B4RSK

Fujitsu IDE HDDs -- Further information

I have two fujitsu 40gig's... model MPG3409AH E

The cirruslogic chip on the controller is model CL-SH8671-45OE-A4

note the A4 at the end... i guess this is a revision after the "doomed" A3??

they are manufactred at 2001-09 in thailand

Am i in the clear or will these drives definately fail?

thanks

I have two fujitsu 40gig's... model MPG3409AH  E

The cirruslogic chip on the controller is model CL-SH8671-45OE-A4

note the A4 at the end... i guess this is a revision after the "doomed" A3??

they are manufactred at 2001-09 in thailand

Am i in the clear or will these drives definately fail?

thanks

No !

"A4" is a revision of MASK ROM of MPU core.

Zes, this drive maz fail in near time... Backup all important information.

Hi everybody,

I'm somewhat involved in the Cirrus/Fujitsu mess... Prowling thru the net I ended with my bones inhere and WOW... there is a post 10/02/02 from "hwdiver" that claims a 99'9% repair success for non BIOS detected drives.

hwdiver wrote:

"* Drive not detected. Problems with system information on the plates (in

firmware zone). Recoverable in 99.9% cases."

Will you please exend this info... is there any way we (users/techs) can achieve such a fixing procedure?

I'm pretty sure your comment over this is issue shall be *really* very welcomed ;-)

CU.

Hi everybody,

I'm somewhat involved in the Cirrus/Fujitsu mess... Prowling thru the net I ended with my bones inhere and WOW... there is a post 10/02/02 from "hwdiver" that claims a 99'9% repair success for non BIOS detected drives.

hwdiver wrote:

"* Drive not detected. Problems with system information on the plates (in 

firmware zone). Recoverable in 99.9% cases."

Will you please exend this info... is there any way we (users/techs) can achieve such a fixing procedure?

I'm pretty sure your comment over this is issue shall be *really* very welcomed ;-)

CU.

I,m preaty sure that the "hwdiver" refered to the firmware update "GEN 101" on the fujitsu website, that was produced especialy for this problem.

I, personal tried this sollution and it worked on 99,9% of the fujitsu Hdd thet are not or wrong detected. The problem for me is that: after this procedure the HDD will work for a long time or just for a short period.

f you can answer for me at this questions please contact me.

format_b.

Hello again,

Well, I found the "Generic 1.01" upgrade utility some time ago. But it claims to be useful for 10 and 20 GB drives, at least that's what Fujitsu's

download site says:

"A utility to upgrade model MPG3102AT-E and MPG3204AT-E 5400RPM ATA drives only."

Unfortunatelly I'm *fighting* against a 30GB MPG3307AT-E. And I'm not quite sure if I can get the whole thing even worst by running such utility.

Any approach?

Thanks again.

P.S. BTW, I've even swapped the deffective drive's eeprom chip (not a task for the faint-heartyed) with a fully (at the moment) functional board, not to speak about fridges and other oddities... I've also tried them all: No success.

My mpg3102at starts failing after a few mins in operation. It is definatly a heat problem as i was able to recover all my data with a Cpu fan blowing air directly over the controler chip keeping it cool. Though if your drive is at the stage where the bios won't reconise it at cold boot you won't have much luck with my method.

Infact it is working perfect like this. I advise anyone who has a MPG series to backup there data and replace it or if you must continue to use it please get a fan of at least 50 60mm in diameter and makesure it is directing air over the controler chips.

I have a MPF3204AH and it as exactly the same proble, BIOS stoped detecting it when it is hot and sometimes blocks other devices connected to the same IDE, wich BIOS stops detecting too.

Once it is not any of the MPG, does anyone have a solution :?: ?

Thanks.

Could you tell me where is the SA Modules?

Also A4 has the same problem as A3 (CL-SH8671-450E?

It looks that your site does not work.

Thanks

==============

Hi' date=' everybody!

The fault with the drives isn`t in the Cirrus Logic controller chip ONLY.

In many cases this drive have problems with SA (system area) modules

But problems with CirrusLogic chip are real. By the way, there are [b']two

[/b] revision of this chip:

CL-SH8671-450E-A3

CL-SH8671-450E-A4

hwdiver, I am curious of what would one need to read the BIOS of a hard drive and make sense of the code? Can you just pull the *ROM and put it into a standard reader/programmer?

spaseba.

