Sign in to follow this  
Alarmer

WD800JB , should it keep constant whine noise?

Hello there.

Before I carry my drive back to store I would like to certify that this indeed isnt normal for this drive.

I bought about week ago WD800JB and its really fast drive. The only problem is that to me it keeps constant whine sound.

If you listen to it fast it doesnt sound too bad but after a while it starts to be bit annoying. Also when the drive writes heavily it the sound has kinda Iron echo in it..

Normal to this drive? I know it should be noisier than other drives out there since its really fast but is this kinda noise normal for WD****JB drives?

Thanks in advance

Nope not normal, there was a thread a few days/weeks ago bout it. I personally have an 80JB that makes a whining noise. Going to rma it after I back up me data. I could barely hear anything when I first bought it, now the noise drives me nuts :)

Same here :)

It was like the one fellow in other JB thread said it .. The drive is "singing" in idle mode .

And during heavy reading it has Iron echoing sound in it too.

Its really annoying since its constant and doesnt go away..

BBBZZIIINNGGGnnnnbbbbzzIIIINNNGG

Up and down goes the whining sound..

Iam going to take it back next monday , local store fellow promised to phone the importer and handle the thing. Shouldnt be no problems since everybody has gotten a new drive when complaining about this noise trouble..

or so I hope :)

I just bought my first WD 80 gig JB to replace an IBM 60gxp as boot drive, only had it a few days and it's making the same damn noise as described in post before mine, if you could isolate the noise from other noises (fans etc in case) you could liken it to the noise (song) crickets make on a warm summer night except much quieter (no joke)

It's not severe but irritating if at computer for long time.

This is my only complaint about the JB (hope it's not typical?) performance is very good.

I'm also not impressed with my WD800JB. I've just mounted it in one of my 5 1/4" drive bays using an innovatek InnovaVibe kit which should reduce vibrations. It helps a bit, seeking noise is OK, but there's still a little whine left. Fluid bearings is really needed here.

Before this drive I had a WD1200JB. After overheating the drive (lack of ventilation during a period where data was copied from an older drive to the brand new WD1200JB) it started to emit a really noisy whine. Although this can be explained by the lack of cooling, my impression is, that recent WD drives does have a general weak point here.

I'm getting rid of my WD800JB in favour of one of those IBM 180GXP drives. I hope Eugene's testing will show that the 120GB/2MB cache version is a decent performer which is able to compete against the WD800JB and the likes.

I have the WD800JB and it does make some noise, but still the quietest drive I've seen bar my other drive, a Barracuda IV. I have a very quiet system or else I doubt it could be heard easily above the fan noise on most systems