Sign in to follow this  
Cavicchi

Question about SP1 and Windows Messenger Sign In

I thought SP1 was supposed to allow us to get rid of Windows Messenger on Start Up. I removed Windows Messenger from the Start Up group but it has come back every time. Why? Is there any way to get Windows Messenger out of my Start Up group?

I have Windows XP.

Thanks!

Did you notice that new icon on the top of the programs menue?

"set program access and defaults" you can use it to remove "middleware" programs...

Did you notice that new icon on the top of the programs menue? 

"set program access and defaults"  you can use it to remove "middleware" programs...

I looked in Add or Remove programs but don't see Windows Messenger listed. I don't understand your "set program access and defaults" - can you explain further?

I remember reading that SP1 was supposed to allow us the option to remove Windows Messenger from the Start Up group or remove it entirely - how is this done?

Thanks!

The Disclaimer on the first link above really scares the hell out of me. 8O

The second link for uninstalling is apparently tested and without problem but I don't know if I want to uninstall. I tried deleting msgsc.dll from the Messenger folder under Program Files and it may have solved the problem. I will have to see what happens. If it does work, I will write it to a CD just in case.

I guess there is another option like using a different e-mail service than Outlook Express. Eudora is supposed to be good and might be another option?