Davin

IBM Deskstar 180GXP

I do not understand the constant bagging on IBM for the problems with the 75GXPs, as well as for the far less common (possibly normal rates with extraordinary scrutiny b/c of the 75GXPs...) problems with the 60GXPs.

I guess I should apologize for starting the bashing in this discussion. I meant for it to be more "tongue in cheek" than it apparently seemed. (Gosh guys, lighten up a little - don't take this so seriously!) :wink: I certainly wouldn't expect a 50% failure rate with the 180GXP. I did have horrible experience with the 75GXP - half of the eight drives I bought failed either immediately or very soon afterward. Then I had two of five 60GXP drives fail. But without a doubt, IBM seems to have cleaned up their act since.

Perhaps the bashing wouldn't continue as much if they had owned up to the problem and worked a little better PR to soothe their angry customers...

I sure do hope the new 180GXP will do better on quality. My last 2 60gxp 40GB RAID 0 that I was using my my Toy machine, Then used each of them as boot drive for my other machines! The sad thing is,Once again one of them just DEAD with no warning! Just got RMA number from IBM supports. :evil:

My 60GB 60GXP RMA sended to IBM 2 Weeks ago just arrived this Morning! To my surprised, IBM sended me a new 120GXP (..VVA07-0) as a replacement. the first new replacement after 16 total DAED IBM RMAs. :twisted:

Should I BUY ANOTHER IBM? the new 180GXP? As good score as it is, I really don't Know if I should. :evil: I'll have to wait and see for afew months or even a year if this new 180GXPs will live up to standard. I'd love to buy more IBMs But something else for now!

I found that, No Problems with Neither Western Digital Nor Maxtor. "0" RMA for all 36 Western Digitals AB,BB and JBs. No problems with 2 Maxtor D740X 80GB or 4 120GB MD+9 (Yet!)! 8)

I hope I'll not have to do anymore RMAs to any brands for along time after this DEAD 60GXP. Time + DATA Loss = $$$$$

Nnnggg! No Edit option! :idea:

I should say, My other IBM, Dead 60GB 60GXP that I sended in for a replacement 2 weeks ago just arrived from IBM. Now I'll have to send this 40GB 60GXP to IBM Tomorrow :evil:

russofris: no, I think it has been pointed out in another thread that Promise support command queuing and Highpoint seems to have a driver, but it does not seem to be available for download at the moment.

Command queuing is a software feature; it uses different ATA commands and requires a more advanced driver structure, but it can be used with any controller hardware, it just needs driver support.

That is a redeeming thing of IBM, the first time my 75GXP failed it was repaired, the next time I sent it in (not unexpected) I got a 60GXP, then after another 60GXP started making noises but didn't fail I got a 120GXP in return. Hopefully that will fail and I'll get a 180GXP :lol:

I would buy another one, but if it's IBM and I'm paying $160 for a drive I expect a 3 yr warranty, otherwise if it does fail that's money down the drain.

I do not understand the constant bagging on IBM for the problems with the 75GXPs, as well as for the far less common (possibly normal rates with extraordinary scrutiny b/c of the 75GXPs...) problems with the 60GXPs.

There have been no such problems with the 120GXP's, and the 60GXP claims seem to be residual publicity from the 75GXP fiasco, IMHO.

I can only go by my own experience. I purchased 2 x 120GXP's and RAIDed them. From the outset, one was making a strange noise. Within 48 hours, it failed. IBM's DFT diagnostic test revealed "Defective Device - excessive shock". After reinstalling WinXP Pro etc on the remaining single drive, that failed as well - 5 days later. IBM's DFT diagnostic test revealed "Defective Device - component failure". Both have been RMA'd.

... moral of the story ... don't be so quick to dismiss valid observations as "bagging". I don't know the overall failure rate of the 120GXP series - I just know that I bought two and they both failed for 2 different reasons (2 different "TRC codes"). I think if people confine their comments to actual experiences or facts, we'll all be better informed.

Cheers

PS. I'm surprised that IBM has responded to the scrutiny by reducing the Warranty period on their 2MB cache drives - it's kind of like accepting that the problem is beyond them. One would have thought that the better response would have been to strengthen (& lengthen) the warranty to allay consumers' concerns.

Maverick wrote:

I can only go by my own experience. I purchased 2 x 120GXP's and RAIDed them. From the outset, one was making a strange noise. Within 48 hours, it failed. IBM's DFT diagnostic test revealed "Defective Device - excessive shock". After reinstalling WinXP Pro etc on the remaining single drive, that failed as well - 5 days later. IBM's DFT diagnostic test revealed "Defective Device - component failure". Both have been RMA'd.

For our better information... Do you remember where were your drives manufactured?. Thank you.[/b]

PS. I'm surprised that IBM has responded to the scrutiny by reducing the Warranty period on their 2MB cache drives - it's kind of like accepting that the problem is beyond them.  One would have thought that the better response would have been to strengthen (& lengthen) the warranty to allay consumers' concerns.

