Davin

Seagate Barracuda ATA V

I've just bought 4 120 Gb Barracuda V's and not one of them is as silent as my 80 Gb Barracuda IV (in my view anyway). I've seen this opinion expressed afew times in this thread but people seem to have discounted it as faulty drives. I hope I haven't got 4 faulty drives.

just to clarify, the noise when the drive spins up seems to be louder, with a louder whine while the drive is running (this is the noise I was hoping to cut down on). I estimate it as about twice as loud. given the distances that the noise dropped off at. I listened to all of these drives bare so maybe in the case they could possibly sound different??? I still doubt the 120Gb V is quiter than my 80Gb IV though.

anyone else agree or have a view on this?

P.S. I wish people would stop harping on about the rubbish performance etc. we can see the charts in the review. if you disagree with the review pipe up - if you just want to point out the obvious, shut up.

I understand that Seagate is the quietest drive around

AN idea if the newest 7200.7 is able to match up to performance in terms of performance for applications such as playing back 5 Gb MPEG 2/DVD files from hard disk , HTPC applications like FFdshow, Theatre tek , D scaler, Powerstrip, and less often video editing

SR's review of the 7200.7 will be here shortly. In the meantime, the test results are already in SR's Performance Databace - the 7200.7 has slightly better STR, slightly slower seeks, slightly better desktop performance and is slightly noisier.

Most of the tasks you mention would benefit a little from the STR of the 7200.7, but unless you're multitasking you probably wouldn't stress any recent 7200 RPM drive with those apps. If you've got a V, stick with it. If youre choosing between the V and the 7200.7, it's a question of what's more important: noise and seeks, or STR? The differences are pretty small, though.

i am planning on buying a seagate barracuda 120 gig 8meg Cache hd next weak for $164Australian. i am quite impressed with how quite it is as its for our server which sits in my brothers room who sleeps till 11am so it won't keep him awake. the preformence is nominal over the quietness and it plan to also buy a sata version for my own computer when i upgrade.

overall if you want a quiet computer like me you will be hard done by to find a quieter one then the seagate, but if you are interested more in preformance and don't worry about noise to much the there are a lot of metter drive like the Wester digital or the IBM hard drive instead

SR's review of the 7200.7 will be here shortly. In the meantime, the test results are already in SR's Performance Databace - the 7200.7 has slightly better STR, slightly slower seeks, slightly better desktop performance and is slightly noisier.

Most of the tasks you mention would benefit a little from the STR of the 7200.7, but unless you're multitasking you probably wouldn't stress any recent 7200 RPM drive with those apps. If you've got a V, stick with it. If youre choosing between the V and the 7200.7, it's a question of what's more important: noise and seeks, or STR? The differences are pretty small, though.

The 7200.7 is slightly faster, but it's much more noisy in terms of seek and idle sound as well, and it does the audible regular offline scan. I vote for the V, which has SeaShield and seems to be more reliable as well, according to the Database.