (a good choice if you can buy high-quality 4x DVD+R media for under 3 USD)

Not yet known to be capable of DVD-R/DVD-RW writing.

Internal Pioneer DVR-A05 OEM = 25,xxx Yen (not at Bless.)

Internal NEC ND-1100A OEM = 23,xxx Yen (not at Bless.)

Currency ratio: 1 USD = 1 Euro = 12 JPN = 1,200 SKW = 40 NTD

Cheapest DVD recordable media prices are about the same in Europe (not all countries), US, Japan, and Taiwan, but still more than two times more expensinve in South Korea. All three of the largest optical storage drive manufacturers, LG, Samsung, and LiteOn are developing DVD+R-only drives.

I log on to these forums to try and get useful info, and NOT to listen to the rantings of opinionated posters (that's you Picard!) who can't be bother to read and or comprehend the posts of others. Give your opinion once and then move on!!!

And while I'M ranting...someone posted an abbreviated yet extensive history of the DVD format evolution because...I'm guessing they like to here themselves type!!! Has nothing to do with the forum topic and certainly was not requested by anyone!

Pretty soon this will degrade into derision of corporate influence in the computer market.

And BTW, did someone here actually say that HP and DELL were NOT technology leaders??? OK, they don't invent new technology, but they disseminate it to the masses. If IBM invents something and DELL and HP don't sell it....well you figure it out!

Just let it go. This thread died back in December, unfortunately it has been dredged up from the morass.

Just let it go. This thread died back in December, unfortunately it has been dredged up from the morass.

Could have been better phrased. You probably meant I was dead in SR forum boards for the last few months. :D

If you're in the market for a DVD recorder you will find out that currently one of the major issues is the 'DVD format war', as many people describe the competition between the DVD+R/DVD+RW (DVD+ or DVD plus) and the DVD-R/DVD-RW (DVD- or DVD minus) formats. Both are DVD recordable formats and developed to store data on a DVD recordable disc that can be played on a DVD(-ROM) player. DVD+/-R stands for DVD recordable and can only be recorded once, DVD+/-RW stands for DVD re-writeable, and this discs can be written and erased, making it possible to record them up to about a thousand times.    

Both DVD plus and DVD minus have their own supporters and both formats are claiming they have their own benefits. In this article we are going to try to distinct the differences between both formats and take a look at them from a consumers perspective. We aim to give you an advice on what kind of recorder you should buy at this moment, a dual format recorder that supports both DVD-R(W) and DVD+R(W) discs, or a recorder that supports only one of the formats (either DVD- or DVD+).  

Before we wrote this article we met several important people from both DVD recordable formats at CEBIT 2003. From the DVD plus format we talked to Ms. Harpe from Philips, from the DVD minus format we talked to Mr. Yoshimura from Pioneer.

I log on to these forums to try and get useful info, and NOT to listen to the rantings of opinionated posters  (that's you Picard!)  who can't be bother to read and or comprehend the posts of others.  Give your opinion once and then move on!!!

LOL!

the real damn shame here is that i'm ready to spend some money on some dvd writing product,but the question is now or later or never.some of you help,some of you should just shut up.this is one hell of a note,people want to spend money on a product and no one vendor can get there act together.at the same time no one poster can get there act together. maybe it's time to call in the marines for a little shock and awe.maybe it's time i shutup and go to bed.goodnight.

the real damn shame here is that i'm ready to spend some money on some dvd writing product,but the question is now or later or never.some of you help,some of you should just shut up.this is one hell of a note,people want to spend money on a product and no one vendor can get there act together.at the same time no one poster can get there act together. maybe it's time to call in the marines for a little shock and awe.maybe it's time i shutup and go to bed.goodnight.

It's YOUR job to find useful information out of the millions of posts on the web. The web's largely full of useless information, isn't it?

It is indeed my job to do just that.It is not however a good idea to post a reply when nearing the bottom of a large bottle of exceptionally good wine,as i did last night.sorry about that.