Sign in to follow this  
Styler2K

Has anyone ever heard of a WD600JB???

Hey everyone!

I've been "tuning in" to reviews and discussion forums for a while, but I guess this would be my first post! :-)

Anyways, I just saw an add in the paper today for a WD600JB drive. I tried looking for reviews or user opinions, but have yet to find any.

As per my understanding, one of the things that made the 80 gig version "special" was the 2x 40 Gig platters. According to WD's website, the WD600JB has 3x 20 Gig platters. How do you guys think this would affect performance? And why are specs such as "AVG Seek Times" the same if not worse than many other (60 Gig) hard drives with only 2 meg caches?

Any help would be much appreciated. :D

3x 20 GB (6 heads), that's interesting. WD's older WD600BB had 5 heads (!), which makes 3 platters of 24 GB each, with one side unused. Unfortunately it's hard to make a guess on how fast the WD600JB should be (I don't really think it would be as slow as the old WD400BB with its 20 gig platters), so one would have to get one and run some benchmarks on it... Concerning the seek time specs: Why should those be better in a model with larger cache? The difference in performance between the WD1200BB and WD1200JB, for example, is just a result of the larger cache, mechanically they're identical.

Stephan

I would guess it has either two 30gb platter, or a 60gb platter. Unfortunately for us WD doesent change the drives names when they change the platter density for older drives.

Well, they used to.. WD AC31600 was a 3-platter 1.6GB drive that was eventually recalled due to massive defect rates, while the WD AC21600 was the much more robust 2-platter version of that drive.