Sign in to follow this  
Piyono

Ten-Gallon Inkjet?

I'm entertaining recollections of an inkjet printer that feeds from external, refillable, milk-jug-sized reservoirs of ink. Is my overactive imagination playing tricks on me again, or is there such an alternative to the expensive, wastefull reality that is the modern desktop inket printer?

Also, what's everyone's favorite CAN$300 laser printer? We need to replace our ageing, broken-to-bits (original) HP LaserJet4 but we don't want to spend the CAN$1800 that it cost in 1996.

Piyono

Here my three cents (the first two are free)

a) Prohibitive cost of large reservoir.

B) Portability issues, where to place reservoir in relation to printer, i.e. distance away, ink hose(s) to printer my have limited length

c) When the ink carts are replaced you are also replacing the heads, i.e. single unit. New method would require heads to be cleaned more often.

I hate to think what would happen if you dropped an "ink barrel" on your new carpet.

:lol:

The closest I've seen to this concept is this:

http://h20022.www2.hp.com/busprod/specific...sidebarLayId=64

The cartridges are plugged-in on the left side of the printer and DONT MOVE. They're about double the normal size, and the heads do need to be replaced seperatly (though not as often). As you can imagine, this solution is NOT cheap.

Inkjet printers are uselsss IMO unless you just have to print your own photos. For any other printing task, however, 99 times out of 100 I would rather use a laser.

IMO, there is no such thing as a good laser printer for C$300. The contenders in the GTA are the Samsung ML-1210 and the Brother HL-1230, both retailing for $300. Both, however, are GDI "Winprinters", totally dependent on the Windows printer driver and host computer for processing. I would take the Brother solely on the basis of it having a bottom feeder paper tray (as opposed to the vertical paper tray that will inevitably start feeding multiple pages in a year or two).

Moving up, we have two printers at the C$400 price range. The HP LaserJet 1000 and the Samsung ML-1430. The HP LaserJet 1000 is a castraited version of the LaserJet 1200, using a GDI Windows host processing system. The redeeming quality of this printer is that it has a side feeder paper tray that is easily accessible so you can stuff the paper back in and manually duplex the output. It uses a Canon print engine (with its integrated toner + drum cartridge) with good-looking output. The two nice features about the Lexmark built Samsung is that is uses a PostScript processing engine with a 66 MHz processor instead of the GDI setup of its cheaper ML-1210 sibling, and it has easily accessible Cancel Print Job and Save Toner buttons on the front panel (this is the same as the ML-1210 as well). But unfortunately, like ML-1210, it also uses the dreaded vertical paper tray.

Now to the good stuff. The C$600 HP LaserJet 1200 uses a Postscript processing engine with a 90 MHz Motorola ColdFire RISC processor and 8 MB of RAM. And it includes the nice side-feeder paper tray like the LaserJet 1000. Canon 1200 dpi print engine. Not coincidentally, I bought this very printer a couple weeks ago over the other choice on this list. The choice was between the LaserJet 1200 and the C$940 (after $200 rebate) LaserJet 2200D with built-in auto duplexer. Although I wanted the auto-duplexer, I couldn't justify the extra expense.

I'm entertaining recollections of an inkjet printer that feeds from external, refillable, milk-jug-sized reservoirs of ink. Is my overactive imagination playing tricks on me again, or is there such an alternative to the expensive, wastefull reality that is the modern desktop inket printer?

Piyono

This looks like what you may be after, perhaps you might need larger containers to use as `milk jugs` but the principle is available

http://www.nomorecarts.com/

or

http://www.weink.com/inkjet/ultraflo4/index.html

ddrueding1, I know about large-format printers -- they're not what I'm looking for.

Moike, now that's what I'm talkin' about! Thanks!

e_dawg, My office has 3 ML-1210s. None are more than a year old so I can't comment on the long-term accuracy of the paper feeding mechanism, but I can tell you that for the kind of output I require a Winprinter is fine. In fact, I've printed some large InDesign files for proofing without any noticable drag on the computer. Yeah, I'd love a PostScript-enabled speed demon with a 12GHz RISC chip but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. A $600 printer with a 66MHz CPU might be more in my league, however...

;)

Piyono