Sign in to follow this  
Prof.Wizard

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2

It's a Creative Labs soundcard, therefore it will probably be crap, with drivers written by infinite monkeys on infinite keyboards.

Hopefully this will encourage the development of something like the proven Turtle Beach Santa Cruz 2 or the like.

The software is crap, but the hardware is really top-notch Sivar.

I have the Audigy Platinum and haven't installed anything Creative (except the basic drivers). Works fine.

I thought that the original Audigy was a pretty unspectacular product - all they seem to be doing with the Audigy 2 is adding features that really ought to have been in the original product, bit like Coppermine PIII being the "real" PIII and Katmai just being a pair of pants. As for the point about Creative's drivers I couldn't agree more - if any system has weird problems and a creative card in it then the problem is never hard to solve :lol:

Guest russofris

I have the Audigy Platinum

The Audigy box came with a "24Bit" sticker on the box. Could it record a 24/96 file? No. Could it play a 24/96 file... Yes, downsampled to 24/48 (16/48 in reality).

So here comers the Audigy2, with a 24bit sticker on the box and a press release that says that it does 24/96 recording. Should I believe them this time? No. Why not? Because they didn't explicitly state that the file can be played back at 24/96. I'm tired of these assholes getting off on fricking technicalities.

And don't get me started on the entire "Hardware DRM" issue!

Not only will I not buy another Creative product, I will immediately smash any Creative product I see with a medium sized hammer, and make this world a safer place for all of us.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

From the Audigy 2 page:

The new Audigy 2 chip, premium quality 24-bit/192kHz Digital to Analog Converters (DACs), and a true 24-bit ADVANCED HD audio path ensure "hiss-free" audio fidelity and exceptional clarity of 106dB SNR.

A 24-bit DAC doesn't necessarily mean excellent quality. I'd be willing to bet that my Audiophile 2496 will easily beat the Audigy 2 when it comes to audio output. The Audigy 2 needs *600mb* of hard drive space, continues with the same crap *cough*DRM*cough* features, and has support from Creative's legendary driver team - every intelligent computer user should pass these by and wait for Turtle Beach's upcoming card.

I have the Audigy Platinum and haven't installed anything Creative (except the basic drivers). Works fine.

Hardware is useless without the software. If you installed only the basic drivers you are missing out on most of the advertised functionality of the card.
The Audigy box came with a "24Bit" sticker on the box. Could it record a 24/96 file? No. Could it play a 24/96 file... Yes, downsampled to 24/48 (16/48 in reality).

Yes, and their SNR (signal to noise ratio) claims have always been false as well. 100DB SNR with a 16-bit card (the Audigy)? Riiiight.

A friend of mine in Idaho tested the sound output playing a 16 bit 44KHz wave file:

SNR 81 dB 0.0041% THD frequency response -0.2 + 0.3 dB 20-20 KHz

A far cry from the claimed values. The TB Santa Cruz's SNR was just over 5Db better.

Creative Labs cards have long had terribly hardware incompatibility problems never fixed across generations of cards (Consider the Live!'s problem with the i815, and the i850... Oh wait, same problem) and the VIA compatibility problems (Why does every other soundcard work great in VIA systems?) What about the ACPI problems which CL never even admitted to? As far as audio quality, the Audigy seems to have harsh, sometimes shrill mid ranges. I can't notice anything else with my current audio equipment.

All of this pales in comparison to the issues of their drivers though.

Most of the worst stories I have heard come from friends and friends of friends, but I have personally experienced:

• 1) BSODs, reported to be caused by the sound card drivers.

2) The system decides every few months that the drivers aren't installed, askes for the CD, and ultimately requires that I reinstall the original drivers and then the patch. (One cannot simple download the full latest version because...???)

3) Sound randomely no longer working, requiring reboot or restart of the applications.

