Sign in to follow this  
Bleser

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 or WD WD400JB?

Hello all,

I recently had my desktop computer stolen :evil: and I am now in the process of building my replacement computer. I am in a bit of turmoil about which hard drive to get.

I had a Westen Digital 100GB SE drive (8MB cache, WD1000JB), but hardly used 10% of the available disk space, so I want my new system's drive to be smaller. I have found 40GB WD SE drives (WD400JB) for around $95, but I have also found Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 drives, 60GB capactiy for the same price. There are 8MB cache DiamondMax drives out there, but only 160GB and up are available now. The DiamondMax use the new fluid dynamic bearings and are supposed to be extremely quiet, and I do remember my 1000JB having a whining sound at idle, which was kind of annoying.

SO, 60GB quiet drive or 40GB fast drive? I already mentioned that capacity isn't a big deal, and honestly I didn't notice a huge speed benefit from the 8MB cache drive. I have not found a review of the DiamondMax Plus 9 series yet to see how fast it is relative to WD's SE series, so if someone has found a review, let me know!

Which drive would YOU get?

I would get the DiamondMax Plus 9 60gb because the computer it would go in is the one in my room that plays MP3's when I go to bed.

Plus 9: Very quiet, reasonably fast, high STR, slower burst transfer.

WD400JB: Not as quiet(depends on drive), slow STR, fast burst transfer.

BTW, how did your computer get stolen?

I had taken my computer home from college for a weekend in order to use my dads drill and hole saw to make some modificatinos to the underside of my brand new Coolermaster ATC-210 case. I had it testing overnight and decided to put it in my car over my lunch break from work so I could save a trip of having to go back to my parent's house after work. It was in my car unattended for a period of three hours, and in those three hours my car was broken into, radio f*cked up (they couldn't steal it for some reason), car's steering column ripped open (attempted to steal the car) and computer stolen. Words cannot desciribe how mad I was, especially after just spending hours modifying the case.

Anyway, pardon my stupidity, but what is 'STR' that you refer to? Do you honestly think that the Plus 9 will be noticeablly slower than the WD400JB? I know the WD is probably faster, but I feel that it would probably only be faster on paper and in benchmarks, and not in actual everyday desktop use.

Any more thoughts?

Well, I just noticed that IBM is offering their new 180GXP series of drives with fluid dynamic motors, too, and has a 60GB capacity for about $98. Yet another option! Should I consider this drive? I have always loved IBM drives but over the past few months I have heard bad things as far as reliability is concerned...

Guest russofris
Anyway, pardon my stupidity, but what is 'STR' that you refer to?

Sequential Transfer Rate. This is a measure of the maximum speed that a drive can read data that is all neatly lined up. Higher STR equates to higher performance when working with large files.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

I'd get the WD400JB If you don't need much space. WD JBs series are much,much faster than DM Plus 9 :x .

I've got 2 DM Plus 9 80GB right now and they're dog compare to my 6 OTHER WD1200JBs.

Yes,I've got both brands you mentions and I will never going to buy another Maxtor.They run very HOT Very SLOOOW compare to WD or IBM. :!: I'm using these 2 DM Plus 9s only because of my customer wants IBM 180GXPs instead after I Opened these 2 drives. :evil:

Beside,the WD400JB come with 3 years Warranty and Maxtor don't! :idea:

Well, after much reading and thinking, I went with the drive I thought I would least likely choose....the 60GB IBM 180GXP!

I loved my old 60GXP, and the only reason I sold it was because of the rumors I heard about IBM drive failures. But you know, I was never really blown away by the WD1000JB and I never used the space. I figure that, after having my computer stolen, I'll be doing more backups now then ever, and I have always viewed IBM hard drives as the best drives out there. I've had WD drives fail, my friends have had Maxtors fail, but I have honestly never personally seen an IBM drive fail, and I've been a computer technician for over four years now.

I'll let you know what I think when I receive it!

Well, after much reading and thinking, I went with the drive I thought I would least likely choose....the 60GB IBM 180GXP!

I loved my old 60GXP, and the only reason I sold it was because of the rumors I heard about IBM drive failures. But you know, I was never really blown away by the WD1000JB and I never used the space. I figure that, after having my computer stolen, I'll be doing more backups now then ever, and I have always viewed IBM hard drives as the best drives out there. I've had WD drives fail, my friends have had Maxtors fail, but I have honestly never personally seen an IBM drive fail, and I've been a computer technician for over four years now.

I'll let you know what I think when I receive it!

Cool. Where did you find the drive? Newegg dosen't seem to have the drive at all :( .

If you're lucky and the 60Gb 180GXP has 60Gb all on one platter, then it may indeed be faster than the 40GB drive that you thought would be faster than 60. Higher data density reads faster though I don't know about writes.