Sign in to follow this  
TheJack

Problems with SiS IDE drivers

My configuration:

TB 1.4 GHz

ECS K7S5A (SiS735 chipset)

Maxtor 6L040J2 (40GB 7200 rpm) (primary master)

Teac CD-W540E (secondary master)

Toshiba SD-M1612 (secondary slave)

256 MB ram DDR 2100

WinXP sp1

So, here's the thing. I've installed SiS's IDE Driver (you can find it on their page, it is ide202.zip from 10/28/2002 ( http://www.sis.com/support/driver/utility.htm) since it is supposed to be better then drives that come with WinXP.

Installation went smoothly, everything installed OK, but performance was worse. SiSoft Sandra 2002 for example showed lower disk index. It was even worse with Toshiba. Let's see:

If I try to copy a large file on a disk (cca- 700MB - a divx movie), Toshiba starts to behave erratically (tick, tick, tick...) like it is having trouble reading the cd. Reading is of course very slow. Usually this is happening for about 10 or 20 seconds or so, and then it starts to read cd normally.

But here's the interesting thing: If I try to copy more files from Toshiba to disk (divx movie and subtitles for example) everything goes normal! No ''hiccups'' whatsoever.

To summarize: If I copy just one large file to disk, there are problems. If I copy more files to disk (for example one large and more small ones) everything goes fine. In both cases I use the same cd, of course.

This happens just with Toshiba, but not with Teac.

I have naturally uninstalled the drivers, but the problem remains even with the old drivers (those that came with WinXP). Before I installed those drivers (ide202.zip), everything was OK. I tried everything: I even uninstalled ''SiS PCI IDE Controller'' from Device Manager so that Windows could install it again. Nothing works.

What should I do except re-install Windows?

Sorry about bad English. It is not my native tongue.

One more thing: In Event Viewer/System I get a lot of Warnings:

EventID: 51

Description: An error was detected on device DeviceCdRom1 during a paging operation.

as a general rule i never install 'extra' drivers (intel app accellerator, sis ide/agp drivers, etc) unless i'm actually having a problem. it seems unfortunate stuff like this happens more often than it doesn't :(

Guest russofris

Description: An error was detected on device DeviceCdRom1 during a paging operation.

Change the cable out on the Toshiba. I assume that you are using an 80 conductor IDE cable, that the toshiba is solo on the cahnnel as Master, and that it is on the end (not middle) of the cable. If any of the above is wrong, please change the configuration to that now.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

At this point I'd suspect your Toshiba drive, or the disc you're trying to read from, rather than the IDE drivers. Whenever I've seen this message it's always been bad hardware or bad media.

I agree... bad media most likely.... maybe just a poor or dirty laser in the CD drive....

I have gotten this error before when using cheap media that was hard for my burner to read.

You can run a "scandisk" type apllication on your CD if you want... It's called Nero CDspeed (made by the same people who make Neor burning ROM)... available free from www.cdspeed2000.com

If you need good media... get something made in Japan... like Fuji, some memorex, or maxell.

Verbatim seems to be made mostly in Taiwan, but I have also had good experiences with the datalife series.

Thank you all for the answers and help!

russofris: I did everything by your instructions. It didn't help. Toshiba still doesn't read as it should. It is interesting, that I don't have such problems with Teac...

BarryKNathan: Maybe. But I should say, that Toshiba is practically new (I bought in the summer).

blakerwry: Well, I tried this on several different media (TDK, Acer, TraxData...), that were burnt on different burners. I know Nero CDSpeed very well. I test every single media that I burn with it. And none of the media that I tried, had problems with it. Even more: Toshiba has no problems with media, if I try them in Nero CDSpeed! Everything works fine. The tests (transfer rate, scan disk, CD quality test...) show no problems. It is only when copying one large file from Toshiba to disk, that causes problems.

BarryKNathan: Maybe. But I should say, that Toshiba is practically new (I bought in the summer).
That doesn't mean it's not broken, however, it does sound a bit odd that the problems don't happen with Nero CDSpeed but they do happen with Windows file copying. What happens when you try copying from the command line (i.e, COPY or XCOPY command)? Comparing what happens at the GUI to what happens at the command prompt is one technique I've found to be useful when troubleshooting Windows boxes.

Also, regarding the cable possibilities again: Try a new (or known working, removed carefully from another computer, not bent at sharp angles, not nicked/scratched/scraped by sharp case edges) 80-conductor cable. Make sure the Toshiba is set to master, that the slave connector is empty (no device connected), and that the distance on the cable between the Toshiba and the empty slave connector is shorter than the distance from the slave connector to the motherboard (if it's the other way around, the cable's in backwards and that can cause problems, especially if the IDE controller or drive supports UltraATA/66 or higher).

I have naturally uninstalled the drivers, but the problem remains even with the old drivers (those that came with WinXP). Before I installed those drivers (ide202.zip), everything was OK. I tried everything: I even uninstalled ''SiS PCI IDE Controller'' from Device Manager so that Windows could install it again. Nothing works.

NOTE: I don't take responsibility if your system doesn't boot after this procedure. Do it at your own risk!

You uninstalled the device. However Windows is stupid enough to reinstall the newer drivers next time You boot (it finds new hardware). I suggest You check that .zip for .inf files. There should be at least one. Note the file name(s). Then go to windowsinf and find the file(s). Move it(them) to another folder, like desktop. Uninstall the device and reboot. Now Windows should find new device and install the older drivers for it, and should work as it used to.

If it does not boot, go to safe mode (or recovery console if necessary) and move the .inf files back, then reboot. This means that when You installed new drivers install overwrited the original .inf files with new ones. You should be able to find the original .inf files from XPs CD. Move the new .inf files again to another folder, then copy original files to Inf-folder. Reboot, should work as it used to.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers,

Jan

NOTE: I don't take responsibility if your system doesn't boot after this procedure. Do it at your own risk!

(complicated procedure snipped)

TheJack said he's using Windows XP. He should just be able to use Driver Rollback to go back to the old IDE driver, AFAIK (unless he's using XP Home and MS removed that from XP Home -- I don't know one way or another). I haven't actually used driver rollback for IDE drivers, but I've used it for video drivers and it's worked.