Davin

Maxtor Atlas 10k IV

Excellent review of an awesome drive. I see an update to the leader board just around the corner. It's scary to think about what their 15K drive will do.

Sweet. Maxtor reduces the choice between it and the MAP to a question of price. :)

Hi,

I'd like to ask if anyone knows the figures for the maximum heat disipation of the Atlas 10K IV drives? (Please note that this is not the idle power figures which you kindly supplied in the excellent review.)

I would like to know the figures for the 18, 36, 73, and 147 GB models. Any information will be greatly recevied.

Thanks

Stvy

Hi,

Excellent review. I've just discovered this resource and its great.

I'd like to ask if anyone knows the figures for the maximum heat disipation of the Atlas 10K IV drives? (Please note that this is not the idle power figures which are available on the maxtor product data sheet.), nor the temepratures you have quoted in your review.

I would like to know the figures for the 18, 36, 73, and 147 GB models. Any information will be greatly recevied.

Cheers

Stvy

Further to your request, you are looking for the maximum heat dissipation in

Watts for the Atlas 10K IV hard drives?

Hi,

I got a reply back from Maxtor tech support regarding the heat dissipation:

At this time, this spec has not been calculated. The spec is not available

for any of the current SCSI hard drives. When available, it will be listed

in the Drive Manual.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

In order to allow us to deal with all enquiries as efficiently and

accurately as possible we would ask that you include any previous emails

when replying to us.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,

So not to good, if they don't supply this info then how do people design enclosures for drives that have adequate cooling?

Cheers

Stvy

This comes out of the online manual for the Atlas 10K III Ultra 320, so this should be similar to the Atlas 10K IV.

Temperature 5° to 55°C

(Non-condensing) (41° to 131°F)

Drive reliability is closely related to the temperatures the drive is exposed to. The operational design temperature ambient is 86°F (30°C). Temperature ambient above 131°F (55°C) or below 41°F (5°C) may decrease drive reliability.

Hope this is of any help.

http://www.maxtor.com/en/documentation/man..._iii_manual.pdf

The Maxtor Atlas 10k IV review is a bit misleading. The review should have included the 10k III as a comparison drive. It is a faster drive than two of the comparison drives and the review would tell us how much the IV is better than the III. Finally,one can just as easily buy the III or IV as an upgrade drive. :idea:

Drives are so great I brought some, problem is they don't work under pressure and Maxtor doesn't seem to want to support them, try running these drives on FreeBSD systems I have Maxtor atlas 10k iv drives (36gx2) on aic7902 controller (u320) when you put any pressure on the drives they crash, drives came with firmware DFF0 and upgraded to DFV0 from Maxtor china (the usa Maxtor tech support didn't have a clue (still 3 months have gone and no fix)).

My advice to anyone looking at these drives, don't buy them until Maxtor has fixed the firmware. Funny thing when I told Maxtor china tech support I was using FreeBSD they were like "well they work on windows, maybe you should try that".

manufactures need to take more responsibility before releasing hardware, as the public all we can do is boycott them by not buying there products until they test on open source alternatives to a M$ world. :ph34r:

~ An unhappy customer