Davin

Seagate Barracuda ATA V

all I know is this, my home is quiet and the few db of some 7200 rpm drives is something that is so simple to bare.  Besides, you r telling that your hdds are louder than your fans (like the cpu fan).  PLease tell me the company who makes those cuz i want them.  All of my fans (2) are louder than any hdd in my system.

damn it

Yeah, definitely. I purchased an IBM 80 gig drive about a year ago as a last minute decision because the very quiet fujitsu drive (which I had priviously owned) was delivered in a non-working state.

I have regretted this because the drive makes weird grinding noises, quite unlike the constant "whoosh" of the fan which is white noise and thus doesn't annoy. It's not failing, it has been tested and it's just a noisy drive.

I was thinking of getting one of these drives ever since I pulled out my SCSI RAID array from my desktop computer after getting tired of the excessive noise. However, the imminent death of my IDE drive (on which I do all my work) has necessitated an immediate search for a new drive. I was really hoping to pick up one of these, does anyone know where I could buy a 120GB model online? Maybe even from a vendor that sponsors StorageReview?

You know folks, I have been an IBM fan for years, and even a maxtor fan too.
Time to replace everything with WD drives.
THen I heard about the NEW Seagate Barracuda V (and no it is NOT 'Cuda', it is BARRACUDA),
Besides, you r telling that your hdds are louder than your fans (like the cpu fan).

It's not "you r," it's "you are."

I build ATA servers part-time,
Which company is that?
But in the ATA market (due to the release of this drive), I HAVE LOST ALL HOPE FOR OTHER FUTURE ATA HDDS FROM THESE GUYS--it is a shame.
Because as we all know, if a manufacturer ever releases a single drive which does not have excellent performance, it necessarily means that all future drives by that company will be the same way.
just listen (look at my name) anyway, you need to understand that I am a hdd authority.
It's "I am an HDD authority." and you have frequently shown that you are not. To be an authority requires that you have extensive knowledge of the topic in question. It has nothing to do with whether or not you claim to have extensive knowledge, and has even less to do with the name you have chosen to use on the board.

hey sivar, ever listen to the way you criticize people on this website. You love the phrase (please use the search). Now if someone does not want to use the search on this site, well they dont have to! So who the hell are you to sit at your measly little machine (computer in SANTA BARBARA CALIFORNIA) and break down my quotes for your pleasure! You know something, if you had half a brain you would get a life and forget your litle fixation of correcting people (and treating them like crap). Where as I only prevoke, when prevoked.

So there u stupid cunt.

So there u stupid cunt.

Let's keep it civil folks. There are plenty of other boards you can use if you want to post garbage like this.

hey sivar, ever listen to the way you criticize people on this website.  You love the phrase (please use the search).
Telling people about the search function is completely appropriate. Have you heard the phrase, "Give a man a fish, you will feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish, and you will feed him for the rest of his life."

If it is fairly easy to quickly find answers to questions using a search tool, it both helps the individual to tell them about the tool (they can find more information without waiting for responses, and find it faster), and helps the board by reducing the number of duplicate posts. It is in no way critical.

Further, "You love the phrase (please use the search)." implies that I post messages like that frequently. If you will scroll through my messages, you will find that less than 1% of them even mention the search function, and that most that do still give useful information in addition and are quite polite.

Now if someone does not want to use the search on this site, well they dont have to!
No, they do not. Chances are, they would be more than happy to if they know about an effective search tool. The search tool on most PHPBB-powered bulletin boards is not very easy to spot. If they are simply being too lazy to search, I will be too lazy to post a full reply, but getting information on a tool which will help get the answer is better than no answer at all.
So who the hell are you to sit at your measly little machine (computer in SANTA BARBARA CALIFORNIA) and break down my quotes for your pleasure!

???

You know something, if you had half a brain you would get a life and forget your litle fixation of correcting people (and treating them like crap).

It seems you missed the point of my message. Notice I only corrected any part of your message after pointing out that you did the same thing. Giving you a taste of your own medicine.

(and no it is NOT 'Cuda', it is BARRACUDA)
Remember?

