Sign in to follow this  
Hamburgerpimp

Yet another Seagate SCSI 15K.3 harddrive thread!!

I finally got this Seagate 15K.3 SCSI!! After carefully reading all the performance issues, I installed Win2K with SP1 and SP2. I have no intention of installing Win2K-SP3 or WinXP because of all the performance issued with the OS'.

My ATTO scores have doubled over my Seagate IV 7200 IDE, as I expected. This system flies! Very repsonsive and quick. I notice a huge difference. Also, I can't hear the 15K.3 at all. But, I do have a few case fans drowning out the hardware noise. I would recommend this drive to anyone who is currently upgrading a SCSI drive.

System Specs are:

P4 2.8

ASUS P4PE

512MB PC3200

Adaptec 29160

Plextor 40X SCSI

Toshiba IDE DVDRW

Seagate SCSI 15K.3

Seagate IDE 80G IV

I too have the Asus p4pe and a scsi raid 5 setup...sweeeeeeet! However, though I am running W2K with SP3, I have never noticed any degredation in disc performance between any of the Service Packs. Sounds to me like a bunch of B.S.

Hamburgerpimp: Congrats with your new drive!! I wan't one too :)

however, i wondered if u could answer a question for me.

I see u have the same mobo as i have in my newest puter. I have a problem with my disk getting accessed all the time. At first boot, i went straight to BIOS setup (disk is yet to be partitioned), and noticed that it performed seeks... all the time. After installing WinXP, it still does so. No problems except for this.

Have u experienced the same?

I also have Seagate Cheetah 15k.3 running on Asus P4PE with P4-2.53Ghz and 1GB of DDR RAM. Let me tell you, this setup works!

by the way, I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP1 and absolutely have no issue with performance.

Andrey, write:

I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP1 and absolutely have no issue with performance.

How do you test performance? Can you test time copying for self-to-disk and disk-to-disk with 1Gb DVD.vob file. Please compare results.

Andrey, write:

I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP1 and absolutely have no issue with performance.

How do you test performance? Can you test time copying for self-to-disk and disk-to-disk with 1Gb DVD.vob file. Please compare results.

An explorer file copy is not an accurate way to test this. Nor is using ATTO.

Please read the first post here.

http://forums.storagereview.net/viewtopic.php?t=5734&

Alright, I bit the bullet and did what I should have done a long time ago when cas was willing to devote his time the SR community by programming his copy utility. 

The following tests were run utilizing cascopy.exe in default mode copying a file 674.496,512 bytes in size from drive F: to drive G: partitioned to maximum sizes utilizing NTFS. Figures are an average of three trials which all presented reasonably precise results: 

DM+9 200 GB to DM+9 200 GB, WinXP: 46.8 MB/sec 

DM+9 200 GB to DM+9 200 GB, Win2k: 44.6 MB/sec 

Delta moving to 2k from XP: -4.7% 

X15-36LP 36 GB to X15-36LP 36 GB, WinXP: 45.9 MB/sec 

X15-36LP 36 GB to X15-36LP 36 GB, Win2k: 47.2 MB/sec 

Delta moving to 2k from XP: +2.8% 

These figures were drawn utilizing all standard SR Testbed3 controls. Can anyone imagine a more controlled testing environment? :) 

Serious food for thought for many of this overly long thread's participants.

All this has already been covered.