Sign in to follow this  
Painkiller

Hypermicro has the 15K.3!!!

$246.00 for 18GB model,

$390.00 for 36GB model,

$739.00 for 73GB model.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the prices. Not much higher than the 36LP.

Further, we do not anticipate general availability of competing 3rd-generation product within the next few months.

So no Atlas 15K for months, yet? Or would this drive not be considered "third generation"?

Further, we do not anticipate general availability of competing 3rd-generation product within the next few months.

So no Atlas 15K for months, yet? Or would this drive not be considered "third generation"?

We're referring to both the Atlas 15k and the Fujitsu MAS with that statement.

Regards,

Eugene

Has anyone heard if the new Atlas 15k or Fujitsu MAS are supposted to perform better than the 15K.3's? I sure would hate to pick up a couple of these seagates for a raid setup, and then those two drives come out, and kick seagates butt, for the same price. I would :cry: ......

Do you guys see that the ST318453LC -X15 OEM, DRIVE ONLY is listed here:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?...rtby=14&order=1

for 219 + free shipping ?

So how much is the same drive in hypermicro.com after mentioning SR? And how do you mention SR while ordering?

I'd like to

1-support SR

2-and start my SCSI experience with this drive! Can't resist anymore!

Yeah, Newegg has had the 80-pin SCA drives for awhile. They don't have the 68-pin though. Hypermicro does have the 68-pin, and thats what a lot of us have been waiting for.

Ok. Pardon my ignorance, but what are the differences between the two? is it just the different cable they use? 68 vs 80 pins?

80-pin drives or commonly known as SCA drives are used if hot-swap capability is needed. The power and 68-pin interface connectors are merged at the backplane to an 80-pin interface connector. The cable remains the same as it is. That way, you don't have to shut down the system to take out any drives, or ones that failed for the matter. SCA drives are almost an exclusive domain of any decent RAID setup.

There are no performance discrepancy, only a matter of physical connection. If you get an 80-pin drives and you don't have a backplane, get an 80-to-68-pin adapter, a good one at that as bad adapters are the common source of connection problem. Backplanes and adapters are off the same design, the only difference are backplanes are integrated in the chassis.

80-pin drives or commonly known as SCA drives are used if hot-swap capability is needed. The power and 68-pin interface connectors are merged at the backplane to an 80-pin interface connector. The cable remains the same as it is. That way, you don't have to shut down the system to take out any drives, or ones that failed for the matter. SCA drives are almost an exclusive domain of any decent RAID setup.

There are no performance discrepancy, only a matter of physical connection. If you get an 80-pin drives and you don't have a backplane, get an 80-to-68-pin adapter, a good one at that as bad adapters are the common source of connection problem. Backplanes and adapters are off the same design, the only difference are backplanes are integrated in the chassis.

I would just get a 68Pin drive and not have the worry of an adapter. I almost got an 80pin drive w/adapter, but I waited. Glad I did, I think I'll get a 15K.3 from Hypermicro. Free shipping and no sales tax!

If your wanting to run at U320 or even U160 for that matter with these drives, the 80-68pin adapter is just one more thing that can go wrong, and knock you down from U320 to U160 or lower. Some of the cheaper adapters have also been known to not grip the harddrive very well. The 68pin and 80pin versions end up being the same price if you purchase an adapter anyways.

$246.00 for 18GB model,

$390.00 for 36GB model,

$739.00 for 73GB model.

I'm not surprised. I predicted long ago that the Hypermicro prices will be between $700 and $800. But wait, they'll fall down yet. :)

Leo

$246.00 for 18GB model,

$390.00 for 36GB model,

$739.00 for 73GB model.

I'm not surprised. I predicted long ago that the Hypermicro prices will be between $700 and $800. But wait, they'll fall down yet. :)

Leo

Yes, but by then the Maxtor 15K drive will be out. It will be faster, and more expensive. By the time the prices on that fall, another, faster drive will surely be available. Ad infinitum.

You think we will see the new maxtor 15K reviewed by Christmas? Or the new 15K Fujitsu drive?

And how do you mention SR while ordering?

Mind to answer this for me folks? :?

Put a note in the comments field. Unless something has changed and there is no comment field anymore. It worked for me the last time I ordered from HyperMicro.