Davin

IBM Deskstar 180GXP

Hi! I am just new to this forum and would like to ask if the hitachi deskstar 180gxp would be compatible with my mother board EPOX 8kha+ since as per stated in the review :

"Remember that you must have a motherboard or an ATA controller that supports 48-bit LBA addressing to utilize the full capacity of drives greater than 137 GB in size."

and I am not sure whether my board would support such. Hope you can give feedback on this.

I am open to suggestion with other hardisk out there since IBM has a reliability issue. Any recommendations?

thanks

I just wanted to add that I bought 4 IBM 180GXP 120GB/8MB drives a month ago.

The drives were installed in a new system on a Promise SX4000 controller.

I benched and tested them all and ran HDTach on them all a few times over the first week. All drives were fine and yielded fairly decent scores (as expected). 3 Drives yielded very similar scores (within 0.5%), one drive slightly lower score (1.5% lower).

10 days later that slower drive started to click a lot more and make the whining cranking click that the GXP45/75/60 drives sometimes used to do. 2 days ago that drive failed (thank god for RAID5). The S.M.A.R.T. on the SX4000 reported a possible drive failure about 30 minutes before the drive actually, permanently, failed with one really damn loud crank-crank-click noise.

The controller deactivated that drive, I ordered a new one and now drives 1 and 3 are beginning to make funny noises and display more erratic transfer graphs in HDTach.

The drives are actively air-cooled and the casing temperatures are constantly between 24C and 30C. Humidity hovers around 30% to 55%, depending on the day.

My drives are bought through the UN in Vienna, Austria and manufactured in Thailand. All drives are made in Jul-2003, Thailand.

Personally, I find this a disappointment because the performance of those drives is good and the noise-level is great and the price is right. The only thing making me refrain from saying bad things about IBM is that all drives are bought through the same vendor and I have no way of knowing how those drives were treated in transit.

I just wanted to add that I bought 4 IBM 180GXP 120GB/8MB drives a month ago.

The drives were installed in a new system on a Promise SX4000 controller.

I benched and tested them all and ran HDTach on them all a few times over the first week. All drives were fine and yielded fairly decent scores (as expected). 3 Drives yielded very similar scores (within 0.5%), one drive slightly lower score (1.5% lower).

Sounds like they were damaged in transit. Have You tried IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Tool?

Cheers,

Jan

I'll have to make a Boot-CD before I can do that, but that might be an idea.

Not sure how this will work on a RAID5 array with one disk missing, but lets see what happens - the array is backed up anyhow.

I am discovering (along with the rest of the internet) that this drive does have a little "personality quirk" though - it makes a strange noise every 10 minutes.

It sounds like a miniature sawmill or a trapped wasp, lasts .5 to 1.5 seconds and happens every ten minutes, on the dot. I'm expecing the next one in four minutes time :-)

Reports say it's the drive moving the heads around to avoid heat buildup, but it's still pretty strange...

Even though I consider it a significant design flaw, I'm happy to read that I'm not the only one with the sick cat sound coming from my second hard drive (120 GB Deskstar) every 10 minutes. Dell seems clueless about it. They replaced the hard drive once, even sent a technician out to install it. When that didn't solve the problem, I requested a tower exchange, and got it. Now the D: drive in the new computer is once again making the sound. You mention that "Reports say it's the drive moving the heads around to avoid heat buildup". Any chance someone can send me a link to that report (tkuyper@hotmail.com). Thanks.

Okay, time to add my bit.

I have had an Deskstar 180GXP 120GB running in my Linux server since May 2003. This PC is running more or less 24/7, easily been running a whole year total on that drive with no problems whatsoever (maybe I shouldnt tempt fate like this).

Anyway, I also bought another one for my X-Box and BOTH Drives do the 10 minute twitter thing which worried me a little at first but I wouldnt say it sounds like a drive dying. I have had various drives over the years and some do have little self maintainance cycles they go through which is nothing more than that, nothing to worry about.

If you CAN hear a drive failing you should really be able to tell. I was a little concerned with my WD drive recently as it starting making a higher pitched idle noise, seems to have stopped now but id say those are the sort of things to lookout for when you are concerned something is failing. Even then though, it can be just environmental, a temporary glitch that wont necessarily cause a drive failure.

This is a bit of an old topic so I don't know if any of the old posters are still around. But maybe there are others around.

I am posting regarding the "10 Minute Cat/Door Hinge" noise that I have been getting since I received my system back in October 2003. The noise started from almost day one and I've been putting up with it ever since. I tried tech support about this problem and received no assistance. The noise is so predictable that I had to assume that it wasn't a problem with the drive but rather a 'feature'. Every 10 minutes (and one second) the drive feels it must do something. I still frequently backed up my data just in case.

But what I didn't realise is that I have a 180GXP....the invoice I received seemed to state that I have a WD. So for the last 2 and a half years I've been searching for info on the wrong drive. Just by coincidence I took off the front cover last night and through the vent I could clearly see DESKSTAR. Searching the 180GXP on google has provided a whole host of information. And I am glad to see I am not the only one with this noise. Quite a number in fact

I've been reading about this drive's 'feature' and email responses people receive from the manufacturer and wondering if there is anymore info that someone can provide. Something about head calibration or idle time function....something drive's do but in this case quite loudly. IS this really the cause of the problem? Is there now a fix to stop the noise? Any other info?

This is actually one of the best drives I've ever used. Reasonably quiet and quite fast. If I could just get that frigging cat out of there........ <_<

Thanks for any assistance someone can provide.

Quick, lazy answer -

It's a sort of head recalibration thing, it's programmed into the firmware to avoid a particular problem, but new firmware is available (not widely available, though) that makes the process much less obtrusive.

The lazy part is where I suggest that you search the forums for Hitachi miaow firmware (or variations thereof)... if you're lucky, someone will have linked it, or at least listed the filename so you can google for it.

Of course, you can also try Hitachi tech support directly, but not everyone who tried that received the new firmware, it depends who you end up talking to.

Edit - forgive me for not rereading this thread, but the details may even be in an earlier post to this very topic.

Edited by Spod