Sign in to follow this  
clunesy

Barracuda V - dogturd performance

ok - I replaced my spanking GXP120 deskstar 120gig with this thing, and YES it is beautifully quiet. The performance though is REALLY terrible. We're talking click on the start button while the system tray is loading, and wait 20 seconds terrible.

Copying files is at least twice as slow as the IBM - cpu usage is up, even ripping a CD goes at about 60% the speed it used to - even when its NOT the seagate I'm ripping to !!!

Surely something has to be wrong here - faulty drive ?

How do I tell whether the acoustic management is on or not ? Will this make a big difference ?

really hope someone can help before I take this drive back to the shop.

Can't face ANOTHER windows reinstall only to discover that a replacement behaves the same !!

kind regards

Niels

Check you've got the correct cable type, and that the master/slave jumper is set correctly on the back.

A guy called Frank on this forum suggested Winbench99 when I was having problems with a drive. If you can download Winbench99 run the disk inspection tests to get a graph of the transfer rate across the whole disk. This should give a fair idea how the drive itself is performing. I'd be interested to see the graph. Here's mine for a very poorly drive (Barracuda IV)

http://www.ad-lib.bravepages.com/transfergraph.htm

Hopefully yours won't look anything like that!

Also, if you suspect the drive may be faulty try running Seagate's Seatools diagnostic software on it.

clunesy,

Glad to know I am not alone here. I am having the exact same problem, and I have been exchanging emails with Seagate's (very useless :roll: ) tech support to no avail. They just keep giving me generic answers like:

check for UDMA Mode 5

use Seatools (automated diagnostic)

defrag and scandisk

stop running in RAID (I'm not, btw)

check jumpers

check ATA cable

What's your motherboard? I am on an ASUS A7M266 (AMD760 Northbridge, VIA 686B Southbridge) and I recall someone else having a Gigabyte motherboard with the same North/south combo, and he said that the drive worked fine when connected to the onboard RAID controller but slowed down to a crawl otherwise. Alas, I have two computers in this house and they are both running ASUS motherboards with VIA 686B southbridges (the other one is running a KT133a Duron 900) and yes, the drive performs like crap on both :x

I'm surprised no one's mentioned verifying in Device Manager that the drive is running in DMA mode (not the same thing as paragon's 'check for UDMA Mode 5' comment, since that's set in the BIOS).

KC

I'm surprised no one's mentioned verifying in Device Manager that the drive is running in DMA mode (not the same thing as paragon's 'check for UDMA Mode 5' comment, since that's set in the BIOS).

KC

I checked for that too. Believe me, I've checked every "generic" solution I know of. I am almost positive the fault is with Seagate (either faulty drive, faulty firmware, or lack of hardware compatibility). Or maybe VIA, because I like to blame stuff on them :lol:

Or maybe as a very remote possibility, is anyone who is having this problem partitioning their HD? I have it split into 12Gb, 24Gb, and 77Gb partitions... I seriously doubt this is the problem, but you never know, since it is a non-standard config. Maybe they just expect you do just use one 113Gb partition.

I'd like to add that I've tested this under W2k Pro SP2, SP3, and WinXP Pro SP1, and the drive is short-bus slow on every single one of them. All partitions are formatted with NTFS, but this drive was supposed to have GOOD NTFS performance, sheez.

This is starting to smell quite fishy......

I have an AMD760 mobo as well - Abit KG7, and I have the drive partitioned in3 - 2gig FAT16, 10gig NTFS, 99gig NTFS.

I changed something, and now the drive performs much better, I think it was the fact that I used the drive as primary master (it was secondary master before). Also - I definitely have some other funny

stuff going on - cos I have at least one damanged pin on my DVD-ROM drive (ouch!!) - but now I have a bunch of new round shielded IDE cables, and some tweezers ,I'm gonna rule all this lot out and see what happens.....

I'll keep you posted.

This is starting to smell quite fishy......

I have an AMD760 mobo as well - Abit KG7, and I have the drive partitioned in3 -    2gig FAT16, 10gig NTFS, 99gig NTFS.

I changed something, and now the drive performs much better, I think it was the fact that I used the drive as primary master (it was secondary master before). Also -  I definitely have some other funny

stuff going on - cos I have at least one damanged pin on my DVD-ROM drive (ouch!!) - but now I have a bunch of new round shielded IDE cables, and some tweezers ,I'm gonna rule all this lot out and see what happens.....

