Sign in to follow this  
Davin

Seagate Cheetah 10K.6

Great review Eugene. The most impressive thing about it is the STR but other than that it's only marginally better than the older Atlas 10K III and the Fujitsu 10k rpm drives. So unless it's priced very aggressively I don't see it as a big seller for Seagate.

I would be interested to know how the smaller sizes of this drive perform. With less heads to move the seeks should be slightly faster and with less heads and platters it should be even quieter and cooler.

Is there anyway that Seagate would give you a review sample of the 36GB unit?

I wish Seagate would continue to make 18GB drives, I really don't need a 36GB boot drive, which is all I use SCSI drives for. Why pay for the extra storage space when I can get an ultra cheap IDE drive for that?

Though it's not fast enough to consider replacing my Cheetah 36ES anyways.

Well I'd have to say that the lack of comment so far regarding this drive does not bode well for it's future as a "Geeks" HDD. However more than likely if it's priced right the OEM and coporate market will love it. Particular the 146GB model I would think.

Drives like this blow up your plans about saving some money and sticking with IDE... :(

Premium technology, density, and noise/temp levels... a true champion!

Quoting from the article:

Interestingly, Seagate chose to stick with traditional ball-bearing motors in the 10K.6 rather than introducing the fluid dynamic bearing motors that hit the 15K series with last year's X15-36LP. Why? There's really no concrete answer aside from the general impression that the 15K series incorporates all of the latest and greatest technologies while the 10K line retains the tried and true.

I think it pretty much sums up the distinction between Seagate's 15K and 10K lines. On one hand, it's a pity to see 10K.6 performing only on par with the older Atlas 10K III and Fujitsu MAN drives. But on the other hand, it also means that Atlas 15K might not be better than 15K.3, no matter how the 10K drives compare. :)

Leo

Too bad Seagate doesn't use FDB in this disk. It would be very nice to have a fast, quiet disk without the premium one pays for the 15k.3. Pushing 15k drives perhaps? Still, I'm considering buying a 15k.3 18 GB to replace my Cheetah 36ES as a boot drive. The 10k.6 would be nice for storage if the price were right.

There is a small typo inside the review on the first page.

Quote:

"Introduced in 1996, Seagate's venerable 10K RPM line is now in its sixth generation. Featuring up to four platters that pack 36 gigabytes of data each, the flagship Cheetah 10K.6 can store 146 megabytes of data in a low-profile form factor."

Hopefully what really is inside the drive are 4 platters of 36GB each, with a total of 146 gigabyte storage :)

I can't help lauging a little, a typo in a line which puts stress on the amount of space inside the drive. Seems a little too ironic for me not to laugh :)

-Uffe

Guest Eugene
Hopefully what really is inside the drive are 4 platters of 36GB each, with a total of 146 gigabyte storage :)

I can't help lauging a little, a typo in a line which puts stress on the amount of space inside the drive. Seems a little too ironic for me not to laugh :)

Ouch ;P

Fixed, thanks :)

i am glad to see that finally, some one has made a really good 10k drive.

damn is it fast :roll:

You would have said the same about Maxtor Atlas 10K III and Seagate Cheetah 36ES2, same period last year.

i am glad to see that finally, some one has made a really good 10k drive.

damn is it fast  :rolleyes:

You would have said the same about Maxtor Atlas 10K III and Seagate Cheetah 36ES2, same period last year.

Cheetah 36ES2...? I know of a Barracuda 36ES2 and a Cheetah 36ES... Never heard from a Cheetah 36ES2.

I've been burnt on the first series raptor - I don't know if I trust WD enough to give them my money again..............

I'd rather wait several months after the release of this and be 100% sure that END USERS get the final version of the drive with TCQ and the same kind of performance (OR HIGHER) than in this review.