Now, I don't particularly dislike you. I just find you irritating. If you look at the responses to your posts from quite a few others, you will find they feel at least irritated with you. You have never expressed an interest in posting intelligent messages and have never expressed an interest in learning, rather than telling. If you would like to ascend above the status of troll, I am certain many people here would be more than happy to give you feedback.

However, if you keep pushing your rather uninformed opinion on a variety of matters that, frankly, you have a lot to learn about; you can expect the same general responses (though probably not from me, I tend to ignore you). If you are simply a troll, laughing at how easy it is to irritate people (that is, if you are annoying intentionally), you should really find another hobby.

Not that I am completely innocent. I have made statements which turned out to be completely incorrect, but I made efforts to correct the information, rather than convince others that it was still right. You might try the same.

Hi,

I've purchased this hdd (last friday) as I was quite happy

with my 40g bara IV (absolutly silent, I had to put my fingers

on it to be sure it works..).

Pros:

+ it has 120GB kapacity

+ that it has at least the same performance as the IV (Sandra 2002: 27k first third NTFS, 26k FAT32 middle, 18k FAT32 end)

Cons:

- hot, hot (did +3grade in my case)

- loud (it generates a high pitch whistle) and when moving heads

you can hear those clearly even outside the case

So in comparision with my previous bara IV 40G is MUCH more

louder.

PS: How to switch on the noise reduction (as I am sure this MUST

be off)??

Thanks.

If your drive is exceptionally loud then it is most likely a faulty unit. You should not be able to hear a whine with the Cuda V. The seeks should be pretty much silent too unless you put your head right upto the drive.

Hi Timwith, hello Storagereview,

I returned the cuda V drive and got a new one so I will test it today

One interesting remark to my first drive:

There is a SMART parameter called Seek Error Rate vital

for the disk. I've checked several other disks and there is

0 hexa.

The before mentioned disk did following:

- during copying large amount data (eg program files folder)

from partition to partition the number of Seeks Errors

had increased by amount of aprox. 1000h every 20-30 seconds,

the total number was like 342CE34 hexa.

What does it mean in reality (the seeks were quite loud so

I guess the unit had a problem to find the proper track)..

Thanks for an explanation of SMART parm.

Hi Timwith, hello Storagereview,

I returned the cuda V drive and got a new one so I will test it today

One interesting remark to my first drive:

There is a SMART parameter called Seek Error Rate vital

for the disk. I've checked several other disks and there is

0 hexa.

The before mentioned disk did following:

- during copying large amount data (eg program files folder)

from partition to partition the number of Seeks Errors

had increased by amount of aprox. 1000h every 20-30 seconds,

the total number was like 342CE34 hexa.

What does it mean in reality (the seeks were quite loud so

I guess the unit had a problem to find the proper track)..

Thanks for an explanation of SMART parm.

Unfortunately, all SMART RAW parameters are vendor specific. You need to ask Seagate what the value means. The SMART attribute value is the what you should monitor as this value has passed through the firmware's algorithms taking the raw values, cooking them, and serving them up for consumption. :) Sorry for the bad analogy, I couldn't help myself :)

RAW data could be:

1. A running average of some metric for seeks.

2. The total number of seeks with some multiplier.

3. A random value used to confuse.

4. Any/None of the above.

SMART algorithms are generally not shared, watch the attribute value (current and worst) and ignore the RAW data.

Free

I'm only wondering about one thing and that is if it's as lousy as the barracuda IV in raid thinking about Raid 0 or has seagate fixed this problem with this V model barracuda IV had in fact lower result in raid 0 than as a single drive ! :oops:

I saw igorb was wondering too does anyone know maybe you guys should have included that in the test since it's a very common setup

does anyone have any info on this ?

Does anyone know when Seagate is expected to introduce the new version of the HD

I searched and found the 3800AS model number in shops in England??

its the Barracuda V you are after ? They sell the 120gigs in Maplin for £125 inc VAT. I'm not having much fun with mine though - its very slow.

Clunesy

I finally bought the Barracuda V 120GB - as a replacement of my Barracuda IV (80GB) - after trying out the new WD special edition drives.

I have tried one WD1600JB (160GB), and 2 WD1800JB (180GB) - all with 8MB of buffer. I returned the first 160GB and 180 GB because they were noticeably louder than my cuda IV , the last 180GB was more quiet than the other 2 but died on me after 8 days (a rattling noise for 15mn then goodbye).

