Sign in to follow this  
uart

Whats a good low cost 40GB IDE drive (7200rpm)

I'm wondering what people consider the best for a low cost 40GB, 7200rmp IDE drive. Most of the reviews here are for larger drives and I'm not sure how the performance caries over to the smaller drives.

I'm thinking about either Seagate Cuda IV, WD xxxxBB or whatever maxtor makes in this price range. I'm not ruling out other brands if people have any recommendations.

BTW I'm not too concerned about noise but I'm after a good compromise on price, performance and reliability.

Heh your question gets asked once every few days... if not more ;) though I guess your concern about how the performance changes from larger to smaller drives is valid..

For the drives you can buy currently, only Western Digital ones vary in speed from size to size, as their mechanisms MAY vary (their naming convention really needs some work). Been hearing that the newest update of the 400BB has 40 GB/platter though, so that should offer roughly identical performance to its bigger 80 and 120 GB brothers.

For the rest, Seagate Cuda IVs, Maxtor d740x, etc.. speed should be comparable between the different sizes.. I think Seagate claims slightly slower seek times on their 2 platter 60 and 80 GB drives.

Personally I like Seagate, but with the WD at that price in a retail store; thats not a bad deal either. Maxtor some people love, I've personally only had lukewarm experiences with them in friends systems and the systems at work, never owned one myself.

I've had excellent results with the Samsung 40gb 7200.

Good performer, quiet, runs cool.

I would spend the extra $20 to get double the capacity though. 80gigs is the sweet spot right now in 7200 RPM drives. Pay 30% more, get 100% increase in storage. I don't know about you but I can fill a 40 gigger pretty fast.

1: Samsung. Decent performance, good price, superb reliability, and a real three year warranty.

...... (very large gap) ......

2: Western Digital JB. Excellent performance, rather dear, reasonable reliability, three year warranty - but be sure you get the JB, not any other WD drive.

3: IBM/Hitachi Deskstar 120GXP. Good performance, not sure about the price, not sure about the reliability, three year warranty.

...... (another large gap) ......

4: Maxtor Diamondmax Plus. Excellent performance, variable price, good reliability according to other members, crappy one year warranty.

5: Seagate Barracuda ATA-IV. Reasonable performance, good price for the 60GB and 80GB versions but the 40GB unit strangely expensive, reliability seems OK, crappy warranty.

6: Western Digital BB. Reasonable performance, a little dear for what it is, fair reliability, crappy warranty.