Sign in to follow this  
Davin

Fujitsu MAP3147

Fujitsu's MAP3147 unassumingly steps into the ring with a heavy hitter like the Seagate Cheetah 10K.6. Maxtor's Atlas 10k IV also rests right around the corner. Does the MAP have what it takes? SR takes a look!

Fujitsu MAP3147 Review

Interesting article. So, the MAP is better than some 15K drives...

I'm curious, though. In your Sept. 27 announcement, you said:

We apologize about not having either the Ultrastar 146Z10 or Fujitsu MAP review up. Though testing is complete on both units, we've run into some issues relating to each one... as soon as one gets resolved, a review will go up. Thanks for waiting!

So, what was the issue related to the MAP? And how did it get resolved?

Leo

Wow...very impressive. It almost seems that Fujitsu has tweaked their firmware for workstation performance rather than server performance.

As always I would be interested to see how the smaller size drives of this same family compare to the 146GB version. I can always hope can't I?

Guest Eugene
So, what was the issue related to the MAP? And how did it get resolved?

For the MAP, we were waiting for official confirmation from our Fujitsu contact that the recent problems with the firm's drives were IDE-only.

And, for those curious, the 146Z10's problem- One can not powerup the drive without having it run off of a live host adapter, problematic for our objective noise measurements.

Regards,

Eugene

Great Review, but what interests me is how in some tests it performs better than 15 and in some worse than its predecessors. So what gives? What does that software that u guys use that causes such different results. Cuz logically, the drive should be better in every respect to its previous generation. And of course u do realize that the higher the processor u have the faster the results will be!!!

lates

I dont know of any recent fujitsu scsi drive {Not ide or optical media} that can be formatted with Apple's dick drive setup and fujitsu has never supplied any software drivers. All the third party apps that do format the fujitsu scsi drive dont allow it to be a boot drive.

I really want to purchase 2X18GB scsi drives for my multitrack audio needs and I want them to be fujitsu and able to boot in os9 and osX.

Can you get a powermac g4 on loan from apple along with a scsi host card and test for bootability on macs, or have any mac users been able to boot on recent 1year old or less fujitsu drives.

otherwise I have no choice but segate, ibm, or maxtor. :evil: :(

I dont know of any recent fujitsu scsi drive {Not ide or optical media} that can be formatted with Apple's dick drive setup and fujitsu has never supplied any software drivers. All the third party apps that do format the fujitsu scsi drive dont allow it to be a boot drive.

I really want to purchase 2X18GB scsi drives for my multitrack audio needs and I want them to be fujitsu and able to boot in os9 and osX.

Can you get a powermac g4 on loan from apple along with a scsi host card and test for bootability on macs, or have any mac users been able to boot on recent 1year old or less fujitsu drives.

otherwise I have no choice but segate, ibm, or maxtor. :evil: :(

Based on both personal past experience with Fujitsu HD's and the recent mass HD failures by the same company, I wouldn't personally touch a Fujitsu HD with a ten foot pole! My data is too valuable to be trusted to a brand that has demonstrated unacceptable past reliability. With the recent drop in warranties on consumer level HD's by most HD companies, I expect a lot of people will have no choice but to buy enterprise quality level hardware, unless you just use you PC for games or something.

It's a sad state of affairs for the PC Industry as a whole...

Randy

Based on both personal past experience with Fujitsu HD's and the recent mass HD failures by the same company, I wouldn't personally touch a Fujitsu HD with a ten foot pole! My data is too valuable to be trusted to a brand that has demonstrated unacceptable past reliability. With the recent drop in warranties on consumer level HD's by most HD companies, I expect a lot of people will have no choice but to buy enterprise quality level hardware, unless you just use you PC for games or something.

It's a sad state of affairs for the PC Industry as a whole...

Randy

I think I just nnarrowed it down to Seagate, Maxtor and IBM, I just wish segate had an 18 gig. and when will these scsi Prices go down. I mean a 36GB 10.k6 has a oem price of almost $325 while a 80 GIG W.D. 80 GB can be had for less then $80 retail at compusa with rebate. thats $1 dollar per gig 8MB cache compared to almost $9 dollars per GIG.

I know , I know IDE is much more mass produced, small mark up, less complicated, less versatile and now has a smaller warranty but a 900% increase in price is ridiculous. to get 73GB 10k.6 is almost $500. I am almost tempted to get an acard ide to scsi interface for $80 and put in on my W.D. but I cant take the chance with my music and video editing. SCSI has never let me down except in price. Hello Manufators get SCSI price down to twice IDE at the same capacity and you could not keep them in stock . as it is now most people are making do with low cost low margin IDE OR just putting off new SCSI purchases.

The kind of performance the MAP series offers now really make me anticipate the 15k MAS series and Maxtor Atlas 15K, which can perhaps compete successfully with the Seagate 15K.3.