Sign in to follow this  
Piyono

Dead Maxtor

One of my 60GB D740X drives just bit the big one. It happened very suddenly yesterday. I managed to recover some of the data but I'm still out of about 20GB of recording sessions. Can't wait to tell the bands.

Here's how it happened (in point form):

USB 1.1 Flash Card reader and USB 2.0 HD both plugged in.

Unplugged Flashcard reader without unmounting.

Windows (2000) error message: "Don't do that"

Plugged Flash Card reader back in to unmount properly but accidentally unmounted USB HD instead.

Turned off HD

Unmounted Flahscard reader and Unplugged.

Turned back on HD

Error: "Drive Not Formatted. Format?"

Shut down computer and removed HD from USB enclosure

Connected HD to IDE channel.

Windows takes forever to boot

Finally in Windows, drive is accessible but some folders not accessible due to I/O error

Salvaged what I could

Restarted computer

Windows still boots slow, drive recognized, now all folders are accessible, start copying remaining data but I/O error cuts operation short

Reboot computer and forget to skip Windows' diagnostics. Windows "fixes" bad drive - Now folders still visible but data no longer accessible

Spinrite reports 33hr job time. Waiting till weekend.

In case anyone's curious, I put a mic to the drive and recorded it making this sound as it tried to access certain sectors. Disregard the tone change midway through the recording -- I was moving the mic.

Sounds like physical damage, huh? I guess data recovery software is out of the question (but I'll still try Spinrite).

Now a question: does it seem more likely that the drive was damaged somehow by the USB plugging described above, or due to the fact that it was always on the move in my napsack? I will add that I was not unduly rough in handling and trasporting the drive in its enclosure.

Thoughts?

Piyono

Do you hear irregular clicks or whines? Does the drive get detected (in a resonnable time) in the BIOS? Run Maxtor's utilities to test the drive to confirm that the drive is broken. Maybe the USB unplugging just damaged the file system...

Do you hear irregular clicks or whines? Does the drive get detected (in a resonnable time) in the BIOS? Run Maxtor's utilities to test the drive to confirm that the drive is broken. Maybe the USB unplugging just damaged the file system...

The drive makes this sound.

I'll try Maxtor's utilities.

Piyono

The drive is trying (unsuccessfully) to access the servo tracks, hence the banging around (think of someone stumbling in a pitch black room trying to find the light switch ;)). The usual things that can cause this are:

- code bug (unlikely if the drive's worked until now)

- damaged heads (due to mishandling of the drive, ESD, or contamination)

If it was damaged media, I'd expect to hear the heads repeatedly try to seek the same "bad spot," but it would otherwise find its way. I suspect there's head damage due to jostling the drive too much, but that's just a guess on my part. While it's possible a voltage spike from the USB enclosure made it to the HDD's heads, I think it's less likely than the moving around at causing a problem.

Sounds knackered to me.

Go with Spinrite or Easy Recovery Pro - you'd be surprised how much these utils can pull off a totally mangled drive.

The drive makes this sound.

I'll try Maxtor's utilities.

Piyono

Don't ALL Maxtors sound like that??? :roll: