Davin

IBM Deskstar 180GXP

The Hitachi storage site is up (looks suspiciously like the IBM Storage one), but the warranty info won't be live until noon PST (3:00 for those on the right-hand coast).

yes, they've just changed the name.

and it wasn't up till 3.15pm (EST) and that's only the front page - the warranty status check wasn't working for a while ... but it just started to work for the first time then - 4.25pm

Update:

A few days ago, ie about a month after receiving my 2 x 120GXP replacements ... surprise, surprise ... one of them failed. Hitachi/IBM's DFT test reported "Defective components" - that's 3 out of 4 120GXP's that have failed when RAIDed. This second batch was made in China, Nov '02 - they were of the "recycled warranty replacement" variety.

I refused to accept another 120GXP as a replacement (and would have preferred to change brands altogether) but since they could only replace with the same brand under warranty, they gave me 2 new 60GB 180GXP's for a small upgrade cost.

The 180GXP's have only been in for 24 hours ... but they already seem smoother for some reason, but not faster on benchmarks. I hope this will be the last need for a changeover.

Final comment: IBM drives seem OK for single drive systems under normal use. But when they're RAIDed and used often, ie. daily defragging, transfers & backups etc. they don't seem to cut it.

(PS. Since the first HD failure, I now backup 4 times a day!)

Follow up on the 180GXP changeover:

Since the changeover (read above), I have experienced no problems with the 180GXP's thus far. They do seem more reliable. Also, my Sandra FSB score has jumped to 57,398 - impressive, even if synthetic.

I've had this IBM 180G for 2 weeks now. As soon as I got it up and running my AVER07 40G started spewing bad sectors.

Lucky I got it when I did. Even though I lost 500M of files.

I very nearly got the WD180, but decided on IBM due to cost and the favourable review on SR. Oh yeah, not to mention the extra 2Yrs warranty over 120Gs

My 180G IBM is my favourite drive now, even though it is outnumbered 4:1 by Cuda ATA 4s

Mine is Made in Thailand, where are yours made? and cost just under $260

I still can't find anywhere selling the 120 gig drives with an 8mb cache in the UK - anyone know if these are actually available yet?

Right.

Available for preorder from dabs (quicklinx 27TJWS, £125 inc) , but *in stock* at scan.co.uk for £109 inc VAT! Huzzah!

Hmmm.

Happy with my new drive - it's very quiet compared to my old 60GXP, and pretty quick, too.

I am discovering (along with the rest of the internet) that this drive does have a little "personality quirk" though - it makes a strange noise every 10 minutes.

It sounds like a miniature sawmill or a trapped wasp, lasts .5 to 1.5 seconds and happens every ten minutes, on the dot. I'm expecing the next one in four minutes time :-)

Reports say it's the drive moving the heads around to avoid heat buildup, but it's still pretty strange...

Hmmm.

Happy with my new drive - it's very quiet compared to my old 60GXP, and pretty quick, too.

I am discovering (along with the rest of the internet) that this drive does have a little "personality quirk" though - it makes a strange noise every 10 minutes.

It sounds like a miniature sawmill or a trapped wasp, lasts .5 to 1.5 seconds and happens every ten minutes, on the dot. I'm expecing the next one in four minutes time :-)

Reports say it's the drive moving the heads around to avoid heat buildup, but it's still pretty strange...

Hi,

I have same problem with exactly same strange noise very sometimes. I am very worry about it, I don't know it means My 180GXP close to failure or has a poor quality as well. My rest hard disks never have this kind of noise, but only this one. I used IBM hard disk tools software DFT to test this hard disk, the result is complete OK.

Anyway, IBM 180GXP is very fast and fairly silence.

:cry: :x

Hmmm.

Hi All,

I've been to the shop where I bought my deskstar 180GXP 120Gb one and a half month ago because of the same sound that sarabob is mentioning. Occurs every 10 minutes and is very annoying!!!

At the shop they swapped the defective hdd for a new one (same type).

They seemed to know or have measured that the hdd was effective indeed! I was very glad I got a new one, but as soon I installed the new one it appeared to make the same irritating noise! I am convinced that this sound should not occur, at least it sounds very unhealthy! Let's compare our hdd's:

My first defective hdd:

Batch december 2002, P/N 07N9214, S/N G4C21X4G, model IC35L120AVV207-0

my 2nd defective hdd:

Batch december 2002, P/N 07N9214, S/N G4G9GL8G,model IC35L120AVV207-0

Well on the subject of the noise every 10 minutes, can anyone say that the noise does not happen to their 180GXP or whether , if it is apparent on every drive, if the noise is inherent and necessary or a fault ?

