Sign in to follow this  
mak

off from a 75GXP to a WD800JB

Well, we all know all the history behing the ibm 75GXP. Luckily enough i didnt have any problems with mine (well yeah, i had wierd noises but silent ones).

Now that i have the WD (with which i dont have any problems either), i realize how good was the 75GXP. Of course the WD performance is a lot better than the ibms, but there is an age difference. What i did really like about the ibm was that i could hardly hear it. The seeks on the WD are mouch louder.

This wouldnt bother me if the WD, dunno why, wouldnt work so much. I mean, while im writing these, the HD might start working on something. Forget those flat lines of hdtach, now i got down peaks up to 900kbs. watching tv on the PC? -> hd noise. etc...

The system is brand new (P4 2Ghz, asus p4s8x sis648,g4 4200,audigy). It could be anything, something running on background, or chipset behaviour etc...i still have a lot of things to try to solve this...

Anyhow, with my previous system this was straight, didnt have to run into this issues. The worst thing is that i feel like i have failed miserably in one of my objectives with the new system: quieter operation (i even runned from amd for this) sniff

What OS are you running on the new machine?

WinXP does lots of background stuff that previous version of Windows don't. System restore is the main culpret.

System Restore...? Is that the thingie I always disable by default? :)

I agree that the performance and noise of the 75 GXP still makes it a rather good drive compared to current drives. It's just that I god burned badly by a bunch of bad drives :cry:

windows xp, system restore is off.

maybe i can change it for an ibm 120GXP, how does it compare with the WD and the 75GXP's?

And i know im taking a risk here...

The 120GXP is quieter, and the 180GXP is even quieter, thanks to FDB motors for the 180GXP.

nice sig :)

i was wondering if theres anyway to see what processes hit the HD. I saw a comment of one guy that observed crcss.exe hitting the hd 280K times for a total data transfer of 4 mb.

And also i would like to try a benchark program like hdtach or winbench but that runs out of the windows environment, dos, drdos, or whatever.

Any ideas? thanks

mak.

nice sig :)

i was wondering if theres anyway to see what processes hit the HD. I saw a comment of one guy that observed crcss.exe hitting the hd 280K times for a total data transfer of 4 mb. 

And also i would like to try a benchark program like hdtach or winbench but that runs out of the windows environment, dos, drdos, or whatever.

Any ideas? thanks

mak.

Thank you...dog dog didn't like it :twisted: .

Sorry, can't help you out here...

I'm surprised at your experience. I would suggest that it is something with the new machine configuration.

I recently upgraded the HDs in my machines. I was running 2 45GB IBM 75GXP in raid-1 on ABIT-KT7A-RAID for over 2 years. I needed more space and wanted better performance, so I purchased 2 WD800JBs.

I am now running the 2 WD800JB in raid-1 and the 2 IBM 75GXP in raid-0 (for swap, cache files, etc.).

The WDs are definitely quieter than the IBMs in both idle and seek noise.

well maybe im getting this feeling because my computer is much more silent now. If i boot my old comp i cant hear the WD either.

I think that you spend a lot of time with the computer, getting used to it becomes more of an issue, like getting used to new shoes heh :), being my computer my computer my work system, my gaming system, my tv and my music system...i just hope i dont get into the eBook thingy...

My experience with wd harddrives are also that they are alot quieter than the 75gxp and 60gxp. So there must be something strange going on with your drive! I also feel that the 1200jb drive is ALOT faster than the 40gb 60gxp drive i had before.

I tried a WD600JB and then a 800JB in the same machine. The 800JB I had was lot noisier. Rat-a-tat-tat as it seeks, while the 600JB is silent. Some drives make more noise than others, I sent the 800JB back.

If your harddrive makes to much noise, buy an harddriveframe from noise-control. The basic idea is that your drives is mounted i a 5 1/4 " frame, with rubberbands. These rubberbands absorbs the mechanical vibrations from the drive. The result - no annoying sounds from drive. It costs about €30 - €40, around the same in dollars.

http://www.noisecontrol.de/info/infplra.htm

- the pages are in german, but I think it gives the general idea.