So I decided to go with the new Barracuda V.

So far I have it for a week and I am very happy with it. It is extra quiet (even more than the IV and even while seeking with the noise reduction on).

For what I use it for (I do compile very large programs - more than 3000 Java classes - on it), I did not see any difference with the WD drives.

The WD drives look nicer on the performance graphs but for me (and probably for most users) that's not perceptible at all.

I hesitated between the Barracuda V and the IBM 180GXP but sided for seagate for its lower noise and my good experience with the IV.

hi, what i really need to know about this hard disk is, is how reliable it is, im tired of having to replace my hard disks ever year or so, if i go out and buy this hard disk, will it last me 2 years, working as a primary hard disk????

I've ordered the 60GB version of Barracuda V, to use in my recording home-studio. the high-pitched whine in my 40gb 120gxp ibm is killing me and my sensitive microphones! now, I've heard some rumours of the barracudas having the dreaded whine that the IV's never had. True? if so, is it only with the dual-platter drives? I'm getting the 60GB and that one only have one platter so it should, on the paper, be as quiet as the 40gb barracuda IV...?

thanks

I build ATA servers part-time, and I will NEVER choose these drives for that.  I will choose them for some of my desktop systems (ones used in audio production), but that is it.

Sun use these drives in a variety of entry level servers and workstations.

If you want performance, get a SCSI drive. This drive is a high quality, super quiet drive - these are the killer attributes. In my book they hold much higher value for an ATA drive than performance.

Regards,

lurqa

I am a little confused... ok maybe a lot.

The review of the SATA cuda V indicated the performance gains primarily due to the 8MB buffer, when compared to the ATA cuda V. Yet on seagate's website, and some of the online retailers, I've noticed there appears to be both a 2mg and 8mg ATA V. I also noticed another drive, the 7200.7 (I think) in 120gb. So it seems there are 3 different ATA 120GB cudas that one can choose from... argh!

I can't decide if I should spend a little more for the 8mb buffer, as it seems (is this correct) that storage review hasn't looked at it. Also, is the 7200.7 something that I should consider as well (and, um... what is it). Thanks a lot in advance.

I just bought Seagate ATA V 60Gb drive and I'm very disappointed to it's performance. Windows XP boot takes 11 seconds (in same pc) more than with my old IBM 7200rpm drive.

Also Sisoft Sandra results are awful:

ATA V: 22500Mb/s

IBM: 31200Mb/s

Weeha! A couple of days ago, my brand new 120GB Barracuda V went haywire, it is dead.. I have tried about ten salvage tools, they didn't do nothing good ;(

I immediately went out to get a clean HD to salvage onto, but got into an argument with the store who sold me the HD, so I choose to go to another store and buy a Matrox DiamondMax9 120GB, it does make a little more noise (compared to seagates whisper!) but I say it's well worth it, if you can keep your HD alive for more than a month...

HOW TO turn on/off the Acoustic Management on Barracuda? and Matrox for that matter! ;)

Personal HD Death list:

1999 - 40GB Matrox - All data recovered, was just slow...

2002 - 60GB IBM - All data lost, including non-backed up work!!

2003 - 120GB Seagate - All data lost, only entertainment though...

R.I.P :?

I find the performance of Seagate Barracuda IV and V drives to be excellent, and nobody should be complaining. So what if they are not the absolute fastest. Their performance is right up there with the fastest, and you will not notice a performance difference in real life usage. Seagate drives are ultra-reliable and the Barracuda IV and V are ultra-quiet.

All Seagate drives made in the past 10 years, and probably longer, have had a track record of being the most reliable in their class. They are also among the fastest, so don't be fooled by benchmarks that say they are slower, when if you actually think about it they are less than 1 percent slower.

If drive A can transfer a 5 gb file in 3.5 seconds, and drive B does it in 3.6 seconds, are you going to notice anything? NO.

Also Sisoft Sandra results are awful:

ATA V: 22500Mb/s

IBM: 31200Mb/s

My score:

Seagate Barracuda ATA V ST360015A 60 GB 7200rpm: 27707

So it is not so bad at all I think. Also it is quiet like mouse :)

At first I thaught it was not spinning at all, until BIOS showed it.