Just installed my new 180 GB drive. It's indeed very quiet, but... it doesn't work at all! :evil: When trying to access the drive, it blocks and begins to produce very unhealthy sounds, which terminate only after turning off the PC.

Of course, my personal experience is not representative, but it seems to me, that rumors about poor IBM quality are not just rumors. Of 4 IBM drives that I owned, 3 had crashed. The first one was a DCAS (could be "repared" by low level format), the socond was a DTLA (countinuously growing bad sectors), and now this one. :evil: I'm going to exchange it on monday, let's see how another drive will perform.

Hi, this is my first post on the board. I'm hearing this awful noise, too, on my new Hitachi 180GXP 120Gb, which is operating in a Firewire enclosure attached to my iBook.

Couple of questions:

Anybody with a PC tried to change the acoustic settings using the IBM/Hitachi feature tool? This tool isn't available for the Mac, but I might try running it through emulation in Virtual PC if changing the drive settings actually has any effect.

Anyone recommend RMA'ing the drive? Personally, I bought it in part because the Storage Review said noise was reasonable. Well, the typical seek noise is OK, but this clockwork squeal every 10 minutes is terrible.

Thanks for any advice.

I just got the replacement drive and it doesn't have the problems I described before. It's very fast and very quiet! The idle noise is MUCH lower than that of my "old" WD1200BB. I don't hear it at all, when the case is closed.

Drive was RMA'd after hearing the last blood curdling Deskstar squeal that I'll ever pay to hear again.

Goodbye, Hitachi. Hello, Seagate. :-)

hello all...

i have a configuration really near to the one of campenhagen (sorry for the spelling), that is papst + zalman slk7000 alcu (with fan speed reduced), and i am bothered by the idle noise of my 120Gxp. I have found a guy to buy my 120Gxp, so i am looking forward a disk without this idle noise.

180Gxp? cuda 5? seagate 7200.7?

i don t care about seek noise since my HD is not fixed in my case, rather put on absorbating stuff.

According to what i read, the 7200.7 is not good.

I am not sure about cuda 5 because of the performance.

If the review is true, can i buy a 180gxp whose idle noise is not distinguishable? What do you, buyers, think?

Compenhagh for exemple?

Ok, i read the problem about ad noise each 10 min, but it seems to be on some bad disk only, so with luck, there is no problem....

won t i be deceive if i buy it?

bgx

Thinking about getting a 180GB 180GXP, I'm under the impression that AAM is disabled by default, is that correct?

- QoS

Thinking about getting a 180GB 180GXP, I'm under the impression that AAM is disabled by default, is that correct?

- QoS

yes.

You can use the Feature Tool to enable it if you like. It does make it much quieter, but seeks go to about 18-19ms vs 12 when AAM is disabled.

And you'll need a PC to use the featuretool, as noted by a previous poster :)

Where can I find 180gxp, I've tryed price whatch, googlegear, newegg, sweetwater. The 8mb version is nowhere to be found. I'm after the 30 or 60 gb version with the 8mb cache.

Just got my 180GXP, it's really silent! :)

One thing that really annoys me is the very low but audible high pitch noise/whening, it's like the high pitch noise that you get on your TV, it's not that annoying, but if you know it's there it really annoys you! :(

- QoS

Got 2 180GXP at friday, since then I had never turn them off, it is very slient, I just can hear it when it seeking, at first, I though they are dead until I put my ear very close to them.

Since installed, I continuous runing the "media scan" provide by the 3ware controller, for 8hrs daily, and still haven't a problem.

I also found out these drive seems indeed need some cooling, although the hdd temp measure in open area is just 40C, when it installed in the drive cage, it does rise over 50C even they are in front of the case's income air path . May be it had something to do with heat and dead harddisk?

They are made in Thailand, Jan03.

I'm after the 30 or 60 gb version with the 8mb cache.

IBM/Hitachi aren't producing many drives under 180 GB with the 8 MB cache - mostly, the 180 GB version has 8 MB cache, and the 120 GB and smaller versions have 2 MB cache. You might find a 120 GB with 8 MB cache, but you'd be lucky. If you want a small(er) drive with 8 MB cache, the WD600JB/WD400JB (60/40 GB) are more available.

Spod