Actually, that's Hitachi talking. Since Hitachi will control the new combined hard disk business, IBM needed to harmonize their warranty policies with Hitachi's.

The change in warranty is the way that the industry is going, so we really shouldn't be surprised that IBM adopted it, anyway.

A question for you, Copenhagen. You wrote:

===============

The reason for this is that the rest of my system is rather quiet (around 17 dBA adding the noise produced by all moving parts excluding any form of drives). I only have 3 fans in my PC and all are of the very silent type: 1x80mm Power Fluid fan with fluid bearings (21CFM/9dBa) used as case fan and 2x80mm Pabst 8412NGL fans (19.4CFM/12dBa), one located in my power-supply and the other mounted on top of my ThermalRight SLK800 CPU heatsink.

================

Where can I find this "Power Fluid" fan that you mention? 21CFM @ 9dB is totally impressive! 8O

I've been experimenting with this drive on a Pacific Digital controller that supports ADMA (hardware tagged queuing) I find that with lots of concurrent I/O the drive performs very nicely. I can get about twice the IOps that I can without tagged queuing. But with only 1 I/O outstanding (which is the common case for most desktop apps) the drive performs very poorly. Only about half the performance in business disk winmark compared to the same drive with tagged queuing disabled.

Anyone else tried this drive on a Pacific Digital controller with tagged queuing?

Hege,

I also got the 60GB model of the Deskstar 180GXP. Got it for free when I RMA my Deathstar 60GXP..:) The casing in which my drive comes in is quite diffrent from the one shown in the photo. Mine has a cap right in the middle of the drive. Not sure why is it like this. I am also not sure if this is default, but my drive had AAM disabled out of the bag and it's made in China instead of Thailand.

I have received my 2 replacement 120GXP's (40GB) and they too have a different casing than the ones I RMA'd and are made in China (just like above) ... but I wasn't that happy to see that the casing has a sticker on it that says the casing is a "recycled part".

Hi Maverick,

Yeah..I know how it feels to find that the part you are getting is a recycled part. When I RMA my Deathstar 22GXP a month back, I got back the same drive with a big orange sticker "Serviceable Ued Component"!!

Could it be that drives made in China have a diffrent casing?Just a guess... :?:

Sorry, forgot to post this. Mine is the 60GB version with 2MB cache. One notable diffrence is that the breather hole is covered by the front sticker

Actually, for the 30 and 60GB models, they use a different shell casing and the breather hole is in fact on the bottom of the drive.

The different shape of the casing must have been because it was more efficient for a single-platter drive.

There is (IMHO) no other difference between the 30, 60, 90 or 120GB drives - they even have exactly the same PCB (i checked the pcb numbers).

As far as reliability is concerned, i have a 3 year old 75GXP, working perfectly fine and two 180GXP's working perfectly fine. The failed 60GXP was due to some sort of power surge and was in no way the fault of IBM. I RMA'd it anyway and got an 180GXP replacement.

Still, the performance of these things aint bad and in some reviews they even beat the WD2000BB and JB models. With tag'n'seek we can only hope that the scores are even better...

our first unit was likely defective

The second unit was likely defective also - the data-transfer rate diagram was nowhere near as smooth as the one i had obtained. Still, since the review was done several months ago...

Same thing, the 1-Platter versions of the 120 and 180GXP's and possibly the 60GXPs (i.e. the 20 and 40GB 120GXP's and the 30/60GB 180GXP's) are made with a different casing to the larger versions. The breather hole for these disks are on the bottom, as per the specification sheet from IBM. More than this i do not know except that my 60GB and my 120GB 180GXP uses exactly the same PCB.

I'm not sure what you mean by "same thing". I was just saying that the exact same model and size, ie. 120GXP 40GB comes in at least 2 different casings. My theory is that they're just trying to use all the shells they have from faulty drives (because the casings say "recycled").

Incidentally, I just had a 60GXP 40GB fail - IBM DFT Result: "defective components"- it was manufactured in Oct '01.

My experience with IBM drives is that if you simply install them and never touch them again - they seem to be fine ... BUT as soon as you start adding drives to your system or moving things around, they develop boot sector errors and bad sectors etc. It doesn't matter how careful you are or whether you're properly earthed etc, these drives just don't seem very tolerant to system changes (and hence regular upgrading) ... but I will admit that they are fast. Not that Sandra is a useful HD benchmark, but for example, my File System Benchmark score with 2 RAIDed IBM 120GXP's is 53,100 - which is impressive.

IBM Hard Disk Drive Warranty - Service Notification

http://www.storage.ibm.com/warranty/

The IBM Warranty and Returns site will no longer be available as of 31 December 2002. On 1 January, 2003, IBM will transfer all support for Hard Disk Drives to Hitachi Global Storage Technologies, Inc. On January 6th, 2003, customers can continue RMA service via the Hitachi End User RMA site.