Sign in to follow this  
Occupant

Zero MAC address.

Our local DSL ISP gives out IP's based on MAC addresses. Now the onboard nic of the AOpen MX 46 - 533V, gives a MAC address of ZERO.

(all zeros 00:00:00:00 ect.) its not a flawed example of board (I checked a second motherboard randomly pulled from the shelf, and it did the same thing) how do you work around this? (the ISP wont allow the MAC address to register)

I tried both possible solutions. The driver update from SIS doesnt change the MAC address, the id program wouldnt work, because I had to have the MAC address to enter. (there was no sticker with the MAC address anywhere on the motherboard) I didnt want to invent one, because Id probably pick an invalid address.(there must be rules for MAC address, like there are rules for everyother addressing formula)

The MAC address is made up of a few parts such as vendor, product, etc. However, that's the only difference between any MAC addresses. If you have an old unused NIC lying around that has the MAC address on it, you can safely pinch it's address.

FWIW, I had the same problem with the onboard VIA NIC on my IWill board and was able to program it with the address I found on the board. It was printed on a sticker on the inner side of the printer port. Not sure if that's a typical place to find it, but may be worth looking there.

did you try opening up a command prompt screen and running the ipconfig /all command?

Yes, thats how you find the MAC or Physical Address (in Windowese) Ive scince talked to our AOpen rep who's insisting its a driver problem with win xp only... and to use the specific drivers that are on the cd rom that came with the system board. (something I didnt do, I downloaded newer drivers of the internet (from both AOpen and SIS) but apparently the fix is on the cdrom only) So Iam going to go in on monday (we're closed for the holiday) specificly to test this.

did you try opening up a command prompt screen and running the ipconfig /all command?

Hmm...

Just ran that on the box I am posting from and it detected my Intel Pro/1000 card just fine with a MAC address. However, the 3Com 3C905C-TX that is also installed comes up with a MAC of 00-00-00-00-00-00. Even stranger, it is the one that is connected to the rest of the network (the 1GB card is directly connected to another 1GB adapter outside of the normal network) and it works fine; I guess since it is the only card on my home network with that MAC it is not causing any problems.

Guess I'll need to find a 3Com utility to reset the address...

Hmm...

Just ran that on the box I am posting from and it detected my Intel Pro/1000 card just fine with a MAC address. However, the 3Com 3C905C-TX that is also installed comes up with a MAC of 00-00-00-00-00-00. Even stranger, it is the one that is connected to the rest of the network (the 1GB card is directly connected to another 1GB adapter outside of the normal network) and it works fine; I guess since it is the only card on my home network with that MAC it is not causing any problems.

Guess I'll need to find a 3Com utility to reset the address...

Yes a MAC address of zero does work with most things, the one thing it doesnt work for is our local DSL ISP, which uses the mac address to assign an IP, and views zero as invalid.