lexu8

Maxtor Maxline Plus II 200GB 8MB VS WD2000JB 200GB 8MB

Hello, All

I've got to buy one of these 200GB 8MB Cache Buffer Hard Drive In The Next few days and I wonder if anyone here using one of these drive? :?:

They're both 200GB With 8MB Cache Buffer and Price are just about the same, $326.00 shipped for 200GB 8MB Maxtor Maxline II and $350.00 shipped for the Western Digital 200GB 8MB WD2000JB. 8O

I've got a few WD1200JBs In my machine right now But I've never use Maxtor Maxline with 8MB Cache so I do not know how it would compare to WD JBs series. :x

What would you buy? Why :idea: Please, Comment

Regards,

Alex

The Maxtor is offered with fluid bearing motors I don't believe the Western Digital has this. The fluid drive has less friction.

Aside From "Fluid Bearing Motors" Drive, What kind of performance advance over the standard Ball Bearing? Heat,Noise,DATA Transfer,seek etc.?

Anyone using Maxline II with 8MB Cache? What Kind Of Performance Advance compare to other Maxline or DM Plus 9?

Regards,

Alex.

Personally I'd go for the Maxtor. I own a 80GB D740X and a WD 800JB and the WD outperforms the Maxtor by very little. Hopefully that means with 8MB of cache instead of 2MB, the Maxtor should outperform the WD.

Kavman,

Thank you for the tip! I'll check it out tomorrow at my local CompUSA! But quation is, what one to get? WD2000JB or Maxline II? The price of the Maxline II 200GB 8MB's $100.00 lower after Rebate :twisted: I think I'll take my chance and I'll buy the Maxtor. :twisted: Hope I can get the Rebate Check :evil: ( I sended 6 Rebates out since summer and Never recieve one yet! :twisted: )

I hope Maxtor's will works as good as WD JBs series for moving lots of large files,Movies,Video & Pictures in media room (About 500GB to 600GB Of DATA in the next few weeks!) I'll try one and if it works good then I'll buy more of the same :roll: If not I'll go back to WD JBs

Still, My quation is... Anyone using one of these drive right now? How is the Maxline II With 8MB's Performance on moving,Copying and trasfer large DATA? :?:

Regards,

Alex.

This may be an old post, but FDB's are advantageous in the sense that they don't wear out like Ball Bearing drives. Ball Bearing drives eventually emit loud 'whirring' idle noises which can get pretty annoying.

In my experience, recent Maxtor drives are more reliable than Western Digital drives. This may not reflect the majority.

If you are interested in the performance differences, look at the database.

FDB also offer less vibration. This means the hard drive does not need to retry a Cyclinder while reading or writing if the Vibration get's too high.

Regards,

I own two Maxtor Maxline II plus 250GB drives, and I'm very pleased with them.

They don't offer the same speed as neither the Hitachi 7K250 nor the WD 250Gb drives, but the Maxline II series offer something far more important for me than speed - reliability. The Maxline series from Maxtor is the closest you get to SCSI drives in quality without being the real thing.

Maxtor claims the Maxline series is more durable and more thorough testet than other "normal" NON-SCSI harddrives - and Maxtor in fact recommend the Maxline II series for small servers and "near line applications"

The Maxline II plus also has FDB motor, which the WD don't have - the Hitachi 7K250 does have FDB motor also.

I use my two 250 GB Maxline for big storage - Mp3, Photos and bulk.

For speed I use 4 15K.3 SCSI drives.

But still the Maxline is pretty speedy for a big drive, and as manny other states, Maxtor has a pretty good reputation out there - haven't heard of many with problems with their Maxtor drives recently.........and the Maxline series stands for quality.

Both the maxtor and western digital are great drives. Either of them would be a good choice. I think the WD is faster though and the Maxtor a tad quieter. I would get the WD just because I usually purchase WD drives but the maxtor would be a fine choice as well :)