Sign in to follow this  
hullahop

Western Digital Caviar Mainstream WD1200AB 120GB

Hi.

Anyone have any experience using this disk? its for my server/divx-machine. Will it be fast enough to have two people on my ftp-server+me watching divx at the same time?

tia

Hullahop 8O

I have two of them. They are quiet and work without fuss. I use them for mass storage of video etc.

Hi.

Anyone have any experience using this disk? its for my server/divx-machine. Will it be fast enough to have two people on my ftp-server+me watching divx at the same time?

tia

Hullahop  8O

Yes,the WD1200AB's fast enough and infact it's faster than some 7200RPM Drives. Also it's very quiet and cool running. I'm using 2 of these for my Movies storage. :wink:

Now,I Hope WDC will make 1600AB or 1800AB or 2000AB soon!

Apparently, the 1200AB is becoming hard to find. I haven't found anyone recently that has it in stock. It might be getting discontinued, probably because 5400 rpm drives are not the way to make a good profit. ;)

You're right, Mickey! I want 2 More for my office's machines but the dealer that I bought from is out of stock.

The WD1200AB 5400RPM are about $20.00 to $40.00 less than the 7200RPM version so that may be the reason why they're hard to find. The local dealers Here In Seattle, Washington area selling the 5400RPM version the price as the 7200RPM.

Anyone know where to buy the WD1200AB at a good price, Please post detail. :?:

Regards,

Alex.

How much cheaper than the similar JB version are these new AB drives exactly ?

Anywhere from $40.00 to $50.00 Extra for the WD1200JBs over the WD1200ABs depend on where you buy from.

But, If you compare the WD1200ABs to WD1200BBs that's only $20.00 to $30.00 Dif. Some dealer even less! My local dealer selling both version at the same price right now. That used to be $30.00 more for the BBs model just afew weeks ago. So,the best buy right now is the BBs version if you needs it for storage. About <> $1.00/GB. :wink:

Cool, BB sounds like a good deal. I'll see what the prices are where I live and decide what to get.

I have my mind set on a 60GB/platter WD1200JB or, if I cannot find that exact model, I'll get the Maxtor DM9 with 8MB cache and 160GB as my primary drive.

For the rest of the stuff, sounds like the WD BB or AB might do it.