Sign in to follow this  
clunesy

Barracuda V - dogturd performance

Well, I used to have two Barracuda IVs (raid-optimized versions), and you couldn't hear them even when performing let's say a defrag or something comparable. So that's why I was really surprised when reading that the V was supposed to be even quieter than the IV in SR's review. All I can say is that the V is definitely noisier, at least from what I hear with my own ears:) However it should be kept in mind that the Barracuda still remains one of the most silent drives compared with other 7200 drives out there.

As for the RAID performance, I updated to firmware 3.33 yesterday. Benchmarks didn't show any significant improvement over the old firmware, although I was not yet able to rebuild the array, install windows etc.

That HD tach graph looks pretty bad.  The dips are signs of;

1: An app in the background accessing the disk

2: Remapped/bad sectors

3: Strange locks on the PCI bus.

4: You are using a promise U100 with both channels in use? (use only 1 channel with the build 19 drivers please and retest)

5: Hdtach can be crappy with some HW combo's and give bad results.

I would love to see the Winbench99 Disk Inspection Test graph.  It is a heck of a lot easier to read.  On a side note, I heard that those AMD760/Via686b combo boards are the balls.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

1) Not really. Unless you mean "Windows" :D

2) I did a chkdsk right after I got the drive..

3) What do you mean? I've never touched my PCI settings since I got my motherboard.

4) My other computer is using a promise U100, this computer is not. Just plain old garbage VIA IDE controller.

5) Maybe, but the disk still sucks :cry:

And yes, I hate my motherboard. I had this whole deal with the nv4_disp/IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSODs for the longest time. Worst purchase ever.

Paragon - I'd like your advice and maybe some others too ?

The problem : I need a basic machine for general use - most importantly ripping mp3s with EAC and coding with Lame 392. It has to be SILENT - to appease 'her indoors' - as its kept on serving / downloadin 24/7.

My Abit KG7 (AMD760) was running fine with IBM Deskstar 120, and now runs badly with Barracuda V. Worst thing is, it keeps looking like its running ok (the read performance is ok, booting up, launching apps is now fine). But as various tests in this thread show, there is a MAJOR write performance issue with this motherboard, Paragon's A7M266, and it may or may not be that the 760 chipset is at fault. Its taking me nearly 3 times longer to rips CDs now :(

What is the easiest, most cost effective way to fix this ? I don't think there are any other drives out there nearly as quiet, so should I change my mobo? I've had my eye on a the Asus ViaKT400 board, with LAN, Dig. Audio, Fire, USB2, etc, as this cuts down on all my cards. Is this going to work any better ? Is anyone out there getting great use with the Barracuda V and KT266/333/400 chipset boards ?

Or.... I also have a Promise ATA66 card, which I just use for optical drives, maybe I should try booting the cuda off that instead ? That would require no money being thrown at the problem, should be easy to try - is it likely to work ? What do we think is the problem here ?

hope SOMEONE can help :(

regards

clunes

Paragon - I'd like your advice and maybe some others too ?

The problem :  I need a basic machine for general use - most importantly ripping mp3s with EAC and coding with Lame 392.  It has to be SILENT - to appease 'her indoors' - as its kept on serving / downloadin 24/7.

My Abit KG7 (AMD760) was running fine with IBM Deskstar 120, and now runs badly with Barracuda V.  Worst thing is, it keeps looking like its running ok (the read performance is ok, booting up, launching apps is now fine). But as various tests in this thread show, there is a MAJOR write performance issue with this motherboard, Paragon's A7M266, and it may or may not be that the 760 chipset is at fault. Its taking me nearly 3 times longer to rips CDs now  :(

What is the easiest, most cost effective way to fix this ? I don't think there are any other drives out there nearly as quiet, so should I change my mobo? I've had my eye on a the Asus ViaKT400 board, with LAN, Dig. Audio, Fire, USB2, etc, as this cuts down on all my cards. Is this going to work any better ?  Is anyone out there getting great use with the Barracuda V and KT266/333/400 chipset boards ?

Or.... I also have a Promise ATA66 card, which I just use for optical drives, maybe I should try booting the cuda off that instead ? That would require no money being thrown at the problem, should be easy to try - is it likely to work ?  What do we think is the problem here ?

hope SOMEONE can help :(

regards

clunes

I tried it on a KT133a, same problem. So it's not AMD760. It could be a bad batch of drives, but I suspect it's actually the 686B IDE controller. After all, the vast majority of motherboard manufacturers outright refused to use the AMD766 Southbridge, which was designed for use with the AMD760 Northbridge for the last line of Thunderbirds, and they all went for the VIA 686B Southbridge, along with VIA's piss poor IDE controller (many stories of data corruption on that bus). Try the Promise card and tell me how it goes, if it runs well on that then my suspicions will be confirmed...

If that works, then I will probably have to run out and buy an nForce2 motherboard.

ok - are you ready ??

If I connect CD drive and Barracuda as Primary / Secondary master on the promise - all is fine when ripping CDs - copying audio

If I connect a CD drive to the 686 IDE and copy to the drive while it is connected still to the Promise - the problems start, although I don't understand why its a problem T

The only solution I have is to have all my IDE devices on the promise, and leave the onboard IDE completely unused !!!!!

If you can call that a 'solution' ...... ! I'll put up with for a little while.

If you were me......

take back the Barracuda and get come quiet 180GXPs ?

grab a new KT400 mobo with VT8235 southbridge (or KT266/333 with VT8233/A/C) ?

ok - are you ready ??

If I connect CD drive and Barracuda as Primary / Secondary master on the promise - all is fine when ripping CDs - copying audio

If I connect a CD drive to the 686 IDE and copy to the drive while it is connected still to the Promise - the problems start, although I don't understand why its a problem T

The only solution I have is to have all my IDE devices on the promise, and leave the onboard IDE completely unused !!!!!

If you can call that a 'solution' ...... ! I'll put up with for a little while.

If you were me......  

take back the Barracuda and get come quiet 180GXPs ?

grab a new KT400 mobo with VT8235 southbridge (or KT266/333 with VT8233/A/C) ?

You said you wanted quiet for 24/7 HD work, so I suggest you get a new motherboard. I can't hear the Barracuda from 1 foot seeking in my case, but with any other drive I can at least *hear* it (although it's not that bothersome at more than a few feet and disappears soon afterwards).

Me, I'm gonna find someone with an Intel or a non-686B system and test it on that. If all is good, I'll go out and buy an A7N8X or something.

I went at it the other way - the Barracuda is in its box, ready to go back to the store - and I now have two spanking IBM 180GXPs in my machine, and they scream (in silence, hehehe) - very fast - and really not noticeably any louder than the Barracuda. nice. Now I can finally get back to business.

thanks for all your help, all.

Clunes