Sign in to follow this  
Stereodude

WD1200JB = Fast

Got my WD1200JB in my box and working today. It definitely feels faster in my everyday use than the 45gig IBM 75GXP I was running. It's nice to get my data of an IBM drive too :-P

Stereodude

Stereodude thank you. I should get one but i really can not sense i do not really need a new HD yet and do not have enough money. But i bet its not earth shattening different from my currect 7200rpm HD. I mean i bet its noticeable but not huge. Not even going to IDE 7200 fastest HD to fastest SCSI is really not all the noticeable or earth shattering difference. Inless you going to work with some huge files and have lots of stuff going on at one time.

Guys, it better be fast... :lol:

With 120GB and 8MB cache it must be at least as fast as the offering from IBM and the "normal" 120GB WD drive...

Newtun what about the feel difference in speed? From your fast IBM IDE HD?

Yes, the WD1200JB seems noticably faster, but not overwhelmingly so. Feels like about 20%±5%.

Forgive me, for I have sinned - I'm still running Win98se, and an ancient (hosed?) install at that, spanning numerous upgrades (mobos, CPUs, sound, video, network cards, etc.). One major reason I got a new HD is to do a fresh install. So take the following with a grain of salt. BTW, mobo is an Abit KT7-RAID, HDs non-RAIDed on the HPT 370, running a standard-clocked 1.2 GHz T-bird.

At any rate, here are the WinBench 99 Disk Benchmarks for the drives:

Maxtor     IBM       WD

[u]DM+40[/u]   [u]75GXP[/u]   [u]1200JB[/u]

Business WinMark (KB/s)    10420    9560    12533

High-End WinMark (KB/s)    20000   26067    26933

Access Time (Ms)            14.0    12.7     14.5

Hope the "table" shows like it previews.

Maxtor     IBM       WD

[u]DM+40[/u]   [u]75GXP[/u]   [u]1200JB[/u]

Business WinMark (KB/s)    10420    9560    12533

High-End WinMark (KB/s)    20000   26067    26933

Access Time (Ms)            14.0    12.7     14.5

Hope the "table" shows like it previews.

I got #'s a lot higher than that. My numbers were higher than the WD120BB that SR tested and higher than the WD1000JB that SR tested.

Stereodude

That's great, SD. I'm looking forward to better all-around performance when I get to the hassle of my re-install.

Subjectively, how much faster does your 1200JB feel than your 75GXP?

That's great, SD.  I'm looking forward to better all-around performance when I get to the hassle of my re-install.

Subjectively, how much faster does your 1200JB feel than your 75GXP?

I'd say about 25%. However I have 768 meg of RAM so I can't really say I wait for disk access much.

Stereodude

Not even going to IDE 7200 fastest HD to fastest SCSI is really not all the noticeable or earth shattering difference. Inless you going to work with some huge files and have lots of stuff going on at one time.

Sorry, you wouldn't say this if you'd tried the fastest SCSI drive on Earth.