Sign in to follow this  
Davin

IBM Ultrastar 146Z10

I have a suggestion on how you might kick start the drive so you can get a sound reading (unless it needs a spin up command from the controller): Try hooking up another SCSI device (like a CD-ROM) to the drive, I've had some older external drives (can't remember which ones offhand) that would start up without the computer if another device on the chain powered up with it. Another way may be to use an old motherboard with a CPU that doesn't need a fan (486/33 or earlier).

Good review overall. Just two comments:

Fujitsu's MAN excels while the Ultrastar stumbles, yielding an enormous margin of 44%.

Should say MAP.

I'm not sure why the reliability section is included, since it has statements like:

the IBM Ultrastar 146Z10 is more reliable than (insufficient number of samples to determine)% of the other drives in the survey

which doesn't really say anything.

I'm not sure why the reliability section is included, since it has statements like:
the IBM Ultrastar 146Z10 is more reliable than (insufficient number of samples to determine)% of the other drives in the survey

which doesn't really say anything.

Maybe it's automatically generated (and thus will be automatically updated as the reliability survey is updated)? Just a guess...

The automatically generated reliability is cool, it will theoretically solve the problem that occured with the 75gxp still having a "safe buy" award (i assume you have fixed that)

Okay, I get it. Still, if there is not enough data, perhaps the two paragraphs that start "According to filtered and analyzed data collected from participating StorageReview.com readers" could be left out and replaced with something like:

There are 2 entries in the drive reliability database for this drive. The minimum number of entries for reliability statistics is 25. Statistics will posted on this page when this threshold has been reached.

You could stop the fans for a short time (try keeping it under 10-20 seconds) with a pencil or just unplugging them to get a sound reading.

Especialy if you just started the PC and the heatsink is cold this should do no harm. It's not enough time to build up heat enough to overheat. Just don't forget to plug the fan or take out the pencil again after the reading.

To the guy who suggested a 486-33: Via's C3 CPU (Socket370) come at up to 1GHz and doesn't need more cooling then a passive heatsink (passive=Without a fan) But that would change the testbed and could lead to unreliable results. (different resonance in the case etc)