Sign in to follow this  
zvonas

[b]Seagate CHEETAH X15: ST318451LW versus ST318452LW[/b]

Hello :) ,

I have some questions for SCSI experts:

1) Is there significant performance gain on 452LW drive vs. 451LW?

2) I have bought 2pcs 451LW drives. I want to make them as RAID 0 drive. My controller is Tekram DC-390U3W. I know this host adapter does not support RAID, but want to make them as dynamic drive in Win XP. Does anyone have experience with this?

3) How fast approx. will be disk (this SW RAID, after defragmentation) throughput (in MB/sec) ?

4) How much CPU time (approx.) will this SW RAID take on my PC?

AMD Duron 800, MSI K7TPro2-A, 256 MB RAM, HA and HD mentioned above, 3DFX Voodoo3/3000, NEC 32xSCSI CDROM drive, 3COM 3C-905C-TX-M NIC, onboad via audio.

Thanx a lot for replies / suggestions since there doesn't exist any comprehensive info concerning SCSI here in Czech Republic. :cry:

1) Yes, the 452 has significant advantages over the classic. Performance and temperature-wise. Check SR review page for clearer details.

2) Are you sure you want to do RAID 0? If performance takes precedence over reliability, go ahead or else, use RAID 1. As for your question, yes you can but you can't boot into XP with either one of the drives.

3) Fast is a relative term. Smaller files will not show/little improvement. If you deal with several hundred MBs of a file, it'll show a significant improvement. That's why RAID is more suited towards large file transfer suchs dynamic DB or VidEd.

4) The higher the transfer rate, the higher CPU util will be, if that's your question is about. It will not increase your CPU temp by much if you are concerned with that.