Sign in to follow this  
Prof.Wizard

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2

The boxes are the same there buddy...

Lets change gears guys. What is your opinion of the Philips Acoustic Edge sound card?  Id was using this sound card to demo Doom III.

It comes in a really big box.

Personally I won't ever buy a Creative designed product again until they learn how to write good drivers. Their last good soundcard was the AWE64 if you ask me. SB 128 and Live had horrible drivers and I won't touch an Audigy with a 10' pole. I DO have a GeForce 3 Ti200 from Creative but it's actually made by MSI so I'm not too worried about it :)

Well, I have both the SB and Phillips and I hate the fact that the Creative Labs installs all that crap from its CD and the only way to disable it is to uninstall it. It obtrusive. Its all bloatwear. One you install it, your screwed...

Guest russofris
Personally I won't ever buy a Creative designed product again until they learn how to write good drivers.  Their last good soundcard was the AWE64 if you ask me. 

AWE64's has a bad clock on them, so doing simultanious A/V recording always came out of synch. I spent quite a few hours contemplating suicide before discovering the problem. Even recording analog over a midi track was out of synch (partially due to the clock innacuracys in the AWE). MTC ofset had to be set to 5000 to even come close.

AWE64 was a goos consumer gaming/listening card for the day, but did not approach pro-sumer levels.

The last good CL cound card was the AWE32 w/additional ram added.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

The acoustic edge is a really wonderful card, HMTK. A better choice, IMO, than the other "name" cards out there at the moment.

That said, I'll probably pick up an audigy2 so I can listen to my DVD-As somewhere other than my bedroom.

I miss my Gravis UltraSound...

The drivers sucked, the sound font files where huge, (I once spent 24 hours downloading them, slept on my couch in a sleeping bag) but it was better than creative labs had at the time... (awe 64 was just comming out when gravis died, and got bought by logitech)

but its the one antique computer part that I fondly recall...

Frank's post caused me to erupt with gales of laughter in the office, prompting people to look around for the source: :lol: "Not only will I not buy another Creative product, I will immediately smash any Creative product I see with a medium sized hammer, and make this world a safer place for all of us." :lol:

I must be one of few who actually loves his Audigy card. I'm just a poweruser who games a lot and I had no probs so far with my Audigy. It works fine under Win2k and Linux for 4 speaker output.

I'm not a musician and I don't record sounds, all I do is playing games and therefor it's perfect. The Audigy is a great card for gaming but it's not a good choice for advanced music recordings.

I have the old Klipsch Promedia v.2-400 speakers, not the very best but certainly at the higher end. My PC is also rather loaded (AGP video, Audigy, Tekram U3W, PCI Modem, NIC, 3 memory sticks) and everything is playing along nicely.

I agree that the SB!Live was VERY picky with the used PCI slot and that the included additional software is nothing anyone really wants on his machine ... but with only the drivers it's a very good card for gamers that enjoy EAX.

SMP systems might be a different story, that's something I might encounter with my future PC.

I'd be willing to bet that my Audiophile 2496 will easily beat the Audigy 2 when it comes to audio output.

I have a different opinion. The M-audio Audiophile 2496, in terms of music sound quality through its analog outputs, is not even clearly better than a SB Live. The fact is, it is an ASIO card for electronic music production with software such as Reason. Those who don't produce or don't need 2496 i/o have no need for this card, because its sound quality doesn't justify the extra cost. It uses a JRC 5532 op-amp of all things. Clearly the money went toward drivers, marketing, support, demo software, and features, but not hardware quality. Although it apparently has a pretty good design and trace layout, demonstrated by the relatively low distortion, as far as sound quality goes it is nothing special.

I would describe its sound characteristic as smeared, under-powered, weak in the bass, and having a weak tonal quality. It sounds to me just like a Live, except the Live has better bass and is just a tad less clean on the order of being imperceptible in instantaneous A/B switching.

Hopefully you use the Audiophile in the one thing it does excel at, being ASIO with entry level synth emulation software. Too many have purchased this soundcard at the recommendation of others who have never heard it and don't understand its purpose.

I'd be willing to bet that my Audiophile 2496 will easily beat the Audigy 2 when it comes to audio output.

I have a different opinion. The M-audio Audiophile 2496, in terms of music sound quality through its analog outputs, is not even clearly better than a SB Live. The fact is, it is an ASIO card for electronic music production with software such as Reason. Those who don't produce or don't need 2496 i/o have no need for this card, because its sound quality doesn't justify the extra cost. It uses a JRC 5532 op-amp of all things. Clearly the money went toward drivers, marketing, support, demo software, and features, but not hardware quality. Although it apparently has a pretty good design and trace layout, demonstrated by the relatively low distortion, as far as sound quality goes it is nothing special.

I would describe its sound characteristic as smeared, under-powered, weak in the bass, and having a weak tonal quality. It sounds to me just like a Live, except the Live has better bass and is just a tad less clean on the order of being imperceptible in instantaneous A/B switching.

Hopefully you use the Audiophile in the one thing it does excel at, being ASIO with entry level synth emulation software. Too many have purchased this soundcard at the recommendation of others who have never heard it and don't understand its purpose.

You'd have to be out of your mind to use this card with its analog outputs. I use the composite out to my Onkyo. This is in comparison to the optical out on my now-sold Audigy Platinum EX. The difference in sound quality is HUGE on my HD600s. (Much less muddy, much more pronounced LFE)

As an added bonus, it actually has drivers that work properly in dual-cpu configurations...

Ultimately, it didn't cost me anything extra, since it runs right around the price of a Platinum EX.

Oh, headphones. I can't disagree with you there since I haven't done much headphone listening.

You'd have to be out of your mind to use this card with its analog outputs.

Yep, I did so for comparison purposes only. For speaker use, there are better source alternatives than soundcards.

What are better alternatives for sound-reproduction using a digital signal and still costing around USD$200, while maintaining some form of compatibility with games? I personally couldn't find anything better than Envy 24-based sound cards, so perhaps you've discovered something I should examine! :)