B4RSK

Fujitsu IDE HDDs -- Further information

*sry haven't foud the edit function*

A possible solution could be to reduce the speed of the motor, too.

But therefore someone had to get the firmware!

I have two MPG 3409 ATs, one 3409 AH and one 3204 AH.

Update from me: Only the 3409 AH is still alive, both 3409 ATs and the 3204 AH have died. And the Seagate Barracuda IV (80GB), which replaced one of the ATs, is also gone.

Harddisk reliability seems to be a serious issue these days.

@MrFenix: I don't think you can change the spindle speed of a harddrive. AFAIK the "ek ek"-Problem is caused by the controller chip as well.

Till now it works perfectly.

Only @ the end of low leveling i had som ek's again. But it worked, too.

Now the drive will serve as my 5 Linux distibutions in 2 weeks testing container :D

I found some "Fujitsu recovery tool" on the edonkey network.

ed2k://|file|fujitsu-recoverytoolv202a.zip|1392031|0CD0D668311206872322CFF01657A3DD|/

Filename is fujitsu-recoverytoolv202a.zip

Included is a .pdf that says "Fujitsu MPG series HDD recovery tool manual".

Condition: "The harddisk is not recognized by the system but the motor is spinning". Harddisk has to be set to master.

The tool consists of two parts (on a boot floppy). It automatically launches some recovery process (I guess it's flashing a new firmware + checks for bad sectors) and then tries to copy all data to another drive.

I tried the tool on a MPG3409AT which was not recognized even by the BIOS anymore. The tool said immediately "one sector recovered", told me to switch the system off (not: reset it) and when it booted again, it tried to run a copy process (which was not possible because there was no other harddisk connected).

After that, the drive is now recognized by the BIOS again

On another drive that was still recognized by the BIOS (but sometimes the motor stops after longer use) the tool immediately tried to start the copy process.

Maybe this helps someone.

Could send the tool by mail (~1,4 MB). Requests to MPG_user@hotmail.com

I tried the tool on a MPG3409AT which was not recognized even by the BIOS anymore. The tool said immediately "one sector recovered", told me to switch the system off (not: reset it) and when it booted again, it tried to run a copy process (which was not possible because there was no other harddisk connected).

After that, the drive is now recognized by the BIOS again

Worked only temporarily. Now the drive isn't recognized anymore, even after using that tool a second time :(