I'll keep you posted.

http://forums.storagereview.net/viewtopic.php?t=6674

Interesting... I did ask one of the techs earlier if they knew of any incompatibilities with that chipset combo, but of course hell would freeze over before any companies that make electronic devices would ever admit to faults with their own engineering :x

I have had the drive on primary master, primary slave on a promise RAID controller, and cable select (primary master). I have to say this performance issue is bull crap. I would say I'm never going to buy another Seagate product again, but I know that's not true because they make the best SCSI drive out there, and they make the quietest IDE drives...

well I've fixed up my bent pin and funny cable probs

I now have the drive set as primary master - my LiteOn 32x burner

as primary slave, and my DVD-ROM as primary slave on a Promise

ATA66 card. Things are running ok....ish. Really not a patch on how it was with the 120 Deskstar, but I can't think what else to try.

This thing just consumes more resources; there's no other description for it. Start button lag, bad window refreshes, sometimes the keyboard takes a while to catch up. The worse thing... and this may be telling - is that the speed at which my CD/DVD drives rips audio is down by HALF ! It doesn't matter which drive, on which bus - and I don't even have to be ripping to the Barracuda V !!!!!!!!!!! - If I rip to external 73Gig Seagate U160 Cheetah on an Adaptec 29160 - STILL rips slow !@#$%^&*( WTF !!!!

well I'll put up with it until my next mobo / drive change in maybe six months. Hopefully the 8meg cache serial ATA150 will work properly !!!!!

and before you say it - YES EVERYTHING IS SET TO UDMA33/66/100 IN BIOS AND OS - YADDA YADDA !!!

I've just had a thought...... I'm gonna try me the VIA IDE 4in1 drivers - never bother with them usually - never had the need. Who knows ?

nothing to lose......

I've just had a thought...... I'm gonna try me the VIA IDE 4in1 drivers - never bother with them usually - never had the need. Who knows ?

nothing to lose......

Tried those too... They actually benchmarked worse, but I couldn't tell any performance difference. Both piss poor slow. Just make sure not to install the AGP driver sice you've got the same northbridge as me, and it's not VIA.

The IDE filter driver is part of the 4in1 - but did you try the miniport ?

I might give that a whirl.

I installed it all except for the AGP. So basically a 3-in-1. Didn't help at all. I asked about the VIA 686b southbridge again, they claimed they know nothing but said they'd pass the information up, and I gave them linkage to this thread.

Could you run HDTACH on that drive?

Then post the screenshot here.

It would give you an idea of the CPU usage, transfer rate, seek time and if the UDMA mode 5 is working correctly.

Could you run HDTACH on that drive?

Then post the screenshot here.

It would give you an idea of the CPU usage, transfer rate, seek time and if the UDMA mode 5 is working correctly.

Sorry, but I have to register HDTach in order to use it on an NT-based OS, and I'm not about to pay $50 for a benchmarking tool.

cuda5.jpg

Okay, don't judge me :P

Also, I have tried PCMark2002, and although it's not really a very good benchmark, it showed up that the write tests (cached file write, uncached file write, file copy) were about 10x slower than the read tests (cached file read, uncached file read). So despite this HDTach being pretty damn bad with all the spikes, had I tried to test writes I bet it would have been a lot worse. And this goes with the fact that when I am trying to extract large zips or rars, it takes about 10x as long as it did with my old 75GXP.

where did you end up getting HDTach (send me a mail - niels75@btopenworld.com) - mine is now residing as Primary Slave, and seems to be performing better - I'd like to try the HDTach app on it though...

Guest russofris

That HD tach graph looks pretty bad. The dips are signs of;

1: An app in the background accessing the disk

2: Remapped/bad sectors

3: Strange locks on the PCI bus.

4: You are using a promise U100 with both channels in use? (use only 1 channel with the build 19 drivers please and retest)

5: Hdtach can be crappy with some HW combo's and give bad results.

I would love to see the Winbench99 Disk Inspection Test graph. It is a heck of a lot easier to read. On a side note, I heard that those AMD760/Via686b combo boards are the balls.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

sorry - 'the balls' - is that bad or good? In London, UK I'd have to say

that means good (closest expressions 'the nuts' or 'the dogs bollocks') -

please clarify ;)

thanks

PS When I have my 120 IBM as the boot drive, and the barracuda as a slave files drive - all seems fine. As I said with the barracuda as boot in primary slave I think I can put up with things in the short term

OK I'm running a striped array w/ 2*80gig Barracuda Vs (380023A) on a Promise Fasttrack 100 (16kb stripe size). Both drives were firmware 3.30 when I made the tests. VIA RAID patch installed, all drivers up to date etc.

These are my results:

wb99_old_fw.jpg

hdtach_old_fw.jpg

atto_old_fw.jpg

Not really astonishing I'd say... :?

OK - what is the next quietest drive after a seagate barracuda that actually works with anything that isn't Intel ?????

Do the IVs have this problem ?

jeez....