I have an MPG3204AH, P/N CA05762-B341, S/N VJ02T1404JWR, ID:YF1J, Date: 2001-04. Cirrus chip: CL SH8671-450E-A3

This drive refused to boot recently, and I had to restore to an older drive for a few days. I decided to try the MPG3204AH again after that time, and it worked and is still OK now.

I am unsure if it is worth trying the firmware "fix" mentioned, as the discription appears to rule out this model on both date and model type.

Appreciate any response.

hi ... had couple of my customers that had problems with MPF and MPG drives. ...

Found a data recovery company that can retreive data from those drives... if anyone needs his data that bad ... :?

www.cbltech.com

Think they have a fixed price too ... :D

I'd built about half a dozen computer using 20GB Fujitsu MPG drives over a period from about 12months to 18 months ago. Over the last summer (summer has just ended here in Australia) every single one of them has failed. :(

These HD's are just a time bomb waiting for a hot day.

If I send them back under warrantee whats the bet any replacements will be exactly the same and fail again next summer. If so it would not even be worth the effort of sending them back.

Has anyone else RMA'ed these drives. If so what did they send you in return?

If you send the drives back under the recall, then they should send out a refurbished unit with the problematic chip(s) replaced on the PCBA. There's no reason to send out parts that have known issues if replacing it was the point of the recall in the first place.

Thanks to everyone here who's been posting on the Fujitsu MPG 3xxxAx issue. My MPG 3204AT failed last Saturday, running fine until it disappeared after a reboot. I replaced it with a new WD 40GB drive and got on with life, but I was curious about the possibility of repairing it. Googling got me to this site, which pointed me to the Flash utility available at the Fujitsu website.

This morning I downloaded the utility, put the old drive back in my system and booted off of the flash floppy. The utility claimed to have recovered the drive and indicated that no firmware update was needed. I just installed the old drive as a slave in another system, and it was recognised during boot. I was able to mount the partitions on it and I'm in the process of copying all my formerly lost data onto a newer HD.

Summary - Fujitsu's Flash utility works on dead drives. Go try it out!

Eric

I have two MPG 3409 ATs, one 3409 AH and one 3204 AH.

One of the two MPG 3409 ATs gives me trouble since yesterday. Sometimes it is not recognized on boot ( Asrock K7VM2, Duron 650@866, 512 MB DDR, Geforce 2MX, Matrox G200, ST Audio DSP24 Value, one 3409 and a CD Writer on first IDE, second 3409 on second IDE). Sometimes it boots and after a few minutes (up to 30) it produces a "clack" sound and stops, the computer (WinXP SP1a) freezes, the drive spins up again. This pattern is repeated, intervals become shorter until the pc locks up completely. Drive temperature ~35°C.

The drive was built 06/2001. The Fujitsu drive test "fjdt" gives the error code "A131G9", meaning "SMART log error".

I checked all cables, changed master/slave settings, swapped the drives, changed the PSU. Any chance that the drive is NOT completely dead? What about that error message?

PS: This morning (cooler than yesterday here in Germany) I managed to copy the complete content of the faulty disk to another one (lucky me:)).

This "works if the drive is cool" phenomenon is typical for a drive with the faulty Cirrus Logic chip about to die. Having a fan blow at the PCB should keep the drive working long enough to scrape the data off, but a repair is hardly worth it - you'd have to get a replacement chip (almost impossible) AND remove the old one AND solder in the new one (SMD stuff, rather tricky). I'd cool the other MPG very, very well (I normally use a slow 80 mm fan in front of the drive).

Stephan

Thanks for the answer. Any idea how Fujitsu handle their three-year-warranty in Germany? I´ll call their service in Munich later, but I´d like to be prepared;)

I got a MPG3204AT E @ Cirrus A3 Chip

It's just the same mess with my drive. Fortunately I haven't lost any data on it.

But I want that 20GB !

Hmm i was wondering a lot when I found out that the firmware can't be read from the drive (I used the tool mtkflash).

And to say something to the Ek-Ek problem, I found out it is definetly caused by the motor which does not get enough power.

So maybe a solution to restore the drive could be to find a nother powersupply for the motor!

If someone could find out how much Volt the motor uses and how u have to supply it................