Sign in to follow this  
internationalnetwork

WD1800JB + A7V333

Hi,

why detect my WesternDigital WD1800JB only 128GB of the 180GB. On my mainboard is the latest biosversion running. I'm using WindowsXP (without ServicePack 1). Is there any patch at the Microsoftpage or what's the problem?

best wishes form munich/germany,

stefan

You need a BIOS revision that support 48-bit LBA addressing. A quick peek at A7V333's BIOS update support page showed zero indication.

Either that or try running WD's DataLifeGuard tool. It may help in some case.

i already have the latest biosversion! at the asuspage is writen, that a support over 128gb is no problem. at booting my system the wd1800jb show me with the 180gb (so i think it must me the operating system, or?). the datalifeguard-tool i tried out, but i don't know what i exactly have to do! i heard that's a microsoft-patch should be solving this problem, is this correct?

Guest russofris

On My A7V333, the onboard Via SB controller only see's 128GB of my maxtor 160. The onboard Promise RAID Lite controller see's the full thing.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

Hi,

why detect my WesternDigital WD1800JB only 128GB of the 180GB. On my mainboard is the latest biosversion running. I'm using WindowsXP (without ServicePack 1). Is there any patch at the Microsoftpage or what's the problem?

best wishes form munich/germany,

stefan

You need to use Ultra ATA-100 Controler (Promise Ultra100Tx2) that come with the package. Install FW for the ATA Card and you'll see abount 167 GB from your 180GB. I'm using 2 WD1800JB and 2 WD2000JB on the ATA Card right now On VIA chipset. (IWILL DVD 266u-RN W/Dual 1.4GHz P-III Tualatin) and it works perfectly! 8)

hi,

i think i've solve my problem. i've used the westerndigital-tool, formated my hdd new and now i can use the whole capazity. buy only with this tool my hdd works good, if i format the hdd in windows, it detect only 128gb.

what's the solution with the promise-controller? i don't understand it.

stefan

Guest russofris
westerndigital-tool, formated my hdd new and now i can use the whole capazity

Please be more clear. Did you install DDO (ez-bios), or adjust the size reporting in the the drives firmware via the utility disk?

My A7V333 is has an onboard Promise controller which natively supports the entire drive. Does yours?

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

XP needs SP1 to function correctly with disks over 128 GB, right? I can't access M$'s Knowledge Base right now (or for the past 5 days, is it working or not?) so I can't check it.

Cheers,

Jan

XP needs SP1 to function correctly with disks over 128 GB, right? I can't access M$'s Knowledge Base right now (or for the past 5 days, is it working or not?) so I can't check it.

Cheers,

Jan

No,you don't need SP1! All 6 of my Machines at home run much better without the SP1. No problems detecting WD1800JBs or WD2000JBs just BIOS update or using Promise Ultra ATA100x2 that came with the retail package. 8)

I'm running 2 WD1800JBs and 2 WD2000JBs using Promise Ultra ATA100x2. Boot from one of the 1800JBs. Though, I've got 167GB after formated from WD1800JBs and 186GB from the WD2000JBs each. 8O

The funny things is that I felt the WD1800JBs are faster than the more expensive WD2000JBs! :twisted: