Davin

Seagate Barracuda ATA V

In view of the low noise level and low, very low, performance, are you sure this drive was actually running when you tested it?

It looks good for bulk storage anyway given the very low price for 120gb HDD.

Overall it's a good all rounder drive but if performance benchmark is off any indication, I don't think it deserves a Safe Buy award.

In view of the low noise level and low, very low,  performance, are you sure this drive was actually running when you tested it?

Heh... ;)

In view of the low noise level and low, very low,  performance, are you sure this drive was actually running when you tested it?

Actually, I wouldn't call its performance "very low." At least, not without calling its noise level "very, VERY low." :) The performance is not the best one, but it is decent. The silence kills.

Leo

You know folks, I have been an IBM fan for years, and even a maxtor fan too. THen I heard about the NEW Seagate Barracuda V (and no it is NOT 'Cuda', it is BARRACUDA), I really thought that there speed would at least try to compete with the mid-range 40 gig platter models that are currently available. When I (as most of you have too) read Seagate specs for there new flagship, they say that it is the best combination of performance, toughness and some other mumbo jumbo. Man, I know Seagate is the best for quietness and coolness, but they are mundain in the performance field. If they were to say that their drive was to be used only in office / desktop environments, then fine! But they claim that you can use this drive in ATA servers (entry-level), oh please!

I build ATA servers part-time, and I will NEVER choose these drives for that. I will choose them for some of my desktop systems (ones used in audio production), but that is it. How does one make a drive for ATA servers when it cannot even beat other drives more than a year on the market. It seems to me that they have cut back on performance to make the drive produce less noise. I really haope the reliability has not changed, for those of you who are considering of buy a drive like this-DO NOT!!!

I cannot wait for the new IBM 180GXP or the new maxtors to be reviewed. Now these are drives worth some attention. Like how maxtor forgot the 60 gig platter market and flew to the 80 gig platter market. While IBM made a complete overhall of there drives for the sake of keep some market share (good Move).

Seagate is the LEADER in SCSI, no doubt. But in the ATA market (due to the release of this drive), I HAVE LOST ALL HOPE FOR OTHER FUTURE ATA HDDS FROM THESE GUYS--it is a shame.

Thank you Eugene and Davin for exposing what SEAGATE really produces. Super SLOW ATA drives.

WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!...

god god

Was AAM disabled in the test?

Performance is sub-par unfortuantely. But this drive makes a nice storage drive. I offers decent performance and if noise levels were reduced it's very good for those who want silent pc's.

It's unfortunate that seagate chose to reduce warraties. I would never buy those drive. I'd rather wait for the s-ata version, as I hope it will retain a full 3 year warranty.

I HAVE LOST ALL HOPE FOR OTHER FUTURE ATA HDDS FROM THESE GUYS

You're almost funny. Hope you see yourself as such, rather than thoughtful.

Anyway, while the performance is less than one would have hoped for, it was not what people that went for the previous model primarily sought for. As a disk series aimed towards regular users who does not need more than "enough" harddrive performance but values the low noise (an increasing number of users it seems), it fills its role. If you don't like it then it's just not what you need (hopefully, or you may be fooling yourself), and not a reason to go on any brand sensitive rant. It's fortunate that there is no single drive that is the best for everyone, for then we would have very few manufacturers with much higher prices and still only a one year manufacturer warranty.

The drive excels in its main use: being a Desktop/Home User drive for ultra-silent gaming or living room stations.

I prefer a drive that's 50% quieter even if performance is 5% slower.

Like many of you, I'm concerned about performance too, but my next choice will still be a Barracuda V. My Maxtor DX740'x are way too loud and I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of performance for sanity. How many of you are seriously bottlenecked by the HD anyway? I spend most of my time waiting for Photoshop & other proggies to crunch through a big file, not load & save them.

Would anyone here be willing to recommend a specific drive for a specific function. For example, would you agree the IBM 120 GXP is the best ata (entry level server) drive, the 1200JB is the best desktop drive, and that the D740x (does anyone know what D740x stands for?) is the best general drive for everyhting!

I know that I speak for everyone when I say that STORAGEREVIEW does the best job of hdd testing and rating, so that is why and where I get my information to make such a basis. PLease let me know!

GOD GOD

My Maxtor DX740'x are way too loud and I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of performance for sanity.

Do you have the fluid dynamic bearing version of the D740X? I'd love to see a review of some of Maxtor's FDB drives (the D740X FDB + the Plus 9 versions) on storage review so I know how they compare the Barracuda's...

Do you have the fluid dynamic bearing version of the D740X?

No. Ball bearing version. A 40GB and a 80GB in the same case.

I'd love to see a review of some of Maxtor's FDB drives (the D740X FDB + the Plus 9 versions) on storage review so I know how they compare the Barracuda's

Me too, but I'd suspect it wouldn't be as quiet as the Barracuda's. The Maxtor's don't have the advantage of having that sound absorbing material below the motor!

Has anyone yet purchased one of these drives, it seems to me that the BARRACUDA V may have lower RPM than 7200. It is amazing how quite the drive is, but it is disappointing of how much the performance is substandard!

But what substandard? Are we serious?!!?!

The drive behaves normally. Wait for the 8MB-cached model for super-performance.

Was the Acoustic Management turned off for this review????

Yes, that's standard practice for all drives reviewed here.

it seems to me that the BARRACUDA V may have lower RPM than 7200.

That's one of the silliest assertions I've read. :P

<relentlessly defends the 'Cuda line>

Some things never change :)

trust me that would not be the first time a company has made issues about their spindle speed. And besides, do you know the tolerance is for keeping a 7200 rpm drive at 7200 rpm.

I happily replaced my trouble-prone IBM 75 & 60GXPs with Barracuda IVs. Their performance may not give me bragging rights, but they are far from slow and are blissfully quiet. I find the faint high-pitched whines from most 7200-rpm drives to be be highly annoying, and these are the first drives I haven't been able to hear at all. If I needed a new drive right now, the Barracuda V would be my first choice, but the upcoming model with 8MB cache is what I'm looking forward to for the PC I plan to build next Spring.

all I know is this, my home is quiet and the few db of some 7200 rpm drives is something that is so simple to bare. Besides, you r telling that your hdds are louder than your fans (like the cpu fan). PLease tell me the company who makes those cuz i want them. All of my fans (2) are louder than any hdd in my system.

damn it

It's the pitch, not the volume. The "whooshing" of fans in the back of my PC is far less objectionable to me than the "whining" of hard disks up front. Plus I don't go in for high-powered cooling setups, so my fans aren't terribly loud either. Maybe if they were louder they might completely mask the drive noise, but then they *would* be too loud for my tastes.

Now if these Barracuda's were as slow as my 3-year-old ThinkPad hard drive, I might reconsider. That drive is sssslowwwww...

just listen (look at my name) anyway, you need to understand that I am a hdd authority. Seagate drives are: reliable, cheap in price, and tough. Seagate drive are NOT: fast.

damn it

I have not been able to find an outlet that sells this drive. Even Seagate online looks like they are trying to weed out the ATA IV before promoting/selling the ATA V. Thanks for any insight!

I would like to see how these drives perform in various RAID configurations, especially I’m interested in RAID 0 and RAID 1, because we all know that Barracuda ATA IV drives were not stellar performers in RAID0. I’m not complaining about that, because I knew that fact, before I bought my four 80GB barracudas in spring. If RAID results were included then the whole reviews would be more complete. I know It’s difficult to get more than one drive from the manufactures to test. Anyway, kudos to reviewers. Does anyone know, when these drives will be available in Europe?