Sign in to follow this  
ap0calyps

Adaptec HostRAID performance, anyone?

It's the fastest RAID 0 controller I have come across, but it's still nothing special. Doesn't scale well at ALL compared to IDE RAID.

For example, a single 120GXP IBM drive sustains lets say 30MB/s, so in theory a pair of them in RAID 0 should sustain 60MB/s. With IDE RAID you get pretty close to that. Add a 3rd drive, 90MB/s.

With the 39320R, single X15-36LP sustains 55MB/s, so a pair in RAID 0 should sustain 110MB/s, and it does. Now when I add in a 3rd X15-36lp you would expect transfer rates to go up by roughly 55MB/s, but they DONT. ATTO benchmarks increase about 10MB/s. Same with PCMark and Sandra.

So I wasted $500 Cdn on a 3rd drive for NOTHING because NOBODY seems to be able to do SCSI RAID 0 properly.

Are you running on a 32bit PCI bus?

I have both the 29320-R and 39320-R and they are definately fast.

I can categorically state they both do Raid 0, Raid 1 and Raid 10 with upto a maximum of 4 disks (per channel for the 39320).

Using 2 x 3 x 15.3 Raid 0 software striped (you can't raid across the channels :( ) ie 6 disks. I get >400mb/s at the start of the disk and >330mb/s at the end. Atto gives upto about 360mb/s.

Is that fast enough? Access time is <6ms. If anyone wants benchies I can email em as I can't host em currently.

Steer clear of zero channel raid tho' - its performance is ****.

Gandelf

They support RAID10? In the online-manual for the HostRAID (?) it doesn''t say so. Nonetheless, that would be great but not too bad if it doesn't. :)

Is it possible to hook up my old SCSI-Scanner at the external port and at the same time run a few HDDs, utilizing th 29320? Or will the scanner (EPSON) slow down everything?

What about attaching UW (40MB/s) and 320er HDDs - will everyone work at its maximum speed or all at 40MB/s.

Sorry if I'm blind and that's somewhere in the FAQ, I cannot seem to find it. :cry:

Results with 4 cheetah 15k.3 drives on a 29320LP-R controller:

ZD WinBench 99 Version 2.0

Disk Inspection Tests:

Transfer Rate, Beginning: 245000 kb/s

Transfer Rate, End: 204000 kb/s

... and no RAID 10 :-(

Adaptec says they MIGHT implement it in a later BIOS release, but not yet.

I was very disappointed, because the current BIOS got a RAID 10 option - which is disabled.

I've just purchased the 39320 and have it on my mobo right now. Waiting for a psu in the mail.

My setup is as follows:

Supermicro x5dal-g mobo

2x 2.4xeon 533fsb

1gig reg ecc ram

ati raedon 9700 pro

creative audigy 2

toshiba 40x cdrom 50pinscsi

yamaha 16x10x40 cdrw 16mb buffer 50pinscsi

2 x seagate 10k u160 36lp 36gig hard drives

adaptec 39320-R hba

This will be on a clean install of win xp pro.

I'm willing to be a guinea pig for any tests/setups!

!!CAUTION!! Newbie on the field! I just started a thread on how to deal with the scsi hardware setup actually!

System should be up and running by Wednesday of next week.

What are you using to run the 50 pin optical drives?

You didn't ask me, so sorry for jumping in.

I have a 29320 and on my card there is a 50-pin header. With SCSI-320 devices on the internal LVD connector and Ultra SCSI devices on the 50-pin header, things still initialize at 320 levels for the LVD devices.

I had a look, and while the 29320-R has a legacy 50 pin connector, the 39320 series doesn't. So looks like he'll need a 68pin->50 pin converter.

I had a look, and while the 29320-R has a legacy 50 pin connector, the 39320 series doesn't. So looks like he'll need a 68pin->50 pin converter.

Ewwwww ... blech

Youre right Pradeep, I will be forced into using an adapter.

I agree with you boggsie, but I already had the optical drives. After I get over the shock of spending the money from the rest of the setup, I will look for more recent hardware. Baby steps! :D

Interesting review. Especially the increased STR using RAID 1 on the Tekram.

There is a small typo I think, in the first two graphs:

Tekram DC-390U3B - IM RAID 1 - 2x 10K.6

Tekram DC-390U4B - 1x 10K.6

I assume the 390U3B should be 390U4B?

The 29320 and 39320 look like they have very good RAID 0 performance.

But I don't think they will do RAID 10, only either RAID 0 OR Raid 1.

Correct. they will not support raid 0+1 (or any mode other than 0 or 1)

I had an opprotunity to talk to adaptec tech support last week because 29320 card was not playing nice in a new system I was building... Ive recently had a chance to test a LSI U320 card, and liked it much better...