4) Suddenly and for no apparent reason, reverb is set to the maximum possible setting-ting-ing-ng. (though this has only happened twice)

Is there a compelling reason to knowingly get a Creative Labs soundcard rather than a good card?

Is there a compelling reason to knowingly get a Creative Labs soundcard rather than a good card?

Yes - the breakout box on the Platinum EX is a nice feature if you have a seperate tower. It is _much_ better built than the one from Hercules Theater XP, of which I returned two before I got the Creative.

But those drivers and apps DO suck - turns out that my problems with fast user switching causing a BSOD under XP were due to my Creative software...

Future Shock

I wonder if their product announcement is not timed vs VIA Envy24 chip production? This is the chipset used in Terratec's latest cards as well as Ego Sys sound cards. CL is best at marketing their products.

--

Gilbert

Hardware is useless without the software. If you installed only the basic drivers you are missing out on most of the advertised functionality of the card.

I think the sound is much better than anything comparable to friends' audio cards. No, I'm not explaining my purchase. It is just that the Audigy Platinum I got had all the features I wanted:

-Nice sound.

-EAX HD (EAX 3) for superb gaming.

-Remote. (yes installed the app for the IR control)

-In/Out for my turntable.

Yes, the drivers/programs are stupid, but the 3rd-party bundled applications are just fine.

I think the sound is much better than anything comparable to friends' audio cards

Do you all have the same speakers etc?

When you come to the UK next year as planned remind me to demonstrate my Turtle Beach 8)

When you come to the UK next year as planned remind me to demonstrate my Turtle Beach  8)

The first thing I'll do once I reach London, Will, is definitely meet you and your fancy PC components. :wink:

What's going on with all of you and these Turtle Bitch sound cards? I thought they were entry-level solutions but seems that many people are returning perfect sound fidelity results... I think I'll have to visit the site.

actually even back in the SB16 days, Turtle Beech was known for producing higher quality cards then Creative. The only problem then was that the Creative cards were SB16 compatible (Big issue in the DOS days), while the Turtle Beech cards were most generaly not.

It's taken Turtle Beach a while to fight back from their position in the DOS days.

What's linux support like for the Turtle Beech cards btw?

-Chris

I struggled with the POS audigy drivers for months before I finally figured out that creative labs does indeed produce crappy software (others had warned me). After changing to my turtle beach card, I've not had a single BSOD in almost a year, whereas I was having them several times a week with audigy.

I for one will NEVER buy another creative product again. Think long and hard before -you- do.

Creative cards have also had quite a few problems on dual systems, mine included. A forum search on 2CPU will show you some stories and I can tell you a few of my own. Almost everyone running a dual system that replied to a poll on the site had nothing but praise for the TBSC.

I went with a Gametheater XP for my new dual workstation, and will be going TBSC for my second one. Top reason is stability.

In other news, Hercules released new drivers for the GTXP, adding an extra channel of sound (I think that takes them to either 6.1 or 7.1). Not bad for an apparently aging card.

*Looks in part bin for beloved Gravis UltraSound*

What's going on with all of you and these Turtle Bitch sound cards? I thought they were entry-level solutions but seems that many people are returning perfect sound fidelity results... I think I'll have to visit the site.

No way, Turtle Beach has made mostly mid-to-high-end cards. Take a look at their past cards: http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/support/kb.asp. Only a few entry-level cards (Daytona, Monte Carlo, perhaps the Montego series).

Can't wait to see what the successor to the Santa Cruz will be. :)

Can't wait to see what the successor to the Santa Cruz will be. :)

Me too, dude. :wink:

Because now I'm really curious about this brand I was neglecting till now.

Its also got "digital rights management" built into it, so it wont play all those nasty mp3's you steal from the internet...

MP3s don't have any encryption, so DRM will not stop the Audigy2 from playing them.

Lets change gears guys. What is your opinion of the Philips Acoustic Edge sound card?  Id was using this sound card to demo Doom III.

It comes in a really big box.